Infinite Player and NI Studio Drummer

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Squids,

Can you give us the inside skinny on the future of Infinite Player seeing that NI is about to release their new Kontakt-based Studio Drummer? I hope that this will integrate well with all the hard work you've done up to now on the Infinite Player libraries. If anything, I'm guessing that Kontakt 5 will still host your libraries as they are. I'm wondering if they could be used as they stand with Studio Drummer as well.

I'm not too happy with what NI just did to all of us Kore-users. If they cause you any problems with their new Maschine-focused vision, I'm really going to have to open up a can of whoop-ass on somebody in Berlin. Nobody messes with my Dave and gets away with it.

Yes Kontakt 4, 5, 6 etc. will host our Infinite Player sample libraries. Keep in mind that the "infinite player" simply our "unlocks" the license with NI for our third party encrypted Kontakt format samples and patches to work. It also allows the sounds to work in the free Kontakt Player for people that don't own the full version of Kontakt. So nothing changes there regardless of any Kontakt-based instruments they may do. Now, whether our encrypted samples will work with this interesting new plug-in who knows? Probably not. But if we did support it we'd do a low priced (or possibly free for a limited time) cross-grade discount. First we'd need to see it in our hands and get our heads around the benefits (besides what's mentioned so far and the bells and whistle graphics - which are nice but it's unclear if it would make a sonic difference vs. running regular Kontakt with Infinite Player through your best IK, Waves and/or UAD plug-ins and the like).

Other things to keep in mind of course is that Infinite Player isn't just for drums - it's for a wide variety of Kontakt sounds from SR from drums to workstation instruments to loops to sound effects... It will continue so no worries about the future of Infinite Player apart from the fact that it does need the continued support from customers. But as long as there is interest in great sounds for Kontakt then it will live on.

One other thing that remains unique about the drums we do for Kontakt is the multitrack audio grooves. Nothing else (including this Studio Drummer) does THAT. It does midi which is in a lot of ways more practical but it is not the same as a real drummer playing the groove in the studio and having some tempo flexibility while still being able to mix the mics. However that's an expert feature that I am not sure everyone gets or uses. I use it and I love it. The drums we've done for the Infinite Player, while there are some tweaks here and there to refine and make alternate patches (which we'll share with our customers for free soon), totally suits my production needs! I love it. Nails it and that's what matters most - the END RESULT music you create with it. The listener of your music doesn't "see' what cool looking plug-ins you used. They hear the music you made and if it sounds like a great drummer in a great studio with the rest of the music sounding great then that to me is the main goal!

But I do like the features of these things and they sometimes suit the specific needs of others. For instance our BFD support will satisfy some e-Drummers better than our Kontakt versions have. Fair enough. Our thing is mainly the sampling and capturing of the sounds we like. What format it is in and taking advantage of the features is a second layer and something we're very open minded about.

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”