Your favorite Drum sounds on a song/album

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jimmy Chamberlain from Smashing Pumpkins drums always sound amazing. Gish or Siamese Dreams

seamoss wrote:Jimmy Chamberlain from Smashing Pumpkins drums always sound amazing. Gish or Siamese Dreams
yup - agreed......

I also dig the drum sound on "State of love and trust" and "Last Exit" from Pearl Jam

Prince on "Alphabet Street"
Phil Collins on "In the air tonight"
A-Ha on "Take on me"

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Good stuff! Keep it going. I'm making a list.

Anything from Neil Pert. I don't know if it's his sound as much as his incredible songs or awesome talent. Definately the most exciting live drum solos I've ever seen.

It's about impossible to get him to do anything outside of Rush. we put out a loop project with scott rockenfield and he had some connections with rush's management, but neil is just not interested. I even tried to sneak backstage by wearing my brothers Dominos jacket, to no avail. I guess i should have borrowed a "hot bag" too so i would be more convincing-oh well. If you get Neil, I will buy.
Thanks,

Bigg John
FREE Loops @ http://www.looplibrary.com

I have a fairly obscure one but The Band Is "Alias" S/T record The track- "More than Words Can Say" The snare sounds like a friggin shotgun!! Very cool.

Also the classic- Def Leppard "Rock Of Ages" from "Pyromania.

My 2 requests. I can provide an Mp3 of the Alias track if necessary!!

I'm also with Pricer on the Steve Albini Nirvana/Pixies kits, but come on Pricer Tom Lord Alge? If there's someone I'd never want my mixes sounding like it'd be the one's that come out of the Lord-Alge boys. I think most of the times he's using sound replacer on the drums anyway, just pulling out a good snare and kick hit and replacing all the original ones with those. I just think his drum sounds aren't at all natural, and his mixes are too bright and compressed and just don't hold up or even sound real. But as this thread is not about Tom Lord Alge, I regress:

Weezer - Tired of Sex (everything about the drum sound says ballsy and in your face)

Please no 80s pop/metal sounding kits, unless it's the G&R Appettite for Destruction sound.
I'm sorry this post wasn't about techno.

Ooh Squids, you may also want to actually get in touch with Albini to see if he'd enginner a session. I doubt he's big on sampling, but he seems to be all about helping out broke musicians as he won't even work for majors anymore. It wouldnt surprise me at all if he'd be willing to work on a drum library.

Check out the drums on Serge Gainsbourg: Requiem pour un con. Awesome drum sounds. Mr. Gainsbourg was so ahead of his time. I really admire his work.

The song was released in 1968....
Play it by ear

Funkybot wrote:

Please no 80s pop/metal sounding kits, unless it's the G&R Appettite for Destruction sound.
Why not? Wouldn't you want to make everyone happy rather than just 1 person?

I would never use crap sounding Nirvana/Pixies sounds but I don't care if you want to. I hope Squids will try to make both of us happy!!!

pheeleep wrote:Check out the drums on Serge Gainsbourg: Requiem pour un con. Awesome drum sounds. Mr. Gainsbourg was so ahead of his time. I really admire his work.

The song was released in 1968....
YES!!!

and the drums on Histoire de Melody Nelson too (1971)

Another vote for Rush/Neil Peart here.

JeffN
To Hear Original Instrumental "Progtronic Rock" Music, go to:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0rPidJwBYGmKZFUV4joAKN

GuitarJeff I was half kidding when I said that (but only half kidding :P ). I'm sure there's a place for both types of sounds, but you'd have to admit that Albini's sound actually sounds like natural drums in a room, whereas I've never heard a drummer playing live in a room completely dry coming anywhere near that Def Leopard Hysteria sound (for example). Remember you could always add gated reverb to the toms and snare to get that sound as long as the kit sounds good, the problem is you can't take that stuff off if it's already been printed.

Yeah funkybot you are right, but it would be difficult to recreate the snare as I'm pretty sure a combination of samples were used.

I'm all for having the dry kits too :) but it would be useful (for me anyway) to have that stuff. especially the snare sounds since we sound replace the natural snare on my bands records. (actually it ends up being a combination since you hear the natural snare through the other mics)

We have a really good sample for faster tunes, but I would love to get something like that Alias sound for ballads.

It's all good! I hope everyone gets what they want!! :)

Jeff

Some more entries:

The incredibly warm, organic and un-hyped sound of the drums on Spinners' classic track "One Of a Kind (Love Affair)"

Suppose you could also add the drums on "Isn't She Lovely" by Stevie Wonder and all of the drums on Marvin Gaye "What's Goin' On"
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”