Dead Duck Software Deducktion - KVRDC 2018

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Deducktion

e-musician wrote:BTW, does Deducktion come with any presets? Just asking as, at the Dead Duck Website, it says that, using the preset menu, you can "select a preset from the built-in bank". If there is a built-in bank, I'm not able to find it.
There are no pre-programmed presets but there is a built-in bank of 100 preset 'slots' - use the arrow icons in the top panel display area to move between them or click the preset menu icon (the one closest to the left-pointing arrow) to select any preset in the bank.

studio4 wrote:Wow, you insinuate things I never said.
Writing code is work as well.
Where did I say it wasn't? I wrote: the winner(s) get(s) money for their work and deservedly so.
A lot more work that cobbling a skin together in knobman/skinman.
Again. I never said it wasn't. I wrote that graphic design should be valued more. Not that writing code should be valued less.
You don't see Dead Duck Software asking for donations do you ? Check his site where even for his older Effects Suite there is no request for donation. Yes he might win this competition and be rewarded for his work and then again he may not.
And? If he would ask for donations/payment, I would be totally fine with it, you obviously have a problem with that.
Maybe you should enter the competition as well if you're only after compensation.
Another baseless accusation.
This is a commercial site after all with the intention to make profit, not a hobby page.

No it's a community where sharing has always been a major part. Check out all the freeware available at KVR where no one is asking for donations. They have freely given of their work simply for the joy of being generous.... :wink:
kvraudio.com is a commercial site that is plastered with ads that say "Buy it now" Check out all the payware available at KVR where everyone is asking for money. I'm not sure why you talk to me like I am new here. I'm part of the community for over 10 years, shared a lot of stuff. If people are asking for donations or not, it is up to them, not up to you. Really, who do you think you are?
People who try to profit off of other people's freeware has always irritated the hell out of me. Do I care if anyone else agrees ? Absolutely not. If the concept is beyond your moral grasp then I can only feel pity.
And another baseless accusation. I posted a link where you can download a skin for free. There is a "pay if you want"-option, because I don't want to support the everything-should-be-free-attitude represented by freeloaders like you.
Anyway I've posted some free patches and color edits here for Deduction as a tiny way of saying thanks. Someone gives the community something and I try to give something back. Not always for every bit of freeware but at least I do try. But then monetary compensation is not what give me purpose in life.
If that's your agenda, then you probably shouldn't use Google for your files, because monetary compensation is their thing.
Dude your out of line here and I cant seem to understand that you cannot comprehend what Tek is saying in the spirit of the Developers challenge. It clear to me that this competition is not about making money. I mean if you really followed the anouncement the cash prize money was so low just before release of the entries that even if he won all the money it would not even pay for his time coding the software entry. I just think that you are being opportunistic here and your attitude does not contribute to the spirit of commity here at Kvr of which of us especially Tek have contributed here at Kvr. The fact that Kvr runs a marketplace is a recent development and is at the request of the community. The marketplace sells in anycase discounted software for the benefit of the collective community and not for the exploitation of an individual. So look into your heart and be a human.. not a business driven entity in line of the developers challenge.

I challenge you in the true spirit of this competion share your creation freely here in this thread if you are not after the money

hi,

this is a contender indeed. it really sounds quite nice. yet, i'm having some wishes - if i may, that is:

- there's no mono legato option, the voice retriggers always when the voices are set to 1.
- a 2-voiced unison with pitch spread and pan spread would be very nice, so we get stereo. yay! :)
- i extremely miss the oscs phases in the matrix as destination (both main osc and sub osc seperately). when retriggering the phases, the possibility to offset the phases of the oscs in 1 degree steps goes a _very_ long way in terms of sound creation.
- there's no amp panning modulation possibility in the matrix - which would be nice indeed (per voice - see next point).
- in conjunction with the requested panning modulation it would be nice to have an "alternate" entry in the matrix as source, which then could be routed to the panning. that parameter alters values between -1 and 1 and the matrix depth determines the span.
- the filter env attack has an audible ramp-in even at fastest attack. this sadly makes it impossible to do snappy stuff.
- this synth uses a _lot_ of cpu, when using long releases and 12 voices (for pads). i really hope there's room for improvement regarding this. i know, the filter drive needs oversampling, but there's no other audio rate modulation, hence i hope there's stuff you can do to bring down the cpu usage.
- the supersaw would be the bomb, if one could define, how many saws are used. max is often way too much.
- why no "super" waves on all other oscs?

