Drum Masters & OWD Community Support Thread

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Squids wrote:
Really? That's bizarre. We'll look into it and see why that is.
It may of course be that I'm doing something wrong.

Just wanted to ask if anyone has RE-downloaded the whole GB? I did and for some reason I still had to apply the skins folder and a few other things!! Is the dvd still available? Thanks!!!

jarrydee wrote:Just wanted to ask if anyone has RE-downloaded the whole GB? I did and for some reason I still had to apply the skins folder and a few other things!! Is the dvd still available? Thanks!!!
Yes, the DVD is still avaliable. $50.00
Squids wrote:You would then purchase this for the original first Bundle's DVD option (which includes 4 Multitrack Kits + 1 Jazz STm kit) http://www.esoundz.com/details.php?Prod ... =KVRUSD103

Squids wrote:When we do the Global Patch Update 3 with the V-Drum hi hat (which will be ready next week!) we'll sweep through and check output settings like that and just do it for you.
Has the patch with the hi hat tweaks been released?

Still just scratching the drum heads of this first set. They are awesome! :D

While arranging a part I noticed a ringing sound on the edge articulation of the snare (IMap E2) of the OWD 4 ambient kit. Actually, I am using the Oceanic Biggosity multi, in case that matters. The ringing is in the 1200-1300 Hz range. A narrow notch on the 3 band eq in kontact kills it. Has anyone else noticed this :?:

paradidl wrote:
Squids wrote:When we do the Global Patch Update 3 with the V-Drum hi hat (which will be ready next week!) we'll sweep through and check output settings like that and just do it for you.
Has the patch with the hi hat tweaks been released?
I was wondering the same thing...I am thinking about getting the 2nd GB but I think there are problems with that also, not really sure though!

jarrydee wrote:I was wondering the same thing...I am thinking about getting the 2nd GB but I think there are problems with that also, not really sure though!
I'm in the same boat. At this point I am only using drum sounds from SR. I have to continue to use Superior Drummer for cymbals to get realistic hi hat response and cymbal chokes. This is my live setup, so I have to load both VSTs in my host simultaneously to get the desired sounds.

I'm interested in the current GB and also the Neil Peart kit, and I'm really anxious to go 100% SR, but I am going to hold off further SR purchases until this issue is resolved.

Well, as I've said, the hi hat has a whole new script to handle that. The cymbal chokes, nothing for that in Kontakt at the moment. Does any other Kontakt drum kit have cymbal chokes?

Anyway, the hold up today had more to do with how our hi hat controller was acting today. A factory reset and readjustment of the hat did the trick. Plus a few tweaks to velocity and some other minor things. We're back on track with the Global Patch Update and you can try it for yourself. But you do have to make sure your hi hat is set up optimally because it just sends all kinds of messages out otherwise - different notes, different CC4 values... when set up just right it works like a charm.

Squids wrote:...you do have to make sure your hi hat is set up optimally because it just sends all kinds of messages out otherwise - different notes, different CC4 values... when set up just right it works like a charm.
Thanks Squids. Will you please publish your TD-20 Hi Hat settings for us to use as a starting point? Specifically:

TRIGGER->BASIC->HI-HAT
Trig Type =
Sensitivity =
Threshold =
Curve =

TRIGGER->HI-HAT
Offset =
Foot Splash Sens =
Noise Cancel =

INST->CONTROL->MIDI
Note # (Head) =
Note # (Rim) =
Gate Time (Head) =
Gate Time (Rim) =

INST->CONTROL->HH MIDI
Open (Bow) =
Closed (Bow) =
Open (Edge) =
Closed (Edge) =
Pedal =

SETUP->MIDI->CONTROL
Pedal CC# =
HH Note # Border =

Thanks in advance!

Squids wrote:The cymbal chokes, nothing for that in Kontakt at the moment. Does any other Kontakt drum kit have cymbal chokes?
Actually, the Abbey Road '60s Drums (which you know I had to buy) does have cymbal chokes: One each for Ride, Sizzle Ride, High Crash and Low Crash. I'm not sure how they have implimented it.

