Paraphrasis talk/support [testers wanted for 1.0.3!]

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Paraphrasis

Hello guys!

I would love to hear what you do think about my entry - Paraphrasis. Anything - problems, critics, praise... I hope you all are having fun with KVRDC!

Paraphrasis was updated to version 1.0.2! Note latency/CPU spikes issue fixed!

Download it here!

Version 1.0.3 is planned next week with minor issues fixed.

1.0.2 (Aug-09-2014)
- Fixed: Sound glitches when playing note repetitively (partials missing)
- Fixed: When note is finished (sample is done) CPU went high - MainStage
- Fixed: Reverse button position
- Fixed: Reverse button and status LED synchronisation
- Fixed: CPU went high when long sample was loaded and note was triggered.
* Note: it seems that loooong analysis bug on Mac OS is fixed as well!

SORRY! VIDEO HAD TO BE REMOVED. REV GUYS CONTACTED ME :-)

CHANGE LOG
==========
—————
- Fixed: plugin wont load on some Win Hosts
- Fixed: VST3 version did not cleaned buffer before synthesising new samples
And was tested in these hosts and OSs:
Win 7 64
  • FL Studio 32b - VST2+3
  • Reaper 32b - VST2
  • Renoise 32b - VST2
  • MuLab 32b - VST 2
Win XP SP3 32
  • Cubase LE 4 32 - VST2, VST3
  • VST Host 32 - VST2, VST3
  • Reaper 32 - VST2
  • EnergyXT 32 - VST2
Win 8 64
  • Ableton x86 v 9.1.4. - VST2
  • Cubase AI 4 32 - VST2, VST3
  • Reaper 32 - VST2
Mac OS 10.9
  • Garage Band 10.0.2
  • MainStage 3.0.4
——————
Initial Release
Last edited by tomicious on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Hi tomicious,
I just installed Paraphrasis, but it doesn't shine up in Reaper!
I'm on Windows 7 pro 64 bit and Reaper 32 bit.

Same here no success inside FLstudio/ Win 7
Installed the missing msvcp120.dll then then just nothing

Not much to say except Ive searched the web over the years for this plugin :)
Theres not so much as a user freindly standalone

Im hoping youre going to release an "XL" version with more control exposed to the user.
Loopoints
Verlocity layers
Spectral manipulation
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Well, first, it made me upgrade to XP SP3. Is that really necessary for a VSTi? Does it really need that GetLogicalProcessorInformation is present in kernel32.dll?

Secondly it has quite some noticeable latency (I don't experience any other latency issues with other synths). Every time I hit a key my ASIO meter goes through the roof, even though there's hardly any CPU usage (after the analysis of my sample was completed).

Any suggestions on how make best usage of the two knobs? It would be nice to have it a little better documented.

I used EnergyXT 1.41, 32bit winXP.

Does it only work in Daw's that support Vst3? I'm using Renoise on a 32 bit vista laptop and the plugin doesn't show up in the list, would really like to try this one :( .

Hi there Tomicious

First I wanna say thanks for this plug :) :clap:

I am on win 7 64 bit and I have tried your Synth in MuLab 32 bit.
The only problem I experienced was when I press the analyze
button.
It seems it is better if I stop my sequencer first. Otherwise
I am in risk of a crash.

So beside that little glitch it is all :tu:

P.S: Cool it also loads ogg files

Cheers
sbj
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

Ive tried it on WIn7 64 bit in Tracktion 32 bit on a Core2duo 2.2Ghz laptop with 4 Gigs of ram and motherboard sound chip.

Runs fine, no noticeable latency and hitting analyze while the sequencer is running produces some minor glitches but no problems.

Ive only tried it with short samples under 1 second in length though
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Some information for the dev in case it helps:

One one of my machines (Win7x64) I installed vcredist_x86.exe and rebooted but Reaper still can't find paraphrasis. I installed the VST3 as well but Studio One 2 couldn't find it either.
So I tested on a second machine (Win7x64) and it worked right away. Not sure why, but for whatever reason it just doesn't work on my primary system...

Out of curiosity, why are we installing vcredist_x86.exe for an x64 VST that's running on an x64 system?

Much better than I thought! But I have the same problems with CPU and latency on the start of notes. It seems really short sounds work fine, but on longer samples my CPU goes "over" 100% and there is over a second delay before the notes make a sound. The sound gets clicks and pops too, but probably due to the high CPU.

Another thing I noticed if I load a lot of samples then in the end it will freeze the plugin and Buzz (my daw). I noticed in the task manager that my host was taking 1.7 GB memory. Later I restarted Buzz and loaded Paraphrasis and watched the memory which seemed to increase every time I loaded a new sound.

I use a Laptop AMD Turion 64X2 TL-60 with 4GB RAM and Vista 32

If you can add looping and maybe a monophonic mode with portamento this would become a really useful plugin.

Thanks!

Would be cool if you could add drag & drop support for loading samples.

Thanks guys for checking Paraphrasis!

The "wont appear" issue: akira, Totolitoto and jonas78 I am sorry You are having difficulties... And thanks for patience! Huh, that is strange lachrimae it didn't work in your primary system... I'll try to figure it out but meanwhile please could you guys try if Paraphrasis runs in another host eg VSTHost and let me know if it works? If not may be another dlls are missing. Download the http://www.dependencywalker.com app and load Paraphrasis there make a screen shot and post it here. Thanks!

jackoo wrote:Well, first, it made me upgrade to XP SP3. Is that really necessary for a VSTi? Does it really need that GetLogicalProcessorInformation is present in kernel32.dll?

Secondly it has quite some noticeable latency (I don't experience any other latency issues with other synths). Every time I hit a key my ASIO meter goes through the roof, even though there's hardly any CPU usage (after the analysis of my sample was completed).

Any suggestions on how make best usage of the two knobs? It would be nice to have it a little better documented.

I used EnergyXT 1.41, 32bit winXP.
It was developed using C++11 stuff and Win version is compiled with MSVC 2013, that is a little bit ahead of Win XP... And SP3 is there quite a long...

The latency issue, yeah, I know about it. I didnt make it to fixed it until deadline. Hopefully next week will be optimised version released.

The knobs: they are just for analysis setting to get better result. Since Paraphrasis has a automatic pitch detection which can fail some times it is possible to tweak the sample's pitch (the frequency of the tone) or analysis resolution ("spectral scanning resolution") to get the best analysis results. The default setting should work for the most cases but for other ones you need to play with settings until you get good analysis therefore good synthesis results. There is a picture in distribution zip folder where it is briefly explained. So does the best resolution settings (70-85% of pitch frequency)

sbj wrote:First I wanna say thanks for this plug :) :clap:
Glad you like it! :)
sbj wrote: I am on win 7 64 bit and I have tried your Synth in MuLab 32 bit.
The only problem I experienced was when I press the analyze
button.
It seems it is better if I stop my sequencer first. Otherwise
I am in risk of a crash.
Huh, hopefully will check it out...

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Not much to say except Ive searched the web over the years for this plugin :)
Me too! :)
VariKusBrainZ wrote:Im hoping youre going to release an "XL" version with more control exposed to the user.
Loopoints
Verlocity layers
Spectral manipulation
Loopints are near future, velocity layers future, spectral manipulation - you mean direct editing analysed data? - well, thats is a far future :)

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”