i hope this is taken as constructive criticism - of course - ignore me, if i'm too bold. :)

however, thanks for putting thatone out. :tu: :tu:
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

surreal wrote: Dude your out of line here and I cant seem to understand that you cannot comprehend what Tek is saying in the spirit of the Developers challenge. It clear to me that this competition is not about making money. I mean if you really followed the anouncement the cash prize money was so low just before release of the entries that even if he won all the money it would not even pay for his time coding the software entry. I just think that you are being opportunistic here and your attitude does not contribute to the spirit of commity here at Kvr of which of us especially Tek have contributed here at Kvr. The fact that Kvr runs a marketplace is a recent development and is at the request of the community. The marketplace sells in anycase discounted software for the benefit of the collective community and not for the exploitation of an individual. So look into your heart and be a human.. not a business driven entity in line of the developers challenge.
Wow, more personal attacks based on false allegations by "Tek". I mean, you quoted me, did you read what I wrote? Apparently not. Because despite what you or your buddy allege, the download I offered here was free. I explained to you, that the preview from the host which I use, Sellfy, showed a "Download for free"-button for the file to embed, which I assumed would be on their site as well. Which wasn't the case, so I removed the link.

Why did I use Sellfy? Because it has a "Pay if you want" option, so people may realize for a moment that there is actual work behind it, that is worth something. If you think this is "the exploitation of an individual by a business driven entity" you clearly are insane, unworldly or both.

Similar bizarre is how you euphemize the fact, that KVR - and I don't mean the marketplace - is plastered full with advertising, clearly with the intention to make a profit. Which is okay, but the way you try to sugarcoat that fact, "for the benefit of the collective community" while at the same time condemning me as a "opportunistic unhuman" capitalist, can't be serious. Even as satire, this is over the top.

Back to Deducktion.
Image Image

brok landers wrote:i hope this is taken as constructive criticism
Absolutely, I welcome any feedback and although I can't make any feature enhancements during the contest I will certainly take these (and any others in this thead) into consideration for any future updates.
brok landers wrote:there's no mono legato option, the voice retriggers always when the voices are set to 1.
Deducktion uses a sort of 'hybrid' mono mode - notes are retriggered when there are gaps between them and play legato when they overlap. Similarly glide only works in mono mode when the notes overlap.
brok landers wrote:this synth uses a _lot_ of cpu, when using long releases and 12 voices (for pads).

CPU consumption rises with long release times simply because the voices hang around longer and each voice consumes a certain amount of CPU. There isn't much that can be done about this other than to lower the maximum number of voices using the polyphony setting. That said, if I can find any further optimisations I will of course implement them.

studio4 wrote:
surreal wrote: Dude your out of line here and I cant seem to understand that you cannot comprehend what Tek is saying in the spirit of the Developers challenge. It clear to me that this competition is not about making money. I mean if you really followed the anouncement the cash prize money was so low just before release of the entries that even if he won all the money it would not even pay for his time coding the software entry. I just think that you are being opportunistic here and your attitude does not contribute to the spirit of commity here at Kvr of which of us especially Tek have contributed here at Kvr. The fact that Kvr runs a marketplace is a recent development and is at the request of the community. The marketplace sells in anycase discounted software for the benefit of the collective community and not for the exploitation of an individual. So look into your heart and be a human.. not a business driven entity in line of the developers challenge.
Wow, more personal attacks based on false allegations by "Tek". I mean, you quoted me, did you read what I wrote? Apparently not. Because despite what you or your buddy allege, the download I offered here was free. I explained to you, that the preview from the host which I use, Sellfy, showed a "Download for free"-button for the file to embed, which I assumed would be on their site as well. Which wasn't the case, so I removed the link.

Why did I use Sellfy? Because it has a "Pay if you want" option, so people may realize for a moment that there is actual work behind it, that is worth something. If you think this is "the exploitation of an individual by a business driven entity" you clearly are insane, unworldly or both.

Similar bizarre is how you euphemize the fact, that KVR - and I don't mean the marketplace - is plastered full with advertising, clearly with the intention to make a profit. Which is okay, but the way you try to sugarcoat that fact, "for the benefit of the collective community" while at the same time condemning me as a "opportunistic unhuman" capitalist, can't be serious. Even as satire, this is over the top.

