Your favorite Drum sounds on a song/album

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, we're doing some more drum sessions (as if 45 gigs of I-Drums wasn't enough???) this Summer working with some killer drummers who've played with some great bands like Jethro Tull, Pat Metheney, Peter Gabriel's band and others. Obviously I love drums. I know a lot of you guys do too. So, any requested sounds that you've heard on a record/album/song that you wish you had a kit that sounded like that? Bonham on Zep 4? Ringo on Abbey Road? What would you love to have? Try to be specific at least to the album but everything from Motown to Jazz to Progressive Classic Rock and anything else. If you even know info about the kit used feel free to share what you know. If not we'll research it and see if we can't get some of the best drum sounds this Summer in the studio. (Some we may have already gotten for I-Drums and Studiophonik but who said we were stopping? Drum sounds never end.)

Speak!

Squids wrote:Hey, we're doing some more drum sessions (as if 45 gigs of I-Drums wasn't enough???) this Summer working with some killer drummers who've played with some great bands like Jethro Tull, Pat Metheney, Peter Gabriel's band and others. Obviously I love drums. I know a lot of you guys do too. So, any requested sounds that you've heard on a record/album/song that you wish you had a kit that sounded like that? Bonham on Zep 4? Ringo on Abbey Road? What would you love to have? Try to be specific at least to the album but everything from Motown to Jazz to Progressive Classic Rock and anything else. If you even know info about the kit used feel free to share what you know. If not we'll research it and see if we can't get some of the best drum sounds this Summer in the studio. (Some we may have already gotten for I-Drums and Studiophonik but who said we were stopping? Drum sounds never end.)

Speak!
I always liked how Alex Van Halen tuned his drums, especially the toms. Billy Cobham from early Mahavishnu Orchestra stuff sounds unique, too.

The Cure - Fascination street LP
(especially the snares)

Kinda weird you asked, I was driving to work today & tossed in Psychadelic Furs' 'All of this & Nothing' & was blown away by the drumming on the last 30 secs of 'Love my way', I hadn't listened to the Furs in years & that really jumped out at me.

Anything on Combat & Earache Records circa early 90's.

How about any kit that sounds like Terry Date did the drums? Vulgar Display Of Power and probably most of the Deftones kits would be nice. Oh that 504 tom sound... :)

One more real specific one here:

Eyehategod's 'Take as needed for the pain'

I jammed with these guys a few times back in '94 & this album has some of the best overall drum sounds I've ever heard. The drummer played holding his sticks backwards to get a heavier sound. I can't remember the kit the guy used, but that's one of the best agro/metal albums you have never heard. They were on Century Media at the time I believe, & that was thier second LP. They asked me to take over Bass guitar when they started recording the third album, but I had just opened the largest tattoo shop in Miami at the time, & I've regretted it ever since :evil:

Check it out. Huge, live sounding kit.

Here are some great modern drum sounds

Albums:
Eels - Shootenanny! (Oceanway at it's best)

Spoon - Girls Can Tell (nice clean drum sound with balls to spare)

Belle and Sebastian - Dear Catastrophe Waitress (great drum sound throughout, esp. love the toms on the opening track)

Elvis Costello - This Year's Girl (pretty much the whole album, especially The Beat, and Pump it Up)

Television - Marquee Moon (Andy Johns nails the perfect drum sound)

Songs (not on said albums):

Ween - Exactly Where I'm At (love that vintage beatles/floyd-esque sound, especially the snare)

Elf Power - The Creature (just love all the room sound, and the shell resonance on the kick, really cuts through, this type of sound would be good for more of a less produced but great indie sound)
I'm sorry this post wasn't about techno.

The bot is back! I new I'd get him back with THIS thread (Oceanway at it's best... you gotta love the bot!)

That sounds cool everyone but really it's better if you can name specific songs/albums that have the best example of that drummer's sound that you like. Saying anything in the 90's from so and so isn't specific enough for someone who doesn't know that drummer well to find what it is you like exactly. What do you like about it? The kick and snare? Hats? Big bad tom sound? Odd tuning? Roomy sound? Tight sound?

