Videos Relating To The DC18

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I couldn't install the Mono Repeater entry but I've got 26 other DC18 entries downloaded, unzipped, installed, and ready to be tested. I'm about to test the MSDevil entry. I'm thinking of making a video of the test. The video won't be done professionally, it will be hastily done (in 10 minutes at most in my case because my video screen capturer is a demo and has a ten minutes usage limit). I'll probably test all 26 entries and make videos of all the tests, if I have time (looks like it, 24 more days to go and I'm putting speed scrabble on hold).

I'm doing it because the testings would be a good way for me to further get used to REAPER 0.999 and to refresh my memory of the easily forgettable video-making process. And also, the tests would be a good way for me to ensure I try out each and everyone of the 26 entries and therefore vote more properly.

But, I have no idea if I would be testing the VST plugins and the lone standalone entry "properly"... but the devs and others could point out those "misuses" and possibly my ignorance of important functions of those DC18 entries, if they see the videos. There are three soundware entries and I guess there's no way to "misuse" those.

If you know of existing videos relating to the DC18 entries, if you want, you can provide links of those here too. Or you can make your own videos and provide links for those.

Okay, I'm off to do a testing (maybe 2 or 3 today) and to video capture it. I'm committed now. I'll probably have link(s) later today but meanwhile can anybody provide links now? Anyways, okay bye.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Yesterday, I had problems with REAPER 0.999. I had to create a subfolder inside the VSTPlugins folder which I named "KVR Developer Challenge 2018" and when I clicked on the "Clear cache and rescan directory" button in the REAPER Preferences, I kept getting error messages like the one in the attached picture below.

But I did manage to make a video of my testing of the MSDevil DC18 entry. But just when I was about to post a link to my video, I realised that developers might not think that it's a good idea for anyone to make videos of their entries during the KVR Challenge, especially if the videos don't do justice to what is being tested.

As stated before, one of the reasons I make my videos is because of this thought: "I will make my videos, I hope the devs sees them and if I am using their plugins wrongly then who better than the devs themselves to hopefully educate me (and others) on the better, more correct way(s) to use their plugins."

Okay so, devs, what say you? Is it a bad idea? And what about after the Developer Challenge is done? Is that the best time to make videos? Or is it always a bad idea for anyone (but the developers themselves) to make videos of the(ir) DC18 entries?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

It might've been a good idea to have used Inspire CCs Dome and sweep generators but good on you for giving this a shot.
I think any user that produces videos of instruments is fine as long as it's done with some musicality and forethought.
In the past some guy put out a video of one of my instruments and just plinkety plonked on it blindly. It was painful to listen to. I asked politely if he'd remove it and he did, thankfully.
ImageSamplesphere

Developer of Inspire CC, thanks for the reply.
Samplesphere wrote:It might've been a good idea to have used Inspire CCs Dome and sweep generators but good on you for giving this a shot.
So far, I've only made one video relating to the DC18, the one for MSDevil. And usually, I try not to test more than one DC entry per video.
Samplesphere wrote:I think any user that produces videos of instruments is fine as long as it's done with some musicality and forethought.
I may fail on both. I'm not sure how musical I am. With regards to forethought, there's not much in my case. My thought is basically: firstly, run the plugin to see if the plugin installed properly. Spend a few seconds checking if there is sound and/or determine the main function of the plugin. Do that for the rest of the DC entries. On the second time, do the test while the video capture software is running.
Samplesphere wrote:In the past some guy put out a video of one of my instruments and just plinkety plonked on it blindly. It was painful to listen to. I asked politely if he'd remove it and he did, thankfully.
"Plinkety plonked on it blindly" is pretty much how I make my videos". In my case, I'm just "hastily testing" the plugins. But when uploading the video, I can include the word "Blindly Testing" in the title. For example: "Blindly Testing The MSDevil VST Plugin".

If the developer thinks that I should remove my video about their Developer Challenge entry, I would too. Well, not remove but make private so that only I can see it.

I find that looking at some of my own videos is sometimes useful to me later on because even though at the time that I made the video, it might not have impressed me... it might later on. For example, I made a video of the Refractor entry from the previous Developer Challenge. I made the video so hastily that Refractor at that time was just "one of the many DC entry that I had to finish making a video for".

But just the other day, I saw that video again and I'm like "I need to reinstall Refractor because that sounds good to me, why did I even uninstall it?". Oh wait I rememember. One needs Native Instruments' Reaktor to run Refractor. But a few or so weeks ago, I redownloaded pretty much all the free Native Instruments demos and so I can reinstall Refractor too.

So yeah, I guess that's how I will proceed. I'll just make my "hasty testing" videos and if the developer hates the video then I will make the video private. But sometimes I get comments on my videos like "Where can I download this plugin?" and "I can't get this plugin to work, please help." And I do try to help them. So I figure, even if my videos suck big time, some viewers at YouTube just cares about the plugins and, I hope, probably thinks "I can use this plugin much better than the fool who made this video."