Back to Deducktion.
You are an intresting Fellow I admit. The irony is that in other posts like Cobalt you offer your skins directly on the post no strings attached. Why not here? Why are you over top touchy anyway.. chill dude 8) you do have talent in your skins.. post them directly here without some sellfy promotion. Tek did in support and appreciation to the developer, not to promote himself or any business objective! Nice evening to you further :)

swatwork wrote: There are no pre-programmed presets but there is a built-in bank of 100 preset 'slots' - use the arrow icons in the top panel display area to move between them or click the preset menu icon (the one closest to the left-pointing arrow) to select any preset in the bank.
Thanks!

surreal wrote: You are an intresting Fellow I admit. The irony is that in other posts like Cobalt you offer your skins directly on the post no strings attached. Why not here? Why are you over top touchy anyway.. chill dude 8) you do have talent in your skins.. post them directly here without some sellfy promotion. Tek did in support and appreciation to the developer, not to promote himself or any business objective! Nice evening to you further :)
The irony is that you apparently "stalked" me here on KVR but could not find anything that supports your/Teksoniks allegations. Instead of just leaving it at that or accepting that you misjudged s.o., you keep on making demands, like it's your right or something. Which confirms my decision to not just give away stuff, as it only reinforces the idea, people have, that skin or GUI design should be free. But I already made my point clear and this is really not the topic here.
Image Image

Its' a geat Synth! 8)

swatwork wrote:>snip<
brok landers wrote:there's no mono legato option, the voice retriggers always when the voices are set to 1.
Deducktion uses a sort of 'hybrid' mono mode - notes are retriggered when there are gaps between them and play legato when they overlap. Similarly glide only works in mono mode when the notes overlap.
actually it doesn't do that here - because what you describe is exactly what i was wishing for - mono legato with legato glide. here new voices are retriggered _always_, even if i play legato.
swatwork wrote:
brok landers wrote:this synth uses a _lot_ of cpu, when using long releases and 12 voices (for pads).

CPU consumption rises with long release times simply because the voices hang around longer and each voice consumes a certain amount of CPU. There isn't much that can be done about this other than to lower the maximum number of voices using the polyphony setting. That said, if I can find any further optimisations I will of course implement them.
i know that.. but i was hoping you would be able to do something about it. an idea would be to provide a user adjustable release curve for the amp env, so that one could set up a ratio between the necessary release in audible range... because the release, as being exponential (which is good/correct actually), very fast leaves the audible range, yet the voice is still active for quite a long time. that sums up in cpu... so one could, with the curve parameter, shape it into a bit more towards linear, finding a good trade off for the release being longer in the audible range, so he could make it less long, hence the voices are turned off earlier...

furthermore i noticed, that the voice logic is not entirely correct - when exceeding the voice count, an _actively held_ note must _never_ be switched off, if there's voices in release stage. these must be cut off first in the manner, so that the oldest voice in release stage is being cut off first. only if all voices are actively held and there's an additional note on, the voice logic should turn off the oldest voice.

and the sustain pedal isn't working here.

btw - what i also miss, is a keyfollow in the matrix as source. and the lfos actually being polyphonic, when necessary...

sorry for nitpicking... :lol:
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

I finally tried it out, I had thought it was an auto-wah!

Lfo's sound pretty funky. Filters sound unique.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Thank you dead Duck for this gem :tu:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

brok landers wrote:actually it doesn't do that here - because what you describe is exactly what i was wishing for - mono legato with legato glide. here new voices are retriggered _always_, even if i play legato.
I can't reproduce retriggering all the time but I do think there's a problem here so I'll look into it. Thanks for pointing it out.
brok landers wrote:furthermore i noticed, that the voice logic is not entirely correct - when exceeding the voice count, an _actively held_ note must _never_ be switched off, if there's voices in release stage. these must be cut off first in the manner, so that the oldest voice in release stage is being cut off first. only if all voices are actively held and there's an additional note on, the voice logic should turn off the oldest voice.
The voice stealing works exactly as it's designed to, it simply reuses the oldest voice still active but I agree it could be more sophisticated.
brok landers wrote:and the sustain pedal isn't working here.
This is an easy one, it doesn't work because it's not implemented.
brok landers wrote:the lfos actually being polyphonic, when necessary...
What do you mean by 'polyphonic when necessary'?
brok landers wrote:sorry for nitpicking... :lol:
No problem, I welcome your insights/suggestions :)

I read Brok's suggestions with interest. However, the value of this synth lies a lot in the relatively few controls (in true Dead Duck style! :D :tu:).

Thus, any improvements should be weighed against its appealing limitations. :)
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”