Paraphrasis talk/support [testers wanted for 1.0.3!]

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Paraphrasis

Hey guys, I have prepared some sound examples of Paraphrasis for you! Do you like them? First is the original sample followed by Paraphrasis perfomance without any other sound processing.

https://soundcloud.com/virtualanalogy/s ... s-examples

Nice sound examples! Video is cool too. If u have time u could explain in some demonstration video those 2 knobs in detail. Not mandatory, just an idea. Set sample pitch is in Hz and we usually use c2 - b3 etc for marking samples so I have to search for translation, u know :) So I usually avoid correcting and using those 2 knobs. Another reason for that is also: after update (thanks for update!) pitch is more than 90 % correct by auto setting after analyze. Those bad sounds (I mentioned earlier) are reduced but not completely disappeared. Noticed that totally depends on a loaded sample. Tried a lot of stuff (from sfz multi-samples folder, so when I have "bad" sound I just choose another note).
Loaded even longer than 20 sec. After warning and little longer scan it loads that too. Too bad there is no control for shaping after scanning (like they mentioned adsr :) among them) Auto reading loop points from a sample would be awesome.
Unlike other samplers Paraphrasis doesn't change sample duration while changing pitch so it is possible to play chords or notes across several octaves which sound more natural with only 1 sample. I like that.
Some ideas for making it more perfect (if u ever gonna make Paraphrasis on steroids):
-Visual sample display at top. Possibility to auto read loop points from sample (or add them if they r not present)
-Filter and LFO
So far its best for subs, bass and melodic etc but I was hoping to be well suited for ambient, pads, sound design too.
Like I said this thing has so much potential, love it

bojanboyss wrote:Nice sound examples! Video is cool too. If u have time u could explain in some demonstration video those 2 knobs in detail. Not mandatory, just an idea.
Pitch is pitch in frequency of loaded sample. Resolution is frequency resolution of spectral processing. Internally the model of sound is a set of partials and their frequency distant is at least the resolution. For best results 70-85% of sample pitch is recommended.
bojanboyss wrote:Set sample pitch is in Hz and we usually use c2 - b3 etc for marking samples so I have to search for translation, u know :)
I wanted to make it possible to enter the name of note as well but I could not make it until dead line. May be in a later release :)
bojanboyss wrote:Another reason for that is also: after update (thanks for update!) pitch is more than 90 % correct by auto setting after analyze.
Does it mean that now the auto settings is better or worse before the update?
bojanboyss wrote:Those bad sounds (I mentioned earlier) are reduced but not completely disappeared. Noticed that totally depends on a loaded sample. Tried a lot of stuff (from sfz multi-samples folder, so when I have "bad" sound I just choose another note).
The strange sounds - hm... was it stereo file or mono file? The stereo samples are internally converted into mono and I have found that the converting algorithm does not work well for some samples. You can try to mix the stereo samples in eg Audacity and than load it into Paraphrasis. It worked for me. In some next release there will be a option to choose between different mono-stereo converting algorithms.
bojanboyss wrote:Loaded even longer than 20 sec. After warning and little longer scan it loads that too.
Yes, it is a "social engineering" feature :D There was a CPU load problem when triggering a note. So people was warned no to load longer samples if necessary... And by accident people can choose eg some MP3 record which would not make a sense to load in Paraphrasis... but who knows creativity has no rules ;)
bojanboyss wrote:Too bad there is no control for shaping after scanning (like they mentioned adsr :) among them) Auto reading loop points from a sample would be awesome.
Thanks for suggestion! Auto reading loop points... writing it down to TODO list.
bojanboyss wrote:Unlike other samplers Paraphrasis doesn't change sample duration while changing pitch so it is possible to play chords or notes across several octaves which sound more natural with only 1 sample. I like that.
That is the basic idea. I am lazy to sample all notes ;)
bojanboyss wrote:Some ideas for making it more perfect (if u ever gonna make Paraphrasis on steroids):
-Visual sample display at top. Possibility to auto read loop points from sample (or add them if they r not present)
-Filter and LFO
Virtual sample display is planned and I think filter and LFO as well :)
bojanboyss wrote: So far its best for subs, bass and melodic etc but I was hoping to be well suited for ambient, pads, sound design too. Like I said this thing has so much potential, love it
Thanks for kind words! :)

