Squids tron V1 or sampletron extra?

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

so i got this email with the 75% off sale on some sampletank sounds...

i'm interested in Squids tron collection V1, or sampletron exclusive extras. That second one has no demo or sound list, so I'm unsure which way to go.

Does anyone have any info on that,or comparisons between the 2?

cheers, Simon

Your post made me curious about this, so I copied "sampletron exclusive extras" from it, and pasted this in the search field of this forum and that's what I found:
torgo wrote:
2busdriver wrote:
Squids wrote:
2busdriver wrote:Is the "Squids Tron Exclusive Extras" GroupBuy bonus largly duplicated in the full SampleTron? Thanks.
No, in fact those are the sounds that didn't make it into SampleTron... some of the more quirky ones.

Cool, thanks! I'll pickup SampleTron as well.

2busdriver - just to help clarify the products, Squids created a disc called "Squids Tron Collection vol 1" long before SampleTron came out. And then SR did the sounds for SampleTron. Some of the stuff in Squids Tron ended up in SampleTron, and there was some new stuff in SampleTron that didn't come from Squids Tron.

So SR created two more discs to help users fill in the gaps on either product. "Squids Tron Exclusive Extras" has the stuff from Squids Tron Collection Vol 1 that did NOT make it to SampleTron. And "SampleTron Exclusive Extras" has the new stuff in SampleTron that wasn't in the Squids Tron Collection set.

For those who are really into the Tron thing, getting the Squids Tron Exclusive Extras as the esoundz bonus choice plus SampleTron in the new IK group buy is a great way to get SR's full line of 'Tron and related sounds.

And for those who don't know/don't care about the whole Mellotron thing but might want the "classic" sounds, skip it and get Sonik Synth 2 through the new group buy instead.

It has a great sound library (a few of us think it's better than SampleTank 2.5 XL) that includes 21 parent samples (148 meg, which is a whole lot for lo-fi Trons) of the most important Mellotron and related sounds.

If you just want the Strawberry Fields Forever flutes, the Nights In White Satin strings, some Yes and Genesis sounds, etc, Sonik Synth 2 has them. If you want more, more, MORE, MORE!!! then go for SampleTron and perhaps add Squids Tron Exclusive Extras.

thanks for that. wish there were audio samples.

I looked on their site where the 75% off sale is, but didn't see when the sale ends.

Does anyone know? :?

Examigan wrote:I looked on their site where the 75% off sale is, but didn't see when the sale ends.

October 31st! Happy Halloween. :D

Squids wrote:
Examigan wrote:I looked on their site where the 75% off sale is, but didn't see when the sale ends.

October 31st! Happy Halloween. :D
Maybe you could run the same sale again around December?
It's the only time I get any extra $$. :oops:

I don't know if anyone has helped answer your original question yet: which we would recommend as far as Squids Tron V1 vs SampleTron Extras.

I say the answer depends almost exclusively on what *other* items you have that include Mellotron-related sounds. Standalone found and copied a post of mine from a previous group buy thread that hit the various SampleTank-related offerings.

If you have absolutely no 'Tron material whatsoever, Squids Tron Collection Vol 1 would be the better option.

If you do have other 'Tron stuff (perhaps in Sonik Synth 2, Wusik EVE, the Tron Kapsule for Kontakt/Infinite Player, etc), let us know what you've got and I'll try to run down which library might do the best to add to your collection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two other important notes:

1) the usual disclaimer: for anyone reading this who doesn't know much about Mellotrons, please read a little about them before diving in head first and buying ANY Mellotron library. If you don't know what you're getting ahead of time, you might be disappointed.

In particular, if you'd be surprised to learn that 'Trons aren't even synths, you NEED to do some homework before shelling out your hard-earned cash.

(I'm not saying they're bad. I love 'em. The point is to understand what you're getting and to be sure 'Trons will give you what you want.

If you're looking for great strings sounds, check out the Best Of Sonic Strings library instead. And if it's a vintage synth you're after, go directly to SampleOB Expander and/or SampleArp Solo.)

2) If you've seen the XpansionTank 2 libraries that SR created for IK, you need to be aware that most of these titles are a bit different from their XpansionTank 2 counterparts.

In particular, notice the difference between "Expansion Tank" and "XpansionTank". In most cases, the XT 2 titles are newer, upgraded versions of the old Expansion Tank titles. Due to their arrangement with IK Multimedia, SR doesn't sell the new XT versions on esoundz - just the older "Expansion Tank" versions.

