IK Multimedia Xpansion Tank 2 Group Buy

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just to be clear. you can have sub-folders within your "Presets" folder - that will help you organise your combis and make browsing them easier in ST2.

And, talking of browsing, I should mention this again for you mousewheel scrollers:
http://asseca.com/wiki/MGUI/SampleTank25GUI
-- mousewheel scrolling in the ST2 browser
-- full navigation and loading using your keyboard arrow keys and [Enter]
-- no need to have a BCR2000

-- all ePointz referrals to asseca, he deserves them.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Thanks, Torgo. Your overview of Tron libraries was really helpful!

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
DarkStar wrote: And, talking of browsing, I should mention this again for you mousewheel scrollers:
http://asseca.com/wiki/MGUI/SampleTank25GUI (http://asseca.com/wiki/MGUI/SampleTank25GUI)

Agree 100%, and as such gave him my referral for the current IP GB

Thanks for the cool utility!!

-- B

Finally got it: I moved the files directly into the preset folder without using a sub folder. Strange, but now it works. Thanks for the great drum kits!

Does anyone know if a Solina string machine was sampled in any of these packs?

Thx,
Rich

blueman wrote:Does anyone know if a Solina string machine was sampled in any of these packs?
If so, I would expect it to be in the Vintage Keys pack but I don't see it there.

You can, however, find one in the "String Machines" section of SonikSynth2 if you have it. And if you don't have SS2 I know where you can get a great deal on a copy... just tell 'em I sent you! :wink:
- madhatter (on esoundz)

Took me a while to knock something together, but here is a piece I threw together from various XT libraries that I bought:

http://www.richardhanson.me.uk/get_mp3. ... nsion_tank

It's entirely Sampletank, effects included, other than a basic low pass filter on the bass line to create more space in the mid range, and an overall limiter to keep things in check.

The sounds are:

Ar PWM from SampleArp
114_nshvlgrv_7_14 from Nashville Pop
Triangle Wv P5 from Omnisynth
Chorus Humvox from Cinematik
Cu2 Soft Flutre from World Instruments
Strat Cln Pulls from Electric Guitars
A Large String Ensemble from the main XT2 library
Celtic Harp 3 from World Instruments
Round Osc Bass from Hip Hop Instruments (playing the main melody)
Home Tape Piano from Piano Collection
Acoustic 12 String from Acoustic Guitars
O12 Vibraphone from Omnisynth
Ghostly Pad from Sample OB
Foundation Pad from Sample OD

birdg735 wrote:
DarkStar wrote: And, talking of browsing, I should mention this again for you mousewheel scrollers:
http://asseca.com/wiki/MGUI/SampleTank25GUI

Agree 100%, and as such gave him my referral for the current IP GB
This looks SO(!) much nicer than the original ST GUI.
Too bad there isn't a mac-version. There isn't, right...?

Best,

V

@rich: Nice, reminds me of 16-Bit-Mega-Drive-Sonic-Games...

Not sure how many folks are still following this thread, but can anyone please tell me the steps involved in creating your own combis in SampleTank? I thought I had it figured out and created a nice combination of six instruments but all I could hear was the first one, so obviously I either did something wrong or left out a step. :shrug:

A "Combi" is just a collection of instruments, which you create by loading instruments into the different Parts of SampleTank. Sounds like you've done that.

Each instrument in a combi responds on its own MIDI channel. If you want to hear more than one of them at once when you hit a note (called "layering"), you'll need to assign several instruments to the same MIDI channel.

This is easy to do in SampleTank, but unfortunately it's completely non-obvious. In the Part list in SampleTank (the large table at the top left), the first column is labelled "Ch." This is the MIDI channel for the instrument. By default, each part is on a different MIDI channel. To change the channel - here's the highly non-obvious part - click on the MIDI channel number and drag up or down. Surprise!

So, for those six instruments you loaded, set them all to (say) MIDI channel 1. Then, when you send notes on channel 1 to SampleTank, all six instruments will sound. Yay!

