Resonance behavior

Official support for: lennardigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In one of those Moog emulation threads they spoke of what a sweep should sound like. I rarely use resonance, but noticed that when using a lot of resonance (like 12 o'clock on the layer resonance knob and max on the global resonance knob) and doing a layer cutoff sweep (while global cutoff is set to 12 o'clock as well), there is a mini sweep between 2 and 3 o'clock after the main sweep is already finished. Is it supposed to be like that? 8)

Just noticed the dirty sweep behavior again. Does that also have to do with aliasing?
Here you can hear the high-frequency chaos both after the upwards sweep as such is already over and again on the way back before the sweep itself begins:

https://app.box.com/s/h7ivfey1q6aa2y2gr6p6dbzha0w0lcnm

Sorry for the ugly sweep itself, had to use the mod wheel as I haven't found out how to make Reaper record mouse-operated GUI control movements, yet 8)

That's a pretty extreme amount of resonance you're using there, even beyond the point of self-oscillation. Which means that you're driving the filter stages to the extreme, causing lots of distortion, which in return will cause aliasing artifacts such as in your recording.

In the upcoming Sylenth1 update the filter will have reduced aliasing though, and will also have an option to oversample the entire synth to reduce aliasing even further.

Either way, in most cases you will not use such huge amounts of resonance, as the self oscillation kind of takes over the sound anyway.

I had the layer resonance knob set to max and the global one to 12 o'clock. Seems that was too much then :hihi:
I just tried it as I was comparing the resonance behavior of a couple of synths.

What is the neutral position of the global resonance knob? Zero?
And of the global cutoff knob?

The global knobs just add the values, so you're at resonance level 10 + 5 = 15.

Neutral would be no resonance, which means both Resonance knobs set to 0. Usually you would leave one of the two knobs to 0.

There is no global position for cutoff, you could set one of the knobs halfway and play with the other.

In other words, like with the Presets -> Clear patch :wink:

So, will the new, oversampled version become available in 2018?

Yes, it's mostly ready, so within the next month hopefully!

Cool :)
If you wish, I can test the beta, I have a lot of spare time these days...

Lennard wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:20 pm

In the upcoming Sylenth1 update the filter will have reduced aliasing though, and will also have an option to oversample the entire synth to reduce aliasing even further.

:)

Return to “LennarDigital”