how do you get your sampletank drums sound fat?

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What tricks do you guys use to get your sampletank instrument drums to sound fat?

I'm forcing myself to use just the effects within sampletank (I have pretty much all the expansions) to make my drums have more weight - so far, no go. I'm using lo-fly kit 1 with Down low kit and compression doesn't seem to matter.

Any thoughts?

Try the Tone control! A GREAT effect ObiK from IK hipped me up to.
It's the closest thing in ST to an Easy Button for making everything bigger!
Here's a couple settings to get you going. Mine's a bit more subtle, and ObiK's gives really nice punch!

My favorite setting for the Tone Control:

Model: Tube 3 - Low: 5-7 - Mid: 6 - High: 2.8 - Presence: 0 - Level: 1

ObiK posted this one:

"Model: Tube 1, - Low: 7-8 - Mid: 4-6 - High: 2-3 - Presence: 2 - Level: 2. Usually followed by a limiter or compressor to get that workstation sound and to handle any overs or digital clipping during the creative phases."

You can also use it on the Master effects slot, since there's not a whole lot it DOESN'T sound good on!

KVR/esoundz: Xenobt

Hey! Thanks for the tip! It didn't help me with my problem, but it made it sound a little more alive!

What did solve my problem was layering the bass drum with an 808 bass drum - perfect weight!

Yeah, I use that trick a lot myself! Sometimes, those thin Roland claps, ticky CR78 hats or tight 808/909 snares are just the thing to make an acoustic kit sound more radio ready. Try layering some 707 or Simmons toms over real ones too, BIG!

Also, just a note since you mentioned compression earlier... Sometimes with ST's processed "child" kits, the drums have already been hit pretty hard with compression and effects, so adding more may do more harm than good, and actually make things smaller!

The kits are pretty well balanced, so try taking channel compression OFF one or both kits to let them "breathe" more. It may add back some of the punch you're looking for.

Another old mixing trick to bring anything forward is to make copy of the track that's just CRUSHED with compression, eq and even tape/tube type distortion, and blend it in with the normally processed version to taste. Things get pretty in your face, without lots of lost headroom at the master.

You may be surprised how little can make a big difference, I often am!:-o
Just make sure your plug-in delay compensation is on or you can get some nasty short delay phase problems as you blend them together.

KVR/esoundz: Xenobt

I've been struggling with sampletank drums in the mix. But have you tried zone editing? Can't believe I've never messed with this, but I think it's worth a try. I never new you could edit individual samples and individual notes (like only the kick, instead of the whole kit).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ShKozlTSs

edit: I mean, can't you get the drums to sound fatter with zone editing? I've tried to make them sound fatter by using compression and limiting across the entire kit, and i get cymbals that sound nasty, and the drums don't sound as fat as I want them to. I assume that you probably know this feature, but it was new to me.
Last edited by caotico on Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

gckilla wrote:What tricks do you guys use to get your sampletank instrument drums to sound fat?

Any thoughts?
Send them to Mc Donalds, Image
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

been reading up on zone editing, which seems to not quite do what I thought it does, so it's probably not helpful. apologies.

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”