Dead Duck Software Deducktion - KVRDC 2018

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Deducktion

Regarding skinning: personally I think it looks great. Super clean in typical DD fashion. :tu:

This year's winner? Thinking of the generosity behind the DD fx suite, it would be very well deserved!
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

So this:

MainMenuBg=0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
MainMenuFg=0x00 0x00 0x00 0xff
MainMenuFr=0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00

is R=00 G=00 B=00 and Alpha is 00 (or ff on the second line) ?

EDIT: Duh I just realized it's in Hex....... :dog:

I don't think I've ever seen a config file with that format. I'll have to experiment.

Do you mind if we share our edits ? As long as people can change the backgrounds, knobs, etc that's pretty much considered "skinning" even if the layout can't be changed. I don't have the skills to create new knobs or backgrounds despite repeated failed attempts at using Knobman and Skinman but there are several people who frequent KVR who do possess such skills.

Anyway here's a bank with 10 patches I did. I created them on this system which has pretty weak speakers but Deducktion still sounds good. I'll move it to my studio computer sometime in the near future. :)
Teksonik Deducktion 01.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:So this:
is R=00 G=00 B=00 and Alpha is 00 (or ff on the second line) ?
Yes, these are the values for red, green, blue and alpha in hex. The numbers can also be in decimal if that's easier (0-255 of course). Setting the alpha to zero effectively turns it off as most of the backgrounds and frames aren't needed.
Teksonik wrote: Do you mind if we share our edits ?
Not at all, I'm more than happy for people to hack the themes and share the results :)

Just to add a bit more about themes. The graphics in a theme override the images built in to the plugin - if a particular image is not found Deducktion will just use the default built-in version. This means that its possible to customise selected parts of the default theme, say for example the knobs, or just the colors of the text without having to provide a complete set of graphics.

As an example, I've attached a theme that does this - it basically overides the 'orange' parts of the default theme to create a new blue variant.

I've also included the GIMP and Knobman resources for the most important elements of the theme in the archive, in case they might be of use to anyone wanting to create a new theme.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Deducktion has been updated to 1.0.1.

This fixes a crackling problem when the filter resonance was modulated at higher LFO rates.
Teksonik wrote: Anyway here's a bank with 10 patches I did. I created them on this system which has pretty weak speakers but Deducktion still sounds good. I'll move it to my studio computer sometime in the near future. :)
Loving these, Fat Annie sounds awesome :tu:

This reminds me of a tip I wanted to mention - if Deduction finds a bank named 'Default' in its preset folder it will load this in preference to the built-in presets whenever a new instance is created, so there's no need to start with an empty bank every time.

@Tek thanks for the patches :tu:

@swat awesome, thanks for the bugfix :hail:

So far, Deducktion is my favorite entry this year. The only thing this baby needs is some full patchbanks. I've been making my own patches for it, but I'm a patch hound and would love a load of patches from people who are better preset designers than me (Tek's are a start).

Anyway, great synth! :D

Thanks for the kind words about the patches ! :hug:

Thanks also for the update. :)

Here are 8 Theme Color Edits. Some I like, some I don't. Hopefully others may find one they like...... :)

Deducktion Themes Tek Edit
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Here are 8 Theme Color Edits. Some I like, some I don't. Hopefully others may find one they like...... :)

Deducktion Themes Tek Edit
:hyper:
Thank you!

You are most welcome but it's not much of chore to make new color edits. If you have any requests I'll try to accommodate them :)

Just to clarify again there is nothing at all wrong with the Default Themes I just enjoy tweaking themes. I find it a relaxing activity when my ears are tired or my fingers blown out from playing guitar..... :hihi:

So far Deducktion has my vote for winner of the 2018 KVRDC..... :tu:

Excellent synth. Great work. My only gripe is the high CPU load that comes with longer release times, which is probably unavoidable.

I like the default skin. Here is my JP-8000-inspired version:

Last edited by studio4 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image

Nice skin but even hinting at "Buy Now" for a skin made for an entry to the KVRDC (aka freeware) is a pretty classless move. Yea we can pay nothing.....if we give up an email address. I think you're missing the spirit of the Developer's Challenge. :wink:

Sorry just my opinion...... :shrug:

You are right, the "Buy Now"-button is a bit strange. When I choose the embed option on their site, Sellfy gives me a "Download for free" button, which i wanted to embed in my post, but couldn't, because html doesn't work here (only BBCode).