But there are several titles that are not offered as XT2 versions or are essentially the same as the XT2 versions. (For starters, check out the SampleArp Solo, Sample OB Expander, the World Grooves and the three Latin grooves titles.)

And if anyone out there is into the whole loops thing, DEFINITELY check out Trip-Hop Beats:

http://www.esoundz.com/details.php?ProductID=2478

It has the sound libraries from TWO of the XT2 packages (Trip Hop Collection and Down Tempo Electronica) in one big library. Not bad at all for the $25 sale price.

Great post, torgo!

I am a tron lover, but I haven't been able to fit it into tunes lately. I need to correct that! And I just noticed that I have Trip-hop in bothe retank and Konstrution formats! Love it.

So... just to be clear, is this correct?

* "Squids Tron Exclusive Extras" has the stuff from Squids Tron Collection Vol 1 that did NOT make it to SampleTron. ???
--- It is NOT discounted. ---

* "SampleTron Exclusive Extras" has the new stuff in SampleTron that wasn't in the "Squids Tron Collection V1". ???
--- It IS discounted. ---

* "Squids Tron Collection V1(download)" has every Tron-sound SR has released. ???
--- It IS discounted. ---

So those of us who already have SampleTron and want to get the rest of the Tron sounds cheap should buy the discounted "Squids Tron Collection V1(download)" and not the "Squids Tron Exclusive Extras" which isn't discounted. Am I right?

I just want to be really, really sure. :)

Thanks.

Squids Tron Collection doesn't quite have absolutely every Tron sound SR has released. Some are in SampleTron but not Squids Tron Collection V1. But if you have both SampleTron and Squids Tron Collection V1, you'll have them all between the two libraries.

Yep, since Squids Tron V1 (download) is the one that's on sale, that's the one to get. Sorry, I didn't check over the "Exclusive Extras" to find that it wasn't on sale. As you said, since the full version is on sale and the "Extras" version is not on sale, the full "Squids Tron Collection V1 (download)" is the obvious choice.

Two other notes:

(a) Some sounds are in both libraries. So you'll have some repeats.

(b) All of these sounds will load into SampleTank, but SampleTron will *only* play its own library. So if you want to have all your Tron sounds under one roof, use SampleTank to play them all.

The new "SampleTank Free" will supposedly load them all, so there will theoretically be no added expense involved in case you don't have SampleTank already. But I don't have the new ST Free and don't even know if it's out yet, so I can't attest to that firsthand.

However, I can tell you that the current SampleTank engine has the loop control (very important) and the other controls found in SampleTron. You won't lose a thing except for those cheesy pictures of the Tron instruments in the corner of the SampleTron engine. The interface looks different, but everything is pretty much in the same place. It's just two different skins for the same engine.

Okay, one more note...

For anyone out there not familiar with the idea of the loop control... The original Mellotron instruments played tapes to make their sounds. The tapes were typically about eight seconds long. You could only hold a note for that long before the sound would stop.

Some of the computer-based versions of Mellotrons loop the sounds so that you can have the notes sustain endlessly. Die-hard purists don't care for that, while many other musicians don't like having a note suddenly end after an arbitrary amount of time.

The loop control gives you the choice. You can turn the looping on or off, whichever you prefer. And Squids did a nice job setting the loop points so that it feels like a natural sustain rather than giving you a nasty jolt when the looping kicks in. The samples are well-prepared.

(That's one of the main reasons why SampleTank is my personal favorite tool for playing the Mellotron sounds. People knock ST as not being the highest end sampling engine, but it makes an absolutely fantastic Mellotron.)

@torgo: Thanks for a very long and thorough answer. Appreciated. :)

The "Exclusive Extras" pack seems to have been added to the promotion:

http://www.esoundz.com/details.php?ProductID=2144

standalone wrote:The "Exclusive Extras" pack seems to have been added to the promotion:

http://www.esoundz.com/details.php?ProductID=2144
That's the very same already discounted I mentioned above, "SampleTron Exclusive Extras."

The other one, "Squids Tron Exclusive Extras", isn't discounted - http://www.esoundz.com/details.php?ProductID=2173

I see, it's not the same as "Squids Tron Exclusive Extras". I'm officially lost. :hihi:

standalone wrote:I see, it's not the same as "Squids Tron Exclusive Extras". I'm officially lost. :hihi:
And adding to that, I've been waiting for the "Whales Tron Exclusive Extras" for ages. Where's it? ;)

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”