Full Bucket MPS

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MPS

I just wonder, when soft/percussion is slided completely to percussion, the release slider doesn't do anything and the release is extremly short... Its a bit counter intuitive, as for percussion I want the shortest attack possible, but some variance in the release still...

Elsewise this one will get my full points congratulations!
For the future I would love to see MPE support, or at least a settable Pitch Bend range, but as I am running it in Bitwig I can create my own MPE Layer...

Thank you! :)

The behaviour of the Release parameter is indeed different than that of standard ADSR generators. Wolfgang noted that a patch with very short Decay but long Release times behaves oddly when playing it with a keyboard. As a piano player he would not expect a tone to sound for a potentially long time if he just briefly hit a key!
Thus, for MPS being a "musical synth" we decided to model the Decay/Release behaviour of the piano.

Note that you always can use the Sustain pedal for long "release" (which is of course Decay). :hihi:

Cheers, Björn

But a piano has a release time much longer than its attack. Its just that short, that it falls off any musical usabilty even if you try to make it longer with the release slider. The release slider doesn’t do anything at that percussive setting... Maybe its a bug in the Mac version?

No bug in the macOS version.

The Envelope parameter set to something between the middle and the right position gives a "decaying" tone. With Release you can set how long the release time is with respect to the decay time: "Full" or "10" means that the release time equals the decay time, and lower values of Release set the release time to a fraction of the decay time. If you need a longer release time, shift the Envelope parameter to what you need.

Note: If you set Release to "10" then the envelope behaves like that of the Minimoog (where the Decay parameter controls the Release time, too).

I know it is debatable, but Wolfgang and I decided to implement it the "piano way". There are many decisions and compromises we had to make... after all, MPS has only 7 (seven!) parameters including Volume that control the whole sound. 8)

Cheers, Björn

I definitely like that idea of only 7 parameters, perfect for a Seaboard, could be pre-mapped. To get immediate expression...
But the slider at percussion is definitely not the piano way, there is no difference between holding the note and releasing it immediately. I do not oppose to the idea, I just want a usable musical range. No real instrument in this world has such a short envelope... I would say its around 50 ms... Something must be wrong there...

Could you please send me the patch in question as a FXP file? I think that would help.
And you are on macOS, right?

Cheers, Björn

Sounds great!

Full Bucket wrote:Could you please send me the patch in question as a FXP file? I think that would help.
And you are on macOS, right?
Yes, I am on OS X. In Bitwig I did not find out how to export a FXP, but the number of parameters is so little, a screenshot should do as well:
I don't hear a noticable difference in the release time between these two settings:
Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-09 um 13.59.16.png
Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-09 um 13.59.30.png
The only relevant parameters are Envelope and Release any other parameter different has exactly the same problem...

I think if Release is in the middle, that should be the reference for your automatic release time setting. Then you could adjust the release to have it longer or shorter to your liking...
Out of your description, it seems the max release is fixed by the envelope parameter. But then when its too short you can't make it longer as it could be necessary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thank you!
wish it had an LFO to modulate the timbre of the oscillator.
anyways, fun times ahead ;)
cheers!

Tj Shredder wrote:I don't hear a noticable difference in the release time between these two settings
That is correct.
Tj Shredder wrote:I think if Release is in the middle, that should be the reference for your automatic release time setting. Then you could adjust the release to have it longer or shorter to your liking
I got your point, have to think about it.

Cheers, Björn

Really impressed with this synth. Sounds great and nice ideas.
(Win7 PC, Ableton 8, 64 bit)

A new full bucket synth ? Hell yes! :tu:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Laurent Bergman has created a French version of the MPS user manual! :love:

https://www.fullbucket.de/music/dl.php? ... ual_1_0_fr

Cheers, Björn

Due to popular request... :hihi:
Here's the Reaper project file for the MPS demo song "Pipes of the Marsh":

https://www.fullbucket.de/music/demo/mps.rpp

Cheers, Björn

https://soundcloud.com/full-bucket/pipes-of-the-marsh

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”