IK/SR VI HOT BUY - GROUP BUY on eSoundz!!! SampleTank Instruments for $99 + more!

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Alright we're just about done with the Miroslav Outtakes. It kept a lot of quirky stuff in there because that was part of the whole point... for one reason or another it was left off the main library. Sometimes because the range was too limited, sometimes because it was an articulation that wasn't consistent with the rest of the library (cool extra articulations!) and sometimes because there were technical errors in the playing like other strings accidentally playing and things like that... but I have to say some of those errors are quirky and beautiful! I was going to take them out and just keep them for myself (just because I didn't want people to be critical of them and say "some of these have noises or are out of tune!") but you know... since it is a freebie I figured the other people who are like me and want the quirky stuff too... well, you get both the better quality material and the sort of oddities that were left on the cutting room floor. A trill or a glissando that even if it has a limited range or is inconsistent is still a GEM (even one note of it) to someone's track so we packed it in pretty darn good! All sorts of misc stuff in there. We kept a lot of the names similar to what they were originally in the archive - in another language (I believe in Czeck since it was recorded at the Dvorak Theatre in Prague by Miroslav). Here's an example sound list of the string outtakes:

Solo Viol Pizz Kratke
Violin Stacc Delsi Jednim
Viol Trills
Trill Cely Ton
Vln Pizz Po Dvoch
Vln Pizz Po Jednej
Staccato Tlumene
4 Violy Pizz
4 Violy Stacc
Stacc Zvednute
4 Violy LN
23 Violins Rumble NV
23 Violins Stacc OT
Viola Quirky Dvojky 1
Violin celo tonova
Celli BSS Detache Short
Slur In Strings
Vl Molove Tercie
Solo String Kratke
Vl Pultonova
Quarty glisanda
Spiccato Staccato
Staccato String Nrm 2
Jean Sul Ponty
Viola Tremolo
Cello Detache Long 2 OT
Cello Detache Long SMYK
Cello Detache Long 1 OT
Cello Detache Short OT

This reminds me in a way of the Squids Tron Extras. The odd stuff. But also some real nice alternate articulations! I'm going to experiment with that a little now that we have them and I might share my experimentations. In the meantime you'll be able to download this later today and over the weekend (or whenever you want).

If you somehow MISSED the group buy we're going to offer all the SampleTank libraries we have on sale over the weekend and if you buy at least $99 of stuff we'll give you the Miroslav Outtakes for free. That's our thank you to all esoundz and SampleTank users. But remember that's the ONLY way to get this library as it is not for sale on its own! It's about 750 mb of various Strings, Brass and Woodwind outtakes never before heard from the original archives of Miroslav Vitous! More news coming...

:D WAY COOL!
I've liked a lot of the quirkier stuff in the Cinematik and Cinema Sessions sets for unusual cartoon or scary/sci fi sound design, and almost a gb? For free? NICE!

CERTAINLY worth the wait! THANKS, SQUIDS!!!

KVR/eSoundz: Xenobt

Speaking of worth the wait we have something new finally for Studiophonik users as well. The original Prelude Group Buyers will get it for free and everyone else will be able to get it for a low price. Might even release that today along with Miroslav Bonus Outtakes! A nice day for some SampleTankin'

If you joined the group buy for VI Hot Buy your Miroslav Bonus Outtakes should be available in your esoundz member's area under My Downloads now. Enjoy!

Some nice patches in there Squids! Thanks!

One complaint: "Cello Detache Long 1 OT" is missing the cello's low C, which would just have required the key range of the C# to be extended a semi-tone down. All the other Cello patches are ok.

One of my biggest complaints about SampleTank is the inability of the user to fix silly things like this...

Yeah it really should allow for extending the range in the plug-in itself. There were some range oriented things in this that were questionable - that's one and I am sure there are some others. Some can be fixed like that one and some would just not sound good going too far past what was sampled (remember these are the scraps and leftovers). But we can compile a list of requests like this and see about doing an update for some ranges since unfortunately that cannot be done in the plug-in itself.