Note: The "Pan", "Volume", and "Out" columns in the Part list can also be modified by clicking and dragging. So you can position your instruments left-to-right, adjust their relative volumes, and have them output on different SampleTank outputs. That last one is especially powerful even when you're not doing layering, as it allows you to do things like run the different instruments through different effects in your host DAW, and bounce different instruments to separate audio tracks.
Ceej
aka Chris Hillery

Thanks, Ceej. I totally missed the "non-obvious" part. Appreciate the help. :)

Yeah, I did too for some time. For such an important feature, it's awfully subtle.

Here's hoping this is something SampleTank 3 makes more clear!
Ceej
aka Chris Hillery

This thread is already so overloaded, but this is where I got into it so maybe someone can point me on the right trail. Of my 16 XPansions. I've pulled about 10 so far including the 60's motown loops. So whats the workflow you use to build a song with all these loops???

I want to use my own tempo. so I figured out that instead of just hitting the B1 key on a loaded loop, I could just drag a midi file from the file system and drop onto a cubase MIDI track. Set my tempo and hit play. Then that steps thru that loop one note at a time. Isn't there a way to get the midi part thru ST, instead of the file system??

And not all loops have the same sounds, right?
So it generally only makes sense to trigger a loop with its own MIDI, right?

How are these things organized and how do I know which loops would go togther?
Do i need a separate channel for each?
Am I then limted to 16?

Is there an easy way? it seems there are hundreds all over the place. If I can figure this out I may choose some more loops.

jeff_free69 wrote:This thread is already so overloaded, but this is where I got into it so maybe someone can point me on the right trail. Of my 16 XPansions. I've pulled about 10 so far including the 60's motown loops. So whats the workflow you use to build a song with all these loops???
I just re-found this thread:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=236373

Check it out, I think it'll have some useful tips for you.
I want to use my own tempo. so I figured out that instead of just hitting the B1 key on a loaded loop,
FYI, if you click on the "Sync" button in the Master section of SampleTank, the B1 loop will lock to host tempo. The quality of the results will change depending on which synth mode you have selected: click on "Synth" in the Part section, and then select between "resamp", "ps/ts", and the two flavors of "stretch" on the left of the window.
I could just drag a midi file from the file system and drop onto a cubase MIDI track. Set my tempo and hit play. Then that steps thru that loop one note at a time. Isn't there a way to get the midi part thru ST, instead of the file system??
No, the Retank-style loop stuff is something Squids invented on top of the SampleTank platform. It doesn't have built-in support from SampleTank itself, such as generating or giving you direct access to the MIDI version. :shrug:
And not all loops have the same sounds, right?
So it generally only makes sense to trigger a loop with its own MIDI, right?
Not all loops have the same sounds, no. Whether it "makes sense" to use a different MIDI pattern to trigger a loop is kind of up to you, though. Every one of them will just be a chromatic note sequence from C2 through whatever, and so you can diddle the timings as much as you want - that's one of the fun things about Retank. You can even play the notes out of order to re-arrange the loops.
How are these things organized and how do I know which loops would go togther?
Use your ears! :lol: Seriously, how they're organized seems to vary a lot from pack to pack. The "Construction Kit" ones tend to have folders with a bunch of related loops. The drumkit ones, including the Motown one you have, are kind of all over the map, unfortunately, so you'll just have to audition them and see what's what. When you find some groupings that you like together, save them as Combis to find them again later.
Do i need a separate channel for each?
Am I then limted to 16?
Yeah, as far I can tell you are. Well, of course, you can launch another instance of SampleTank for another 16, and another, and another... do remember that SampleTank loads everything into memory, though.
Is there an easy way? it seems there are hundreds all over the place. If I can figure this out I may choose some more loops.
Not much easier than that, I'm afraid. Some of the Construction Kit pack have "Menu Map" programs, which have a bunch of related loops all loaded across the keyboard; they're fun to play with. The downside is that they don't have the corresponding sliced loops available at the same time, so you can't do the MIDI note-level re-arranging. (Well, most of the Construction Kit packs actually have both forms, so you can have the best of both worlds at the cost of yet more memory consumption...) Those tend to be more electronica-esque packs, though.

Also - if you haven't selected all your packs from the Group Buy yet, you'd better get on the stick! It's not clear exactly what the cutoff is to make your selections, but it's probably coming up here at the end of the month, so hurry up!
Ceej
aka Chris Hillery

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”