Regarding the email address, I guess that's the price you have to pay when you use "free" services like Sellfy, KVR or (even worse) Google. I haven't received any spam mail to that email address since I registered there or here at KVR, if that's your concern, but wouldn't recommend to use one email address for everything anyway.

Sure, I could have uploaded the skin here (which I will eventually), but I wanted to include the option to donate/pay if you want, because, the way I see it, graphic design is work like any other work and should be valued accordingly. This is a commercial site after all with the intention to make a profit, not a hobby page. Also, the KVRDC entries may be free, but the winner(s) get(s) money for their work and deservedly so.
Last edited by studio4 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

studio4 wrote:I see it graphic design is work like every other work and should be valued accordingly.

Writing code is work as well. A lot more work that cobbling a skin together in knobman/skinman.

You don't see Dead Duck Software asking for donations do you ? Check his site where even for his older Effects Suite there is no request for donation. Yes he might win this competition and be rewarded for his work and then again he may not. Maybe you should enter the competition as well if you're only after compensation.
studio4 wrote:This is a commercial site after all with the intention to make profit, not a hobby page.
No it's a community where sharing has always been a major part. Check out all the freeware available at KVR where no one is asking for donations. They have freely given of their work simply for the joy of being generous.... :wink:

People who try to profit off of other people's freeware has always irritated the hell out of me. Do I care if anyone else agrees ? Absolutely not. If the concept is beyond your moral grasp then I can only feel pity.

Anyway I've posted some free patches and color edits here for Deduction as a tiny way of saying thanks. Someone gives the community something and I try to give something back. Not always for every bit of freeware but at least I do try. But then monetary compensation is not what give me purpose in life. :shrug:

Teksonik wrote: Monetary compensation is not what give me purpose in life. :shrug:
:tu: :clap: :hug:
No auto tune...

Wow, you insinuate things I never said.
Writing code is work as well.
Where did I say it wasn't? I wrote: the winner(s) get(s) money for their work and deservedly so.
A lot more work that cobbling a skin together in knobman/skinman.
Again. I never said it wasn't. I wrote that graphic design should be valued more. Not that writing code should be valued less.
You don't see Dead Duck Software asking for donations do you ? Check his site where even for his older Effects Suite there is no request for donation. Yes he might win this competition and be rewarded for his work and then again he may not.
And? If he would ask for donations/payment, I would be totally fine with it, you obviously have a problem with that.
Maybe you should enter the competition as well if you're only after compensation.
Another baseless accusation.
This is a commercial site after all with the intention to make profit, not a hobby page.

No it's a community where sharing has always been a major part. Check out all the freeware available at KVR where no one is asking for donations. They have freely given of their work simply for the joy of being generous.... :wink:
kvraudio.com is a commercial site that is plastered with ads that say "Buy it now" Check out all the payware available at KVR where everyone is asking for money. I'm not sure why you talk to me like I am new here. I'm part of the community for over 10 years, shared a lot of stuff. If people are asking for donations or not, it is up to them, not up to you. Really, who do you think you are?
People who try to profit off of other people's freeware has always irritated the hell out of me. Do I care if anyone else agrees ? Absolutely not. If the concept is beyond your moral grasp then I can only feel pity.
And another baseless accusation. I posted a link where you can download a skin for free. There is a "pay if you want"-option, because I don't want to support the everything-should-be-free-attitude represented by freeloaders like you.
Anyway I've posted some free patches and color edits here for Deduction as a tiny way of saying thanks. Someone gives the community something and I try to give something back. Not always for every bit of freeware but at least I do try. But then monetary compensation is not what give me purpose in life.
If that's your agenda, then you probably shouldn't use Google for your files, because monetary compensation is their thing.
Image Image

Thanks, Teksonik, for the skins and the bank.
Thanks, studio4, for the skin.
And thanks, Dead Duck, for your free synths and the FX bundle.

BTW, does Deducktion come with any presets? Just asking as, at the Dead Duck Website, it says that, using the preset menu, you can "select a preset from the built-in bank". If there is a built-in bank, I'm not able to find it.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”