Extending instrument note ranges in Sampletank?

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there any way to extend the instrument note ranges in Sampletank? I'm kind of new to it as of the current group buy but I've read the manual and I can't find a way to do this.

I find some of the instruments in the World Collection have very restricted ranges. While this may be appropriate for "realistic use" of these instruments, I'd like to be able to "reach" an extra semitone or two beyond the currently assigned keyrange. If this can't be done from the GUI, can this be done by editing the source files? Thanks.

Not extending as such, but you can change the note (pitch) range in using different algorithms:
-- click the [Synth] button,
-- then on the left-hand side, there are selectors for 3 different algorithms,
-- and different controls are displayed for each one,

-- for example, drop the pitch by -12 semitones
-- audition it,
-- save the changes as a "User preset", over on the right-hand side you'll see 3 User preset buttons, click [Save] and enter a name (for example, derived to the Instrument name is most convenient, followed by -12st),
-- the preset will then appear in the Browser for future use.

So if you load the Instrument itself you get the original range. if you load the preset you get the Pitch dropped by an octave. Both are played with the same MIDI notes in your DAW (but you can change that with the [Range] transpose control).

Have a look at sections 7.1 to 7.3 in the ST2 User Manual.

HTH
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Thanks. But it's an awkward workaround and it doesn't really work with many sounds because all that's required is an extension of the alloted range without any dramatic variation of the timbre. The processes you point to modify timbre.

It turns out I have the demo version of Translator free and it recognizes the SampleTank format. The program is too limited to do anything useful (5 hour and 30 minute wait till the next edit!?), but when looking at a SampleTank instrument it shows all the key ranges, the velocity switches and the assigned sample #'s. Too bad translator is so expensive.

While in principle it should be possible to edit the raw file, I unfortunately don't have an esoundz secret decoder ring... or the patience to reverse engineer the format.

Hopefully SampleTank 3 will include the easy extension of edge samples. It has been requested.
Somewhere in the background zedd

i have wished for this feature too, even to re-mapping samples. as far as i know, translator will not actually allow saving of sampletank format copyrighted samples, such as Philharmonik. it WILL work on sampletank version one samples but thats not of much use nowadays. yes translator is expensive and the above limitations are one reason i didn't buy it. sampletank is kind of primitive these days in so much as the limitations you encountered but it's still real nice to use.
"..What is simple, is simply seen.."

Thanks for the clarification nexussynth. So it's hopeless until such time as they decide to update the program. Shame really. It's such a simple thing! Pitch bend will have to do for now.

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”