Drum Masters 2 "How To" Video Manual/Tutorial Requests

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Okay! Here your chance to request videos on how to do various things with the latest Drum Masters 2 and OWD kits from the current Ultimate Studio Drums Bundle as well as the new range of Drum Masters 2 products, EpiK DruMS and others that all use the SAME powerful and flexible new features!

Do you want to know how to custom map to your e-Drum kit using midi learn? Do you want to know how to adjust the tone of a kick drum with envelopes or EQ? Do you want to know how to swap out kit pieces to make an UNLIMITED number of Hybrid Kits? Do you want to know how to set up individual outputs in your DAW? We're going to do an onslaught of video tutorials this year and because the functionality is the same for so many new Drum Kits and Grooves for the Infinite Player, it will be useful tips to apply to a very WIDE range of SR drums you can pick up to add to your collection and use the same knowledge you pick up and apply to them all.

Here's the place to request it and either SR or other users will pitch in and show each other these cool tips and tricks. We're already going to cover the functionality of every page in each kit piece - what each knob and button does etc. A highly requested "Video Manual" to accompany an all new PDF manual in the works. We want to offer you the best help and support possible.

I would love to see a series of tutorials (from you personally) on "finger drumming" starting from how to create basic beats and morphing into full-on funky grooves :hihi:

This could really take off and promote the kits as well!

as mentioned, edrum, esp. hi hats (DTXTREME would be nice :) )
too much is never enough. - gmontano on esoundz.com

i would really like to see how to fine tune round robin, selecting hits from the sample pool if possible.

"Do you want to know how to adjust the tone of a kick drum with envelopes or EQ? " yes I would :) , as well as effective use of the impulse reverbs eg wet dry mix , predelay settings ect.

maybe crash course drum mixing for dummies short and sweet if practical?
Nobody's a nobody...

blueman wrote:I would love to see a series of tutorials (from you personally) on "finger drumming" starting from how to create basic beats and morphing into full-on funky grooves :hihi:

This could really take off and promote the kits as well!
Not only am I going to do this but I am going to record more live jamming like that youtube video I did but this time with sounds direct (not from the lousy video camera mic). We did that in 2 seconds as a test and then it had so many hits... we just left it there. But I always meant to REALLY do what can be done (and heard) with Drum Masters in iMap. Such variety. That is the big difference between it and many other more homogenous collections. DM is a wide range of flavors that all play differently. I can do COMPLETELY different things with a Nick D'Virgilio Gretsch than say a John Blackwell Yamaha Birch kit or the Bonham style kit. So even just watching THAT a bit could give people ideas.

But I will break it down. I did a pretty thorough job showing the map here though: http://www.oceanwaydrums.com/videos.php But, yes, technique of playing a bit as well. I am not a drum teacher though so I don't want to overstep my bounds. I also play mostly by ear and feel... I don't necessarily always know what time signature I'm even in when I go off! It's improvised but felt. I prefer that personally. Just to play "whatever" and then figure out what it WAS later! ;) That's how I play guitar too. I have no idea what I'm playing. But then later I'll sit at the keyboard and say "Oh that was just a minor 9th with a hmmm... or maybe it's a 13th! Or maybe it just sounds really GREAT and has THESE notes in it! haha".

maximilians1 wrote:i would really like to see how to fine tune round robin, selecting hits from the sample pool if possible.

"Do you want to know how to adjust the tone of a kick drum with envelopes or EQ? " yes I would :) , as well as effective use of the impulse reverbs eg wet dry mix , predelay settings ect.

Okay. Also a crash course on crashes too! :D

Because I am personal pals with Ken Scott I can probably even get HIM and some other major producer/engineers to do some cool tips on drum mixing as well. I will tell you a secret. The more popular this gets the more sales will come in which fund going around and doing all sorts of free educational video production and other cool stuff which then helps it become even more popular which then funds the ability for us to do the NEXT one and... it is a cycle. You have all been helping to fuel it in many ways whether you realize that or not. We've been around a long time and Sonic Reality has been doing high end expressive drums longer than most of the drum sample companies today (Interactive Drums came out in 1997!!!! It had iMAP! It also had adjustable snare rattle with the modwheel and drums from Toss Panos and Nick D'Virgilio! - two guys I played in a band with at the time: www.kevingilbert.com ). I LOVE drum samples and while each kit has its thing about it and some are more elaborate than others (but there's PLENTY of variety), they're going in the same direction now. All consolidated into this Infinite Player (Kontakt) format with advanced features for performance and flexibility of manipulating the sound in very cool ways. It's exciting!

