Your favorite Drum sounds on a song/album

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pheeleep wrote: Mr. Gainsbourg was so ahead of his time. I really admire his work.
I absolutely agree. 8) :)
Andreas (I presume my forefathers were apes)

Image Listen to some Monkey-Music

MickGael wrote:Some more entries:

The incredibly warm, organic and un-hyped sound of the drums on Spinners' classic track "One Of a Kind (Love Affair)"

Suppose you could also add the drums on "Isn't She Lovely" by Stevie Wonder and all of the drums on Marvin Gaye "What's Goin' On"
Add to the list the sound of The Meters' Zigaboo Modeliste - what a f***ing star!

It's good to see that there are other KVR'ians that admire Serge Gainsbourg :D

He is my favorite French composer.
Play it by ear

pheeleep wrote:It's good to see that there are other KVR'ians that admire Serge Gainsbourg :D

He is my favorite French composer.
I bloody love Serge! He's my hero! :love: :band: 8)

I like Leo Ferré too, but Serge...

[Withdrawn.]
Last edited by MacQ on Mon May 31, 2004 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

stu.macQ wrote:Hi ...

All of these guys want these esoteric drum kits that I'll never be able to use on a record! :lol:
Yeah, Serge and The Meters are pretty obscure.

Who'd sample them, right kids?

Oh, hang on...

This list is really shorter than it should be. If I spent more time and went over my collection of more than 1,000 CDs (and around the same amount of vinyl albums!), this could be a mega post. Admittedly, it's an eclectic list (rock drummers only -- I'm happy to put together a jazz list).

DRUMMERS WHO CONSISTENTLY SOUND GREAT IN THE STUDIO:

Omar Hawkim
Simon Phillips
Manu Katche
Mike Bordin
Stewart Copeland
Bill Bruford
Kenny Arnoff
Vinnie Colliuta

SONGS:

Evenflow -- Pearl Jam
Midlife Crisis - Faith No More
Hero -- Foo Fighters
My Sharona - The Knack
Dance on a Volcano, Squonk - Genesis (Phil Collins)
Hand in Hand - Phil Collins (Phil Collins)
In Your Eyes -- Gabriel (Manu Katche)
Gonna Get You Anyway - Pete Townsend (Simon Phillips)
Money, Give Me Your Love -- The Babys
Stranger - Jefferson Starship (Ansely Dunbar)
Subdivisions - Rush (Neil Peart)
Consider Me Gone - Sting (Omar Hawkim)
Kiss My Axe - Al DiMeola (Omar Hawkim)
Wrapped Around Your Finger -Police (Stewart Copeland)
Miscellaneous Songs - Animal Logic (Stewart Copeland)

[Withdrawn.]
Last edited by MacQ on Mon May 31, 2004 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wow, French pop music from 1959-1991 is incredibly relevant to me, a 22-year old from Canada!

Hello young one 8)

Check out Serge Gainsbourg " Requiem pour un con" and tell me that the drums sound old.. I can guarantee you that the sound of those drums used today would be a hit, especially in a Hip Hop/drum and bass/trip hop song. That's exactly why I said Gainsbourg was ahead of his time. The guy was making hip hop in 1968! Just listen to that song, ok?

By the way I am 29, and, just because you don't know how to mix doesn't mean we don't :wink: We want interesting sounds, even if they are harder to mix in. Not everyone wants sounds that you can drop in any song and make work without any effort...

French pop music from 1959-1991 could be relevant to you if you were more open minded, but anyway, it's your loss. I know you are young and whatever is old just doesn't sound cool... You just don't realize what terrific sounds you are missing out on by dissing on "old" music... Anyway, no hard feelings, but please, check out some of these records before saying that they are irrelevant for you. The people that you listen to were probably influenced by those songs in one way or another...
Play it by ear

stu.macQ wrote:Wow, French pop music from 1959-1991 is incredibly relevant to me, a 22-year old from Canada! Excuse me for being so youthfully ignorant! :lol:

I'd actually like something in a product that I can use to make money in today's market. Not to "sound like that record I once knew". Sampled funk-breaks are cool, they're just not "useful"-cool to me.

Oh well, different tastes, I guess! :wink:

(stu.macQ)
If you love music, then the age or nationality of music should not be "incredibly relevant" to you as a criteria for its summary dismissal.

I first heard The Meters when I was 19. My initial reaction was more "That is f**king great!" rather than "Hmm, it's cool, but how can I - an Englishman - market it as a product in this week's market". And I first heard "Melody Nelson" when I was 25. Serge was in his early 40's when he made it (!), and it's STILL a truly original, truly great album, which I daresay will be listed as influential by musicians for decades to come, as it has been for decades past, AND NOW, by musicians of your own age, or younger, many of whom aren't French...

It's incredibly depressing to hear someone so young so smugly assume music is of no relevance or value to himself because it wasn't made by a 22 year old in Canada in 2004.

Anyway, I believe the original question was about drum sounds, not whether or not you considered them mainstream - the fact that they're f**king legendary (oh, sorry, "esoteric") notwithstanding - or useful to yourself. They're great drum sounds, simple as that.

FFS! I can't BELIEVE you need a later date on a sound to consider it worthwhile! That's f**king insane!

Please don't use the word f**k in our forum. :D Ah never mind you crass motherf*#@#rs. :lol:

eDrummist wrote:This list is really shorter than it should be. If I spent more time and went over my collection of more than 1,000 CDs (and around the same amount of vinyl albums!), this could be a mega post. Admittedly, it's an eclectic list (rock drummers only -- I'm happy to put together a jazz list).

