Alan Parsons Sample Project Sessions

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, I've hinted around about this for years. It's been happening for awhile but now we're getting close to the final product AND we're working on music to go along with it!

Tomorrow I have a mix session with Alan Parsons where we're doing mixes for drums in the style of Dark Side of the Moon on an original EMITG12345 mixing console. Last week we recorded "Money" with Alastair Greene from the Alan Parsons Live Project and I did an interview with Alan and Keyboard Magazine. I will be posting video clips from that interview here: http://www.youtube.com/sonicelementschannel (that's a dedicated channel where I will post SR-related music clips and interviews - currently there are interviews with Keith Emerson from ELP and Billy Sherwood from Yes, Circa).

More info coming... lots of really nice vintage samples in this for Kontakt, Reason, SampleTank, Motif and other formats. It's not officially announced yet but in the spirit of keeping you informed of what's going on in the Sonic Reality forum... I'm due for some juicy news. I've been posting more regularly about the music side of things here: http://www.facebook.com/sonicelements

Wow, cool. I can't wait :love:
It`s not a bug... it`s a feature!

Squids wrote:So, I've hinted around about this for years. It's been happening for awhile but now we're getting close to the final product AND we're working on music to go along with it!

Tomorrow I have a mix session with Alan Parsons where we're doing mixes for drums in the style of Dark Side of the Moon on an original EMITG12345 mixing console. Last week we recorded "Money" with Alastair Greene from the Alan Parsons Live Project and I did an interview with Alan and Keyboard Magazine. I will be posting video clips from that interview here: http://www.youtube.com/sonicelementschannel (that's a dedicated channel where I will post SR-related music clips and interviews - currently there are interviews with Keith Emerson from ELP and Billy Sherwood from Yes, Circa).

More info coming... lots of really nice vintage samples in this for Kontakt, Reason, SampleTank, Motif and other formats. It's not officially announced yet but in the spirit of keeping you informed of what's going on in the Sonic Reality forum... I'm due for some juicy news. I've been posting more regularly about the music side of things here: http://www.facebook.com/sonicelements
Squids:

Any news regarding this? Big Alan Parsons fan here.

NoviceNewbie

Very cool. Always loved Alan Parsons project since I was a kid and first heard "Games People Play" on the radio. Favorite song is "Some Other Time"..

Also interested in any updates..

We're working on recreating the various iconic sounds (starting with drums) from Dark Side of the Moon - and to demonstrate it in action we're actually doing a full tribute to the album! Here's a clip of Alastair Greene of Alan Parsons Live Project recording the guitar solo for MONEY (Alan's in the background checking it out). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-66W25ap ... -PbYertTwg

There's also a few interview clips on that channel as well with him and others. http://www.youtube.com/sonicelementschannel

The first release I believe is going to be a drum kit in the style of Dark Side that is nearing completion in BFD format. Other format stereo kit versions will be available for that one. Then there's a beautiful piano we recorded that's coming plus more.

BFD first? nice! I need a bigger hard drive.
too much is never enough. - gmontano on esoundz.com

gmontano wrote:BFD first? nice! I need a bigger hard drive.
Love that BFD is going first, but Squids, go big with the velocity layers or offer a larger size option at a higher cost. I really like the 60's downbeat and Woody kits, but I wish there were more layers in each and I would have paid extra to get them. Particularly in the cymbal area. Just a suggestion...this upcoming project (no pun intended) sounds awesome.

Ironically these type of sounds - at least the skins - don't really have much that benefits from a lot of velocity layers. The timbral change of a dampened drum is significantly less than a regular typical drum. Cymbals are a different story. In any case, I don't know what these are but it's probably similar to what we usually do. Maybe a little bit more. We're not gratuitous with that or kits become just too massive. I mean, EpiK DrumS is over 100 gigabytes in size already (the original Kontakt version with everything). There has to be a balance. We make our BFD kits downloadable despite them still being rather large for a download. It's more about the character of the drum sound that we go for than the most massive possible kit each time. But it depends. That certainly wasn't the goal for this kit though. However, it does sound like vintage Floyd more than anything else I've heard.

Squids wrote:Ironically these type of sounds - at least the skins - don't really have much that benefits from a lot of velocity layers. The timbral change of a dampened drum is significantly less than a regular typical drum. Cymbals are a different story. In any case, I don't know what these are but it's probably similar to what we usually do. Maybe a little bit more. We're not gratuitous with that or kits become just too massive. I mean, EpiK DrumS is over 100 gigabytes in size already (the original Kontakt version with everything). There has to be a balance. We make our BFD kits downloadable despite them still being rather large for a download. It's more about the character of the drum sound that we go for than the most massive possible kit each time. But it depends. That certainly wasn't the goal for this kit though. However, it does sound like vintage Floyd more than anything else I've heard.
I agree that the additional layers benefit the cymbals the most, but unless you're using round-Robbin layers on the toms, they'd also benefit from additional layers on steady tom grooves. I also sympathize with wanting to keep sizes reasonable for downloading, but you could also split it up into multiple files. Server and hard drive space, as well as RAM are all very cheap right now so size isn't the concern it once was. Anyway, those are just my thoughts, still looking very forward to this.

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”