A couple tips about extending the sample range: Unless the notes overlap or have a long decay, you can throw a sharp pitchbend between them to get that extra note or two. Just keep in mind that any layers you build will need the same pitch bend range to match it.

And I believe torgo had a solution for long decay sounds involving a multi with that semitone pitch change built in at the synth level on another ST/midi channel.

I'd been used to playing things WAY out of their ranges on my old samplers, so it takes a little getting used to having notes just STOP on either end! Especially since the Stretch engine does SO well with that. But I think ST3 will address this, many have noted it... get it, noted? :roll:

But Garritan is built the same way, so I believe it helps with "proper" orchestration to not have things play out of their best range, and purposely have you switch to another instrument for that register for more realism.

I DO get it, but sometimes it's just ONE more note I need! :cry: :)

What do you guys think of us extending the range of most of the sounds and offering an extended range version of the parent for most of them? It might not be as realistic but since ST can't do that on its own you could decide to limit the range (that you can do) to your liking but also play the sounds unrealistically out of their range as an option as well. I was actually going to do this for myself anyway so it's not a big deal unless I run into trouble with it. Interested? It'd be a free update. (Who says no? Haha)

Squids wrote:(Who says no? Haha)
Not me! Give me a choice of having the option. and I'll always chose that. :D

It would be a quick fix for any missing notes. And good orchestrators are very conscious of instrument limits anyways. Plus many people on these boards are not really concerned with physical accuracy as much as experimenting with sound. Out of range natural samples are great food for creative mangling. :hihi:

Also, unless something has changed in previous years, traditionally hardware romplers never limited the instrument ranges; they always stretched as far up or down as the samples could stretch, whether musically accurate or not.
Last edited by Breeze on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That would be amazing! :love:
I do miss fooling around with those extreme ranges...
And while we're on the ST3 wish list, keyboard filter tracking! That'll help tame some of the issues with out of range stuff too, especially on the top end.

They'll listen to YOU, Squids! :)

I saw they're doing some sampling for it in Italy, is SR involved?

Just like with SampleTank 2 there are two separate sampling teams. IK's own team in Italy and Sonic Reality here in the U.S. We'll do all the sampling for a Sonik Synth 3 etc. but "contribute" to SampleTank 3's main sound set like we have in the past - most likely. But they are doing a lot of nice exclusive sampling for it there (meaning exclusively for SampleTank and no other format). A good combo of development that's worked well in the past.

Anyway, I agree with both points. These aren't even necessarily in the specified range of the instrument per se but more whatever was sampled for that articulation. Some of them I think he was going for something he wanted personally and some of it he may have abandoned ship (like the one labeled quirky... that one clearly has issues but... I kind of like how messed up it is actually and it can be used with some effects to create some cool sounds or even used to make a string player sound more real with a few realistic mess ups etc. Play it and you'll see what I mean.).

So, I will experiment with extending ranges and either add it to the product officially or make it available to those that are keen enough to participate in our company forum and hear of such a thing... hmmmm... actually that sounds pretty good! Maybe we'll do it that way. A reward for hanging around? Lucky you sort of angle. I'm experimenting here with incentives. Haha. Plus I want to spice up this company forum a little. It got neglected when I went off to produce this album last year (that's not even out yet!). But Squids is back in full force! Also in the Marketplace section. Gonna get all generous on you guys! ;)

Okay so the Studiophonik surprise will have to wait until Monday. In the meantime I may work on these extended range instruments over the weekend and see if that can't be made available to the select few that bother to read my posts! ;) Just kidding. I know a lot of you do and hey if you're reading this right now then you're in! No worries. :D

^^^^

You just know that there are some eagle-eyed hawks (?) reading your every word, with several elephants in tow to remember what you say.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Definitely some eagle-eyes watching for new sets in SampleTank format.

More Studiophonik will be great, and I'm still holding on to my hopes for (pretty please) Squids Tron vol 2...

DarkStar wrote:^^^^

You just know that there are some eagle-eyed hawks (?) reading your every word, with several elephants in tow to remember what you say.
.....some eaglets/noobies, too :hihi:

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”