Squids wrote:But, yes, technique of playing a bit as well. I am not a drum teacher though so I don't want to overstep my bounds. I also play mostly by ear and feel... I don't necessarily always know what time signature I'm even in when I go off! It's improvised but felt. I prefer that personally. Just to play "whatever" and then figure out what it WAS later! Wink That's how I play guitar too. I have no idea what I'm playing. But then later I'll sit at the keyboard and say "Oh that was just a minor 9th with a hmmm... or maybe it's a 13th! Or maybe it just sounds really GREAT and has THESE notes in it! haha".
That's cool too! Whatever it takes to get the vibe 8)

The tutorial aspect is more about showing people how YOU get there not, following some tired old formula based on how a drummer who can "finger drum" SHOULD be doing it. Booorrrrring! I'd rather see what works for YOU to make it creative and interesting. If it's YOUR invention then it has no protocol or standard requirement. It's more like...this is how I do it folks, etc. etc. I'm always after the energy and vibe that is generated NOT the mechanics. That said... some 1,2,3,4 breakdowns and slowdowns are still needed to get the approach across to the common idiot (that's ME btw) :hihi:

Looking forward to it Dave :D

Squids wrote:
maximilians1 wrote:i would really like to see how to fine tune round robin, selecting hits from the sample pool if possible.

Okay. Also a crash course on crashes too! :D

Because I am personal pals with Ken Scott I can probably even get HIM and some other major producer/engineers to do some cool tips on drum mixing as well. I will tell you a secret. The more popular this gets the more sales will come in which fund going around and doing all sorts of free educational video production and other cool stuff which then helps it become even more popular which then funds the ability for us to do the NEXT one and... it is a cycle. You have all been helping to fuel it in many ways whether you realize that or not. We've been around a long time and Sonic Reality has been doing high end expressive drums longer than most of the drum sample companies today (Interactive Drums came out in 1997!!!! It had iMAP! It also had adjustable snare rattle with the modwheel and drums from Toss Panos and Nick D'Virgilio! - two guys I played in a band with at the time: www.kevingilbert.com ). I LOVE drum samples and while each kit has its thing about it and some are more elaborate than others (but there's PLENTY of variety), they're going in the same direction now. All consolidated into this Infinite Player (Kontakt) format with advanced features for performance and flexibility of manipulating the sound in very cool ways. It's exciting!
He he cool no crashes here yet!
Another idea is working with midi files to create more realistic sounding tracks.
Regarding who is doing the tutorials doesn't really matter to me, I'm really a beginner at this stuff , as long as they are presented well , it makes things a little less intimidating to have someone walking you through steps sharing knowledge, I really like what flstudio has done in that regard.
Nobody's a nobody...

I would like to see a video tutorial on how to set up and map an e-kit hihat. How to map it in custom mode with all articulations from closed to open and how to fine tune envelope.
...but controlling the release of the envelope will make the open have different levels itself
(taken from your post at vdrums forum)
This I really want to see and understand in a video

Rockdude wrote:I would like to see a video tutorial on how to set up and map an e-kit hihat. How to map it in custom mode with all articulations from closed to open and how to fine tune envelope.
...but controlling the release of the envelope will make the open have different levels itself
(taken from your post at vdrums forum)
This I really want to see and understand in a video
+1

[quote="Squids"]Okay! Here your chance to request videos on how to do various things with the latest Drum Masters 2 and OWD kits from the current Ultimate Studio Drums Bundle as well as the new range of Drum Masters 2 products, EpiK DruMS and others that all use the SAME powerful and flexible new features!

Hey Squids, where can we find these video tutorials? Not sure if any of them are completed yet but they could be extremely helpful... anything on how to use OWD kits with midi grooves intended for realistic rock tracks?

thanks

Squids wrote:Okay! Here your chance to request videos on how to do various things with the latest Drum Masters 2 and OWD kits from the current Ultimate Studio Drums Bundle as well as the new range of Drum Masters 2 products, EpiK DruMS and others that all use the SAME powerful and flexible new features!
I've just ordered EpiK DrumS, so I am particularly interested in figuring out the most efficient workflow for working with the MT grooves in combination with the MT kits.

I also have a bunch of MT grooves that go with my Drum Masters collection, which I have never put to good use, because I never figured out an efficient way to harness the MT loops together with the kits. I believe you introduced some new scripting into the Drum Masters 2 kits to make this process easier, but I don't yet know how that works.

Videos on this topic would be most appreciated... or perhaps this is already covered in a DM2 or EpiK DrumS manual?

Can't wait to start playing with the new kits!! :love:
Somewhere in the background zedd

zedd wrote:I also have a bunch of MT grooves that go with my Drum Masters collection, which I have never put to good use, because I never figured out an efficient way to harness the MT loops together with the kits.
I would also be interested to see this done by someone who really can, for the same reason.

Rockdude wrote:I would like to see a video tutorial on how to set up and map an e-kit hihat. How to map it in custom mode with all articulations from closed to open and how to fine tune envelope.
+1, and please explain any differences which may apply for DTXtreme III module (I'm assuming your default is TD20).

Thank you Squids for being so responsive to the community!!!

Jus11 wrote:
zedd wrote:I also have a bunch of MT grooves that go with my Drum Masters collection, which I have never put to good use, because I never figured out an efficient way to harness the MT loops together with the kits.
I would also be interested to see this done by someone who really can, for the same reason.
yes, it would also be great to know how to use grooves and ezplayer pro with the drum masters collection in pro tools.

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”