Legal usage of DrummerTracks Pro Wave Edition?

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Squids,

I seem to recall that these DrummerTracks are only intended for jamming and inspiration, but are not to be used as a "keeper" foundation within an actual song project without paying an additional license fee.

Is this still correct? And what kind of additional license fee would be required to allow for this usage?

I am considering the DrummerTracks Pro Wave 10-Pack, but I would want to be able to keep a DrummerTrack (or sections of it) in a song if it sounds like a good fit, as is.

Thanks in advance,

Zedd
Somewhere in the background zedd

I managed to get the following info :

The Pro Wave Edition titles have full CD quality WAVE files that can work in any media player, DAW, or recorder/player. They come with the license to create commercially released music using the included DrummerTracks of that title. Pro Wave Edition DrummerTracks titles include 10 drum songs that lock to tempo plus additional bonus "live" tracks with natural drift and loose human feel.

It looks to me like the 10 pack consist of the pro version which looks like you can use them for commercial use although it is a bit confusing so I wouldn't quote me.

It's kinda confusing.
I would like to know if I could use Kontakt to play them.

Anyone know?

venerable bede wrote:Pro Wave Edition DrummerTracks titles include 10 drum songs that lock to tempo...
And I'd like to know more about how they lock to tempo! I was just thinking that if they are not REX files, changing tempo might be a problem. But if they can lock to tempo, how exactly does that work?

Good find, venerable bede! Looks like we can use these titles in our recordings, and that makes this much more compelling for me. :)

I'm also interested but I need to know a bit more and it's not to easy getting details on this product.

I am worried that they may be hiding something.

venerable bede wrote:I am worried that they may be hiding something.
Naw! Don't worry about that.

This is a good company with quality products and great customer service. Product details are sometimes neglected simply because the company owner, Squids, is usually working on lots of new products and doesn't always fill in the details in all the places where you might look.

But I think you managed to find the vital bit of extra information we needed.

And YES, I do believe you can play these tracks from within Kontakt, if you chose to do it that way. Perhaps using Kontakt is connected to the tempo locking thing that was mentioned in that blurb you posted?

Squids will probably chime in when he sees this thread. 8)

I'll be interested to hear what squids has to say.

venerable bede wrote:I'll be interested to hear what squids has to say.
Direct from the Drummertracks Pro License which is included with the product:
LICENSE AGREEMENT

In short, you may use these sounds freely as long as you use them in a musical
context for records, re-mixes, film or TV soundtracks, commercials and the like.
They may not appear as free-standing sounds in a music or sound effects library or
compilation. Licensing for computer games, DLS sets or multimedia is NOT covered
by this agreement. Contact Sonic Reality for more information.
There's also a note that says you don't need to credit the product in your music, but if you do there's a specific way they want you to do it.

Not sure what to make of the "locked to tempo" statement... these are just WAV files with set BPMs as stated in their respective file names. I don't think "locked to tempo" means it will sync up to your DAW setting - I think it means literally that each track is limited (locked) to only the tempo it was record at.
- madhatter (on esoundz)

I need to clarify this "locked to tempo" claim before I make a purchase. I hate it when they use this type of terminology. It's very misleading.

Thanks for the update madhatter :-)

madhatter_ wrote:I don't think "locked to tempo" means it will sync up to your DAW setting - I think it means literally that each track is limited (locked) to only the tempo it was record at.
Well since the quoted text actually says "Pro Wave Edition DrummerTracks titles include 10 drum songs that lock to tempo" it would certainly be misleading if that actually means that it doesn't lock to DAW tempo. It sounds like it is supposed to be adjustable, but I don't believe that Wave files can be adjusted in a way similar to REX files.

Where is the Squids when we need him? Please clarify. :?:

I would jump on this product immediately if there was a REX version. How about it creating a REX version? I might be willing to buy in now with the promise of a REX version to follow. Otherwise I might have to finally break down and buy ReCycle (which I'd rather not do right now).

I have a couple of freebies from IKMM - each one is a single "song-length" .wav file. I can timestretch them in my host or slice them and rearrange them (to greater or lesser success)

You may have one too; check out your IKMM Account:
FREE DrummerTracks to qualified AmpliTube and AmpliTube Mobile users!