I'll give you an example. Say that I like Bill Bruford's sound on Yes Roundabout on the Fragile album. I like how the snare rings and Bruford's trademark high pitched snare cuts through plus the kit's in your face dry tight sound.

Something like that if you can. If you even know drums and want to say what drums the person you like uses etc. then that's even cooler. But, if you don't know that then just at least giving the song and album would help us all find it if we're intrigued. I mean, if you feel like it that is.

You have to have something that sounds like Terry Bozzio's kit in the Bozzio, Levin, Stevens albums. Especially the tunes cymbals and toms

Bill Bruford is a great one!!!

Another would be Billy Cobham from "Spectrum". The snares

How about Dennis Chambers in "Pick Hits Live". The kick, snare

Narada Michael Walden in "Wired" .. EVERYTHING

How about Virgil Donati on the PlanetX albums ... His snare and hi-hat sound are excellent

... thats of the top of my head

I've got loads of drum libraries, including the new Drums from Hell Superior (all 37 gigs!), and there's STILL lots of great drum sounds I still haven't heard anywhere....

For example:

Roger Taylor (Queen) has the boomiest toms in the world. Best example, probably on Queen II, Loser in the End or Ogre Battle.

Phil Collins high-pitched Genesis-era snare, and mellow toms as in "Battle of Epping Forest", or the sharp spiky sound of Brand X's "Smacks of Euphoric Hysteria" from the album Unorthodox Behavior.

U2's ringy, undamped, roomy sound on WAR's "Refugee".

Ringo's "tea towel" sound on "Come Together". Or the super compressed sound of "Revolution".

Shawn Pelton's super warm fat snare tone on Shaun Colvin's "Sonny Came Home". Or Russ Kunkel's equally meaty snare on Lyle Lovett's "I've Been to Memphis" (Joshua Judges Ruth)

The super tight, dead snare on Steely Dan's "Aja" (Peg)

Stewart Copeland's ultra snappy, compressed kit on all of "Outlandos D'Amour", especially "Next to You".

Jerry Marotta's kit on Gabriel's third album, especially "I Don't Remember".

And so many more... These are the sounds that you still hear in pop music everyday, but are overlooked by most commercial libraries. Oddly enough, the loop libraries tend to use the more "produced" sounds, but I can never find them in single hits.
Wow! Computers almost work!

First and Last and Always - Sisters of Mercy

Drums by Doktor Avalanche 8)

From a production perspective I've always liked Tom Lord-Alge's work - especially with Weezer and the last Marilyn Manson album - the way the kit gels together and especially the punchy snares.

I always have his SOS interview handy when recording rock bands:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr00/a ... omlord.htm

I'm not sure what PG albums he worked on, I'm guessing he worked on UP in some form. I guess it's his usage of compression which gives his mixes a 'signature' sound.

Looking elsewhere, some nice crispy piccolo snares would be nice, band-wise some big kits ala Pixies, Queens of the Stone Age and something as clear as the drum sound on the Tenacious D album would be marvellous - looking up that recording process on that album:

"The drums were miked with a Neumann FET 47 on the kick, a Shure 57 on the snare and two Manley Reference Golds as overheads." - recorded in Neil Diamond's studio of all places.

If you can make a sampled cymbal really sound like the Ringo on "Come Together" it would be worth any price...
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

Always liked the sound of Stuart Tosh’s drums on the early Alan Parsons Project albums (“Tales of Mystery and Imagination”, “I Robot”). No idea what kind of kit he used. :?

/Yoss

some more:

REM: Automatic For The People
The drum sound on Drive especially

Iggy Pop & Stooges: Funhouse
Dirt!!!

Some nice Albini stuff:

Pixies: Surfer Rosa
Nirvana: In Utero

On the subject of Albini, are you going to include specific mics in SP via layering (ala BFD), more specifically will you be able to mix the room sound, for Albini tends to add power to choruses via the room mic, then obviously mixes it lower in the verses.

Three songs with loooonnng drum solos:

Rare Earth: "Get ready" (the 22 min. version)

Iron Butterfly: "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" (the 17 min. studio version)

Sweet Smoke: "Just a Poke" (with the famous "ping-pong" effect)
Andreas (I presume my forefathers were apes)

Image Listen to some Monkey-Music

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”