Four New Drum Kit Products for BFD2 Coming Soon!

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello KVR!

I'd like to share my personal experience with Epik Drums - Bill Cobham Kit for BFD2 and Eco. I hope it'll be helpful for some of you.

First, i'm running the kit inside BFD Eco latest version, Logic Pro 9.1.6, Lion 10.7.2, Mac Mini Server/16 GB RAM, and playing with my Roland HD-1. That said, i'm not allowed to comment about other setups.
The kit has 6.6 GB if you choose full installation and will give you 1 kick (or 2, BC Kick R and BC Kick L - a double bass setup), 3 snares, BC Snare 1 (damped), BC Snare 2 (non-damped) and BC Snare 3 (low tuned), a set of 7 toms ( 3 high toms, 2 mid toms and 2 floor toms, 1 hi-hat, 6 Sabian cymbals - 4 crashes, 1 ride, and 1 china. Plus, OH and Room mics and one percussion slot: Native American Drums.

After install, i didn't have access to any kit, preset or mixer files. I needed to load every single kit piece, one by one, before i play the kit. Maybe the presets are for BFD2 only? I'd like to know...
The first kit piece loaded was BC Kick R. Great! After that, i loaded the BC Kick L... totally different sound!!! Much lower in volume and "distant", less presence. Tweaking a little more, no sound on kick channel when the mic blend knob is set to "out" position. Is that right?
All 3 snares are fantastic sound wise and play very good at all dynamics. Three distincts flavors, all very useful. The toms are superb, with good dynamics and a great open sound, all perfectly tuned. From very high to deep floor tom. The hi-hat, dynamically speaking, is not the smoothest one, neither the worst. Just fine. The transitions/articulations will perform better if you tweak a little.
The cymbals, on the other hand, didn't play well in my setup. They play BAD. All the crashes performs like the humanize velocity knob is turned all the way up. Very, very inconsistent. The Ride and China, performs better. Again, the sound is very good.
The percussion seems to be ok, but i didn't play that much with it.

I think, generally speaking, it's a very good/great sound kit. No machine gunning sensation (don't play at 127 velocity all the time!!), and with 20% off, it's almost a no-brainer. I said almost, because i'd like to see the related issues addressed first. Maybe the issues are related to Eco format. Maybe not, i couldn't tell. What i can tell you is that i have similar problems with BFD Eco native sounds, like bad dynamics response. But, my other 3rd part kit, Platinum Samples Rock Legends has no issues at all. It just plays perfectly, on same setup, HD-1, etc.

I'd really appreciate a word or two from developer about those problems.

Cheers!

The kits are designed for BFD and not Eco. You can load each kit piece in Eco to build the kit but the presets must be used with BFD2.

Allen

eSoundz Support

allen_esoundz wrote:The kits are designed for BFD and not Eco. You can load each kit piece in Eco to build the kit but the presets must be used with BFD2.

Allen

eSoundz Support
Thanks for reply Allen.
Are you aware of the other issues related?

In addition, with regards the kick... you are correct that the out position for mic blend has no output. One must use Centered or In.
Ashley Smith
CEO - MIX IT IN THE BOX
www.mixititb.com | www.seattleunderground.co.uk
Sound Engineer/Producer/Musician/Audio and Media Content Creator

andywright67 wrote:In addition, with regards the kick... you are correct that the out position for mic blend has no output. One must use Centered or In.
Thanks Ashley!

And what about the sound? At same position (mic blend, dynamics, kick, OH and Room channels, no effects) BC Kick R and L sounds very different. Is it normal?

brazilian_samba wrote:
andywright67 wrote:In addition, with regards the kick... you are correct that the out position for mic blend has no output. One must use Centered or In.
Thanks Ashley!

And what about the sound? At same position (mic blend, dynamics, kick, OH and Room channels, no effects) BC Kick R and L sounds very different. Is it normal?
Kick L and R are very different. One weaker to give better dynamic transition when playing double bass drum patterns.
Ashley Smith
CEO - MIX IT IN THE BOX

Thanks again, Ashley. Very helpful.

My last concern is about the cymbals, especially the crashes. Dynamically speaking, they play very inconsistent, like humanize velocity set all the way up. No matter what i try, i can't fix it.
Any thoughts on that?

brazilian_samba wrote:Thanks again, Ashley. Very helpful.

My last concern is about the cymbals, especially the crashes. Dynamically speaking, they play very inconsistent, like humanize velocity set all the way up. No matter what i try, i can't fix it.
Any thoughts on that?
You're welcome.

If you adjust Vel Rnd in the KPI (Kit Piece Inspector) to 0% then you'll get no randomization, and thus be able to play through the velocities or program with consistency at set velocities. Setting Vel Rnd to 0% effectively disables Anti Machine Gun mode too, if you've that set in the preferences?
Ashley Smith
CEO - MIX IT IN THE BOX

andywright67 wrote:
brazilian_samba wrote:Thanks again, Ashley. Very helpful.

Any thoughts on that?
You're welcome.

If you adjust Vel Rnd in the KPI (Kit Piece Inspector) to 0% then you'll get no randomization, and thus be able to play through the velocities or program with consistency at set velocities. Setting Vel Rnd to 0% effectively disables Anti Machine Gun mode too, if you've that set in the preferences?
I'm running the kit in BFD Eco, which doesn't have Vel Rnd. The equivalent function, Humanize Velocity, is set all the way down, at 000%. And i'm still get that weirdness.
But with the Anti Machine Gun disabled, the cymbal plays ok, one hit at a time. Unfortunately, the rest of the kit plays like an AK-47...
I think i need to upgrade to BFD2, and been able to adjust Vel Rnd per kit piece. Of course, the kit will play much better.

Anyway, thanks for you help once more.
Best!

Yep, you get a lot more control over everything in BFD2, and the kits were more so purposely ported for it over Eco.

When I've a mo I'll see what's what and try to create some Eco presets.
Ashley Smith
CEO - MIX IT IN THE BOX

andywright67 wrote:Yep, you get a lot more control over everything in BFD2, and the kits were more so purposely ported for it over Eco.

When I've a mo I'll see what's what and try to create some Eco presets.
I'll appreciate that!
:)

For the cymbals. Uncheck anti machine gun, then turn up humanize just a bit, then adjust Vel Rnd to about a 1/4 of the way up.

Guys are we having problems with the server? I am trying to log in to my account .... and getting a " you don't have permission to access my account on this server" server at esoundz at port 443 ??

Pim
TD20W expanded/SPD-S/Delta 1010
Dell XPS 410 Intel® Core™2 Duo E6700 2.66 GHZ 4GB RAM/ Tracktion 3/Reaper
Superior 2.0 with all packs plus ezx Jazz/Funk/DFH
BFD2 w/all Platinum Samples and various packs
Steven Slate

pimenta wrote:Guys are we having problems with the server? I am trying to log in to my account .... and getting a " you don't have permission to access my account on this server" server at esoundz at port 443 ??

Pim

Pim, are you still having this problem? I sent an email to the web guy over the weekend to check out. He didn't have any issues. Let me know

Allen

Hi,

I was searching Google for help with not be being able the account page and I found this thread.

I have done today but I can't access my account page to get the serial :(

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”