Registered users of AmpliTube 3, AmpliTube 2, AmpliTube 2 Live, AmpliTube Jimi Hendrix, AmpliTube Metal, Ampeg SVX, AmpliTube Fender, AmpliTube Fender SE, AmpliTube Fender LE, X-GEAR and AmpliTube Mobile products, please log-in to your IK Multimedia User Area to download your Free DrummerTracks.

On the main page of your User Area, click on "Sounds Download" and click on "DrummerTracks - Watchtower Groove". This free download will only be available in your User Area for 30 days after logging in to your User Area.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Okay, first you can use the current Pro Wave versions in your commercially released music. Not just for jamming. You can also cut them up however you want in your DAW. Have fun! You can't re-release them as drum loops or as full drum tracks on their own. But make music with them.

Some titles coming out (like the Neil Peart one) may have some restrictions but it will be made very clear if there are.

As for lock to tempo, that means essentially that they were "Beat Detectived" in ProTools so they will stay in sync at the tempo in the name of the file. Unfortunately it's not possible to have song length (3-4 minute) Rex files as the format doesn't allow that many slices. Of course if you like REX files then we have our R.A.W. Series on www.esoundz.com which has some of the same grooves cut up already into 2-4 bar loops in REX, Apple Loops and/or Acidized Wave... those FOLLOW the tempo of your DAW. The DrummerTracks do not unless your DAW has time stretching (like elastic audio) or something like that.

The way to look at DrummerTracks is like having the drum track out of a multitrack recording. It's precomposed so some really natural live playing can be inspiring to write with, practice or jam along to. I personally also like the non-locked to tempo tracks (we call them "bonus live tracks" sometimes) because the natural drift in tempo is also very realistic too. That happens when you're playing with a real drummer in the studio if you're not playing to a click which I sometimes like to do. A certain live feel to it.

The DrummerTracks Pro Wave 10-Pack really is awesome and since its on sale right now for half price on esoundz, at $99 it's less than $10 per pack! (Each pack is normally $29). So, if you like drum tracks to play along to then this is a good opportunity to get a lot of really good ones for a great price. Plus, there might even be some extra freebie surprises for everyone who gets DrummerTracks from eSoundz as well. I don't want to say what yet because that gets me into trouble but let's just say there could be some bonuses... and I will explain more about that soon. Here: http://www.esoundz.com/details.php?Prod ... code=DTKVR

One last thing... if you're reading this and you're curious what a DrummerTrack is like we've posted a FREE one in the Free Soundz area of eSoundz now. It's drums in the style of Led Zeppelin (part of Stairway to Heaven). Fun groove to play ANYTHING over. Cool sound too. That's a real Bonham spec Ludwig kit sampled with the same miking etc.

Thanks for all the answers Squidly!
Squids wrote:Rex files as the format doesn't allow that many slices.
Aha! I was wondering if this might be the case. Glad to have confirmation.

I just did a couple of tests in Digital Performer. Using the function Create Soundbites from Beats... slices up the audio, in much the way that ReCycle would, giving you the DrummerTrack in slices from start to finish. It took about 5 minutes to perform the function at a high enough resolution to catch all the beats, but at least it can be done, and you do end up with a sliced version of the track which sounds almost identical to the original WAVE file at faster tempos, and to a lesser degree at slower tempos.

Also, Adjust Soundbites to Sequence Tempo will simply time-stretch the audio to automatically match the sequence tempo works pretty well, but the stretched track can worble a bit during sections with the ride cymbal.

I can understand why Recycle doesn't support this many slices in a REX file, since I think the amount of data involved could result in some crashes, especially when dragging and dropping such big files into a host. After slicing a full DrummerTrack, I would probably bounce the track, at the new tempo, into a normal audio file again.

All in all, these DrummerTracks would come in handy for a variety of things.

Too bad they can't be rex'd, but is there a way to auto slice them as bars instead of beats? Then it would be really convenient to copy and paste loops, change order etc. I know it could be done manually fairly quickly, but can anyone tell me if and how you might do it quickly in reaper?
Cheers

try this:
-- set the project tempo and load the fie
-- run the Action: Go forward one measure
-- press S to split the clip

It will be better to put those last 2two actions into a Custom Action, then just click [Run] repeatedly. Just did "Stairway to Grrovin" here in 20 seconds. it may be possible to loop within the Custom Action too.

HTH
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Thanks Darkstar, I'll give that a try tonight. :)
Cheers

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”