I did send them a long e-mail after the release of Abbey Road Drums stressing that they need to have mapping modes which included iMap. I see that they have incorporated iMap mapping into their '70s Drums. Not sure if I can take credit for that, but I was glad to see it added. :-)
Somewhere in the background zedd

Squids wrote:...you do have to make sure your hi hat is set up optimally because it just sends all kinds of messages out otherwise - different notes, different CC4 values... when set up just right it works like a charm.
Thanks Squids. Will you please publish your TD-20 Hi Hat settings for us to use as a starting point? Specifically:

TRIGGER->BASIC->HI-HAT
Trig Type = VH12
Sensitivity = 13
Threshold = 5
Curve = LINEAR

TRIGGER->HI-HAT
Offset = -53 (but that is just what I did now to tweak it to my liking)
Foot Splash Sens = 0 (I messed with this but... not sure)
Noise Cancel = 2

INST->CONTROL->MIDI - Factory Setting
Note # (Head) =
Note # (Rim) =
Gate Time (Head) =
Gate Time (Rim) =

INST->CONTROL->HH MIDI - Factory Setting
Open (Bow) =
Closed (Bow) =
Open (Edge) =
Closed (Edge) =
Pedal =

SETUP->MIDI->CONTROL
Pedal CC# = Foot (4)
HH Note # Border = 90

---------

It isn't that I wouldn't tweak it from there. But the ones that seem to matter the most are HH Note # border and the Offset.

The HH Note Border determines where in the CC4 it is going to trigger the open hi hat note. What we've done is on that open hi hat note we have a mid open to full open that has its OWN border inside the "Settings" of the new script (on the mapping page of the interface of our hat). When you click that you get that Mid/Open additional note border you can choose AND you get an envelope range for each of the articulations (closed and edge are one, mid is another and open/open edge is the third). Each of those has a range of decay in milliseconds... you don't HAVE to adjust this but if one wanted to be a tweakhead they COULD and have some nice control options. Like I said, pretty powerful.

I like that it can be for someone who is advanced and yet also for someone who wants to just play... just a little fiddling with the VDrum hat is sometimes required because your settings also depend on how the hat itself is set up. I found that it is best of the VH12 top and bottom don't touch until you clamp down... unlike some real hi hats where it is nice sometimes to have them closer. You just can do that with the V-drum VH12 or it gets wacky. In fact, if you hear the foot choking itself (or choking on its own vomit) then chances are the top and bottom are touching and if you adjust it then it won't send out conflicting note numbers. I haven't mess with crosstalk though but... there are a lot of settings to mess with in the TD20. I find that most of the best results are from setting the physical hi hat itself up just right.

Hope that helps... who else gives you tech support at 1 am??? Haha. Jk. I think I may hit the sack soon though. The second shift has come in to take care of putting this Global Patch Update #3 in everyone's user are from the first group buy... 80 VDrum kits or whatever it is all udpated with new hi hat scripts. WHEW! Thanks for bearing with us! Hope you like it!

zedd wrote:
Squids wrote:The cymbal chokes, nothing for that in Kontakt at the moment. Does any other Kontakt drum kit have cymbal chokes?
Actually, the Abbey Road '60s Drums (which you know I had to buy) does have cymbal chokes: One each for Ride, Sizzle Ride, High Crash and Low Crash. I'm not sure how they have implimented it.

I did send them a long e-mail after the release of Abbey Road Drums stressing that they need to have mapping modes which included iMap. I see that they have incorporated iMap mapping into their '70s Drums. Not sure if I can take credit for that, but I was glad to see it added. :-)
There might be some tricks that can be done in Kontakt 4. We've held off diving into that too far because we wanted to still support our Power PC friends who need to still use 3.5 However, the next generation of stuff from us IS going to have to be on K4 and not backwards compatible so... if that has chokes then that is a good sign. We'll look into it. I am certainly not opposed to it. It is just that V-Drums sending AFTERTOUCH for it is an odd controller because it doesn't just go one way.

Anyway, yes I knew you'd get that. We were actually the ones who originally were going to do the Abbey Road stuff with the studio. But, as things happen, the two people I was working with left or were let go. Oh well. The things that happen behind the scenes that no one ever knows about. We still have some amazing recordings that were done at Abbey Road though by one of my associates and it involves some other surprises but... I will have to keep quiet for a change until it is closer to release. ;) Plus it is fun to tease. :D

Squids wrote:We were actually the ones who originally were going to do the Abbey Road stuff with the studio. But, as things happen, the two people I was working with left or were let go. Oh well. The things that happen behind the scenes that no one ever knows about.
That's a shame. I would be enjoying them even more if you had been involved.

You will be happy to know that I made my own custom instruments from the collection, separating each kit piece into its own instrument (and in iMap format) so that I could mix and match them with my Drum Masters kit pieces and Ultimate Studio Drums.
Squids wrote:We still have some amazing recordings that were done at Abbey Road though by one of my associates and it involves some other surprises but... I will have to keep quiet for a change until it is closer to release. ;) Plus it is fun to tease. :D
But that's good news. You know I will be one of the first to pull out my PayPal wallet. :)
Somewhere in the background zedd

Has the patch with the hi hat tweaks really been released? I don't see it.

Cheers,
Gordon

Beardedone wrote:Has the patch with the hi hat tweaks really been released? I don't see it.

Cheers,
Gordon
Yes! It's called USD1 Global Patch Update 3. If it isn't in your user area ask Allen.

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”