SORRY! VIDEO HAD TO BE REMOVED. REV GUYS CONTACTED ME :-)

"pitch is more than 90 % correct by auto setting after analyze" means its almost perfect. Its better after update now, at least I think. Haven't tried exactly same samples, just random and watched c-tuner (old vst) and gtune (from GVST). Rarely tuning was wrong so I guess its much better now. Ofcourse depends on a sample especially if someone like me loads snare or something that wasn't suppose to be pitched instrument :)
Longer samples and warning: yeah, I think its good to have there. I didn't have any issues because I just let it do its job and when blue light appear I use it. Its just couple of seconds anyway. So anyone that has issues with that try that solution first :)
Also I should mention that anyone try to load sub sample into it. Sounds wonderful.
Thanks for explanations, gonna be helpful. And thanks for all future updates

bojanboyss wrote:Also I should mention that anyone try to load sub sample into it. Sounds wonderful. Thanks for explanations, gonna be helpful. And thanks for all future updates
Thanks for suggestion and talking about update I am just working on some memory and CPU optimalization and I probably I wont make it this week although I promised... :-(

Anyway this is so far one of my favourites lines of code in Paraphrasis, vivat C++11 :)

Code: Select all

memset(m_sampleBuffer->data(), 0, m_sampleBuffer->size() * sizeof(decltype(*m_sampleBuffer->data())));

Well, still can't make it appear in the plugin list with Live9 .... reinstalled vcredist but nothing.

;-(

cricrimarzo wrote:Well, still can't make it appear in the plugin list with Live9 .... reinstalled vcredist but nothing.

;-(
I am sorry to hear that, cricrimarzo :-( I think it was lesha - he had a same problem and this trick helped him. Please try it and let me know! Here it is:
Then I unchecked "Use VST Plug-In Custom Folder" and enabled it again, and Live was able to find it

Paraphrasis doesnt work in logic 9 32-bit AU running on OS-x Lion
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

tomicious wrote:
cricrimarzo wrote:Well, still can't make it appear in the plugin list with Live9 .... reinstalled vcredist but nothing.

;-(
I am sorry to hear that, cricrimarzo :-( I think it was lesha - he had a same problem and this trick helped him. Please try it and let me know! Here it is:
Then I unchecked "Use VST Plug-In Custom Folder" and enabled it again, and Live was able to find it
Ha ! That worked. Thanks a lot :clap:

realmarco wrote:Paraphrasis doesnt work in logic 9 32-bit AU running on OS-x Lion
Yeah, that is possible. I will provide you a link with development version.

Link sent via PM.

cricrimarzo wrote: Ha ! That worked. Thanks a lot :clap:
Cool! You are welcome ;)

tomicious wrote:
realmarco wrote:Paraphrasis doesnt work in logic 9 32-bit AU running on OS-x Lion
Yeah, that is possible. I will provide you a link with development version.
I know it's a bit late to ask, but I've only just finally got one of my music-making machines upgraded to Lion: which OS X versions is this meant to work in? (I didn't see any minimum requirements stated.) I haven't been able to get this to run in either Lion or Snow Leopard.

The "official" versions probably works only for Maverics. Here is a development (analysis optimalisation) Mac version which seems to be working with 10.7.

http://static.kvraudio.com/files/2575/p ... tib107.zip

tomicious wrote:The "official" versions probably works only for Maverics. Here is a development (analysis optimalisation) Mac version which seems to be working with 10.7.
Thanks for that; it does work on my 10.7 installation. I only remembered afterwards that since this is open source I should (in principle) be able to build this myself, but your upload saved me the effort.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”