DRUMMERS WHO CONSISTENTLY SOUND GREAT IN THE STUDIO:

Omar Hawkim
Simon Phillips
Manu Katche
Mike Bordin
Stewart Copeland
Bill Bruford
Kenny Arnoff
Vinnie Colliuta

)
Speaking of drummers who consistantly sound(ed) great in the studio, I wonder if anyone ever sampled Jeff Porcaro's (RIP) kit while he was in the studio?

How about a "Rosanna" kit squids? :-)

Jeff

Sure, I'd be up for some Porcaro kits. What did he use? Anyone know? We can investigate. That signature beat though... love it. It's also a Steely Dan type sound. I love dry in your face drums where you can hear and feel the ghosting.

Now, keep in mind there are some great libraries from very specific drummers already in existence. Peter Erskine, Bill Bruford, Ed Greene, Steve Smith... But, still, like it has been said by many... the search for drum sounds never ends. We are trying to go after some of the best ones though and most desirable.

Good thread guys! Keep it going. This is interesting. We'll have some cool drum talks this Summer too. I'll show you some examples of work in progress where you can hear it and think "oh, I like that sound" (or not :D) and stir up some creative thinking. Gear info and tips on getting a sound from a famous drummer you like are always welcome too. That stuff isn't hard to find from magazines like Modern Drummer or just the internet.

It's okay to share this discussion publicly too because I really don't mind if one of our competitors decides to take it upon themselves to do their own Bonham kit or whatever. Good! I'll buy it then! ;) I appreciate the effort. I'd love to have our own Bonham type kits and someone else's done in a different studio situation etc. Half the time we go to all this effort because we feel SOMEone has to! Plus, I want these sounds myself so there's always DIY! Point is... let's talk drums!

Porcaro info? Here you go!! :-) Now if we could just find someone who plays like him!!! You are right, love that signature Rosanna beat!!

TOTO TOUR 1982

14" x 6 ½" Snare Drum Slingerland Radio King modified by Paul Jamieson

22" x 18" Bass Drum
Pearl Maple Shell (Custom Made)

10" x 8" Tom Tom
12" x 10" Tom Tom
13" x 11" Tom Tom
Pearl Maple Shell, mounted on Ludwig Tomholdersystem with RIMS

16" x 16" Floor Tom
Pearl Maple Shell

Cymbals:

PAISTE 2002 Cymbals
14" Heavy Hi Hats
19" Crash
21" Crash
22" Ride
19" Crash
20" China Type

Hardware:

Pearl H-800 Hi Hat Pedal
DW 5000 CX Bass Drum Pedal
Yamaha SS-910 Snare Drum Stand

All Cymbals mounted on Ludwig Modular Cymbalholders
All Tomholders, Cymbalholders and Microphoneholders mounted on a Paul Jamieson Custom Rack (Predecessor of Pearl DR 1 bzw. DR 2 Rack)

TOTO TOUR 1987

14" x 6 ½" Snare Drum YAMAHA Metal SD-965 MA

Shell-Set Pearl MLX

22" x 16" Bass Drum
10" x 8" Tom Tom
12" x 8" Tom Tom
13" x 9" Tom Tom
14" x 14" Floor Tom
16" x 16" Floor Tom

All Tom Toms mounted on Pearl TH 95 Tomholders with RIMS

Paiste Cymbals:

14" Heavy Hi Hat Formula 602
8" Bell 2002
10" Splash 2002
19" Medium 2000
18" Crash 2002
8" Splash 2002
20" Medium Ride Formula 602
18" Power Crash 2000
19" Crash 2002

Hardware:

- Pearl DR 1 Rack designed by Jeff Porcaro and Paul Jamieson
- Pearl H 800 Hi Hat Pedal
- DW 5000 CX Bass Drum Pedal
- Yamaha SS 910 Snare Drum Stand
- Yamaha Cymbal Holder CH 710 / CH 712

E-DRUMS:

Dynacord ADD-One with two Dynacord Pads for Large Gong and Gated Timbales Sound

Jeff Porcaro Drum Set 1989

Pearl Prestige Custom 8500 MLX:

22" x 18" Bass Drum
10" x 8" Tom Tom
12" x 8" Tom Tom
13" x 9" Tom Tom
14" x 14" Floor Tom
16" x 16" Floor Tom
14" x 3 ½" Free-Floatin Brass Piccolo Snare Drum

Paiste Cymbals:

14" Heavy Hi Hat Formula 602
16" Crash 3000
10" Splash 505
20" Heavy Crash 2002
7" Cup-Chime 200
18" Power Crash 3000
20" Medium Ride Formula 602
16" Crash 2000 Sound Reflections
20" China Type 2002

Hardware:

All Tom Toms mounted with RIMS and Pearl TH 95 Tomholders.
Cymbal mounted with Pearl CH 95 Cymbalholders on the DR 1 Drum Rack
Also DW 5000 CX Bass Drum Pedal

MICROPHONES (TOUR 1990):

Snare Drum:

Shure SM 57 (Top)
AKG C 414 B-ULS (Bottom) - sometimes C 414 TL II

Bass Drum:

AKG D 12 E
Shure SM 91A or Shure SM 57 (May System) for the Kick

Hi Hat:

AKG C 460B, AKG A 61 Swivel with AKG CK 3 (use adapter from AKG C 460 series to AKG C 450 series)
=> CK 3 is no longer available!!! Use AKG CK 63 without adapter from AKG C 460 to AKG C 450

Tom Tom:

Ramsa WMS 5E

Overhead:

2 x AKG C 414 B-ULS (sometimes also C 414 TL II)

Jeff

[Withdrawn.]
Last edited by MacQ on Mon May 31, 2004 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”