Imogen Heap's Box of Tricks

RELATED
PRODUCTS
Box Of Tricks

http://www.soniccouture.com/en/products ... of-tricks/

this looks so awesome - I have wanted a successor to Scriptorium forever and this looks just the thing plus a heck of a lot more

instant sale for me

Yep, it looks brilliant.

Good value for money too, given the quality and diversity of instrument options.

I've made a template for anyone who wants to import this into NI Komplete Kontrol (and presumably also Maschine)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3dy6lc7rwoddv ... s.zip?dl=0

Just unzip this folder to \Users\Shared\NI Resources\image\Box of Tricks (On Mac- You'll have to work it out for Windows)

Great stuff :tu:

Some beautiful instruments (almost worth it just for the sublime Vocal pad) but a couple of niggles

- the scales available in the Harmoniser should really match the scales in the Jammer - in some instruments both scripts are present but it's not always possible to match scales.

and the Cello is a bit disappointing
Last edited by aMUSEd on Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dp

aMUSEd wrote:Some beautiful instruments (almost worth it just for the sublime Vocal pad) but a couple of niggles

- the scales available in the Harmoniser should really match the scales in the Jammer - in some instruments both scripts are present but it's not always possible to match scales.

Hi,
I'll look into the scales comment with Dan, hopefully that should be possible.

re: Cello - we do stress it is not a conventional cello! it's how she uses it, and how she herself played it in the studio.. it's basically an effect to be layered in a track, she likes the harmonics from it. You can't do a Bach cello solo with it!

James

Jammer can limit pitch in many, many ways that Harmoniser cannot. You can set Jammer to a single pitch for instance.

So it is always possible to match the Jammer scale to the Harmoniser, because the Jammer scale is freely configurable and can have any number of notes in it. You don't have to use those preset scales -- you can LEARN a scale from MIDI or click on the notes you want to include or exclude.

We can't make the Harmoniser scale freely configurable because it needs scales of a specific size and types to keep track of root position and scale degrees, therefore you can ONLY use preset scales.

If by chance you simply don't know what a Harmoniser scale preset actually means -- ie. "what the hell is D# Locrian ? I want the Jammer in that too" -- turn the Jammer OFF, set the Harmoniser ON and to D# Locrian, turn all the knobs off except set one Note to "1". Then play each note chromatically from D# upwards listening to which notes have been changed. Any notes that have been altered simply need to be turned OFF in the Jammer. (Or maybe quicker, just Google "D# Locrian".)

Jammer doesn't care about scales or harmony at all, the pitch filter is simply that, a filter to include or exclude pitches from Jammer's output. Harmoniser must think in terms of an actual scale and harmony, therefore has a scale root pitch and scale type.

Hope this helps clear things up!

cheers
Dan
Soniccouture

soniccouture wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Some beautiful instruments (almost worth it just for the sublime Vocal pad) but a couple of niggles

Hi,
I'll look into the scales comment with Dan, hopefully that should be possible.

re: Cello - we do stress it is not a conventional cello! it's how she uses it, and how she herself played it in the studio.. it's basically an effect to be layered in a track, she likes the harmonics from it. You can't do a Bach cello solo with it!

James
Thanks, I do realise that and was expecting more of an fx sound but I suppose I would like some more extended notes too, at least to use as drones, most of the playing is very short or even pizzicato.

The bowed + slide articulations are both looped, so that's pretty extended - i'm not sure what you have in mind.

James

aMUSEd wrote: and the Cello is a bit disappointing
Have you installed the Snapshots ?
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7., D.P. 11.3 & Kontakt 7.9 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Altiverb 8_ Explorer Loïc Le Pape
https://loiclepapesteelguitars.com/

Yes

soniccouture wrote:The bowed + slide articulations are both looped, so that's pretty extended - i'm not sure what you have in mind.

James
OK I probably need to play with it some more, anyway overall this is a great library.

Yep!

Address all complaints to I.Heap, London, UK.

soniccouture wrote:Yep!

Address all complaints to I.Heap, London, UK.
Is that sarcasm? :D
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Return to “Soniccouture”