Blindly testing the MSDevil by beatassist.eu. I'm not actually physically blind.
The video might be a bit too long. It didn't feel like that while testing.
Time flew. Doing it is nothing like watching it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgA2lRsYopY

Fair enough to all you said.
I mistakenly thought a video of Inspire CC by a YouTube user named UPROAR 24 was yourself.
ImageSamplesphere

Although I am mostly using the recommended 1920 x 1080 screen resolution for daily use, I am finding that some GUI for freeware VSTs don't fit properly when using the 1280 X 720 screen resolution. That widescreen 1280 x 720 resolution, I find, is very suitable for uploading videos to YouTube.

I did the testing for the Beat DRMR entry and the whole DRMR GUI is not visible when using the 1280 x 720 widescreen resolution.
It might be partly because REAPER 0.999 can only dock VST plugins horizontally. I'm not even sure the new REAPER can do it vertically.
Even if the new REAPER can do it vertically, maybe some VST plugins' GUI still won't fit if the screen resolution is 1280 x 720 or any widescreen aspect ratio.

Anyways, the Beat DRMR entry has so many presets (it's great that there's so many) but I couldn't audition all the presets and make them all fit in my 10-minutes-maximum video. So, I just sequentially auditioned the DRMR's first few presets till I almost ran out of time.
https://youtu.be/lY5EfwQJqew

Some screen recording software allows to record only a portion of the screen so you can run the screen at 1920 x 1080 but record a 1280 x 720 portion of the screen. Maybe that would work better for you.

Xenobioz wrote:Some screen recording software allows to record only a portion of the screen so you can run the screen at 1920 x 1080 but record a 1280 x 720 portion of the screen. Maybe that would work better for you.
My demo screen recording software could do it. But alas, some VST plugin's GUI would still be partially not visible.

Minimal Clock by Minimal Instruments
I turned one of my songs into a piano tune and used it to test Minimal Clock.
Minimal Clock has ten presets. I used one REAPER track per Minimal Clock preset.
Each preset runs for about 8 bars. one of the presets sounds like a cowbell to me.
The cowbell-like preset reminded me of a Saturday Night Live skit.
https://youtu.be/vJJEObx0EwE

In the video, I'm blindly testing the Busta standalone loop sampler.
It was very enjoyable to do it.
Great software. Great at what it does.
One can make a whole exciting tune from a single loop.
The 9 built-in loops and 30 presets are delicious.
But I plan to read the manual some more and learn to load my own loops.
And make my own presets. And maybe make a second test video, less blindly.
https://youtu.be/sBihjRIzmuA

I really really really like the idea behind 2SYN which to me is basically: play your electric guitar and make it sound like a synthesizer. I hope 2SYN has a long life and just doesn't fade away. I collect VST freeware and I don't remember coming across anything that is like 2SYN. It's unique?

At first I tried to do the test using my cheap electric guitar and it did sort of work. But then I thought "I don't really play the guitar anymore but I might again later on (right now, VSTi guitars sound better than my cheap electric guitar, to me) but does 2SYN really need a real electric guitar to make it work?".
No, it doesn't. A VST guitar instrument can also make 2SYN work. I used the electric guitar VST by a developer named chokehold to trigger 2SYN. It's probably tuned more accurately than my cheap electric guitar.

The first half of the video introduces the notes that will trigger 2SYN.
The second half of the video is of course the part where 2SYN is being triggered by the notes introduced in the first half of the video.

I have no idea how 2SYN sounds on other people's computers. I don't even know if I set up 2SYN properly on my computer. I also don't know what system requirements is optimal for 2SYN. My system may have not met whatever those system requirements are. So far, this is the "blindest" test I have done regarding the DC18. But there's 21 more DC18 entries to test and only 16 days to go.

https://youtu.be/t3rItiJku6Q

Thanks a million Harry!
I think it's a good way to test it.
Perhaps my plugin made one harmonic fluke in the test.
The only setup requirement is the 'gain' control,
it needs to be turned up if your signal is quiet and vice-versa.
Then it's fun to shape the sound with the simple synth.

appreciate the comment on the concept too, I wanted to do this at first in 2005,
and started working on the plug then. atm I use a hexaphonic pickup to do it much better than this ts version

My plugin is not the only or first, u might like to get Fretted Synth's SE ones.
GCBS is one of them.

If I can improve 2SYNts, I'll drop you a pm if you like
It's a difficult problem to make this plugin like this,
and agreed it could be hard to play nicely.
For sure strumming is well nigh impossible, and some chords work while others don't.
Polyphony is hard to recreate with my basic pitch detecting method.

thumbs up from this devvy :tu:

Love it Harry! Just *completely* love it! :-)

nix808 wrote: My plugin is not the only or first, u might like to get Fretted Synth's SE ones.
GCBS is one of them.
Thanks for that. I'm going to download it.

nix808 wrote:If I can improve 2SYNts, I'll drop you a pm if you like
It's a difficult problem to make this plugin like this,
and agreed it could be hard to play nicely.
Yes, please, nix. I'm very interested in the further development of 2SYN.

Zoned wrote:Love it Harry! Just *completely* love it! :-)
Thanks very much for the the BUSTA software. I love it, especially now that I know how to load loops.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”