GROUP BUY: Ocean Way & Drum Masters Ultimate Studio Drum Bundle!

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jus11 wrote:
zedd wrote:
Jus11 wrote:Currently I'm thinking about opening another instance of Kontakt on a different PT track, copying the (snare) midi on that track, opening the snare I want in this new instance of Kontakt, and routing it out to another set of tracks in PT... Is this the easiest way?
Gosh no! Just delete the snare drum instrument in the kit that you loaded, and load another snare instrument. As long as it has the same MIDI channel it will take the place of the previous snare (whether it is MT or STm). If you save a bunch of your favorite snare sounds to a particular folder, you can load one of them as I just described and then use the arrow keys at the top of the kit piece GUI to automatically audition each of the other snares in your folder.

Kontakt seems a little complicated when you first start out, but once you get the hang of things it will start to seem pretty simple. :-)
Thanks, Zedd. However, the problem is with output routing. Input midi channel is the same and thus ok. The midi files play every snare I load. But the output routings between STm kits, multitrack kits and OWD multikits differ significantly. How do you cope with these changes?

I mean a situation when you have Kontakt mixer channel outputs as inputs to different tracks in Pro Tools. For example, snare main outs with multitrack snares are the top and the bottom; with STm snares, there's only one. There's also such problems with room outputs etc.

(I could explain this in a more detailed way by referring to the named output channels in Infinite Player Drum Masters STm / IP DM multirack / OWD Silver, yet at the moment I'm not on that computer... sorry)
So... I guess opening another instance of Kontakt & another set of output tracks in the DAW is the most reasonable way of doing this?

Yes, different instances of Kontakt is the best way around that.

... more about this upcoming "Sequel" group buy bundle II!

The strength of this sequel is the variety and artist-flavored kits to add to what people got in the first Ultimate Studio Drums bundle. So, you'll have some kits from Jerry Marotta which are unique and good for "World Music" and Rock/Pop (well, Jerry played with Peter Gabriel so it has that sort of sound). Then there's Danny Gottlieb's DW kit (original drummer for Pat Metheny) and a few kits from Ed Greene who played on the album "Aja" by Steely Dan as well as The Nightfly by Donald Fagen. He used to be my next door neighbor when I had a house in Eagle Rock with Kevin Gilbert (an artist I used to play with from the band Toy Matinee - for those that know).

Then, speaking of KG, there's more Nick D'Virgilio of the progrock band Spock's Beard (and also former bandmate of mine). If you liked the Mapex Blasticks kit, this "Sequel" has that same kit but played with regular sticks. GREAT sounding kit! More John Blackwell kits in this and there's even Steve Gadd and Bill Bruford kits in it. Also a kit in the style of Ringo (an old Downbeat Keystone Badge 60's Oyster Pearl Ludwig set) and another cool Bonham-style kit - this time played with HANDS like the song Moby Dick.

There's definitely some cool things to compliment the other collection OR one could get it on its own (but they'd need the Infinite Player which they can get separately). The convolution impulses in this next one are even more diverse than the first one and double the amount (100 of them in this one). Also over 1,000 midi grooves included too... I think we'll be ready to go with it on Monday or Tuesday. I wanted to start it this week but we couldn't get it ready in time. This time I want to deliver the sounds as soon as the group buy hits the lowest price so people can start downloading earlier - or they can choose the DVD option.

I posted this on Gearslutz but wouldn't want to leave any Squids-story-reading KVRians out of the loop so here it is:

In 1994 we rented this weird house in Eagle Rock we used to call "The Castle" because it had stain glass windows and there was even a THRONE in the entrance way. Really bizarre. It was an estate and in the back "guest house" lived Ed Greene (the drummer who we eventually sampled for Drum Masters - but I didn't really know him then when he was my neighbor! I knew he released a drum sample library "CD" with Big Fish though... I hadn't yet started Sonic Reality, but had been doing sampling for Alesis, Roland and others at that time).

I didn't hang much IN Eagle Rock though. The studio we rehearsed and recorded at was in Pasadena. It was called "Lawnmower & Garden Supplies" studio and owned by Kevin Gilbert. He just kept the name that was on the outside of the building - it used to be that. But he had it built into a really great sounding studio with a drum room measured to the same spec as the famous Townhouse Studio's live room - a studio in London that now no longer exists but where Hugh Padgham recorded some legendary drum sounds with Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins among others.

I used to play in a band with Kevin and Nick D'Virgilio - another drummer who is in the Drum Masters series (he also played with Jonatha Brooke, Tears for Fears, Genesis - on the album without Phil, Peter Gabriel on some Prince Trust Concert and with his own band "Spock's Beard" which is Progrock... I think he also played with Jennifer Love Hewitt or various gigs like that... a friend of mine played with Tina Yothers... I don't know if that stuff is even worth mentioning... no offense to those actresses but who bought those albums??? haha. I can't IMAGINE sitting down and listening to a Jennifer Love Hewitt album... as pretty as she may be.). That was a tangent runaway parenthesis. Anyway, the "NDV" kits were sampled/recorded years later at that studio (now called just "Mower"). Well, just the Premier and Gretsch. The Mapex kit was recorded in Nashville in an even more ambient room.

But, getting back to "Mower"... this studio has an interesting history. Kevin worked with producer/engineer Bill Botrell a lot and they did a bunch of records partially done at Mower. Linda Perry, Sheryl Crow (I actually played on a Sheryl Crow track with Kevin years ago - a cover of the song "The Joker" by SMB) and I believe some Michael Jackson tracks from Dangerous and also Madonna from the Dick Tracy soundtrack and of course Kevin's own stuff which you can check out http://www.kevingilbert.com (Sadly Kevin passed away at age 30, but his music lives on... they just released a live show we played at The Troubadour on DVD but I think they sold out already).

So, after Kevin the studio exchanged hands and for a while belonged to Jason (forget his last name) the musical director for Kelly Clarkson and also Kevin Walt from M-Audio. That's when we recorded Nick for Drum Masters because I was at M-Audio for a business meeting and Kevin started asking me questions about who recorded at "Mower" and told me he now had it... so I immediately said "Can I book it tomorrow?"

Then later I believe that same studio belonged to Joe Barresi! I've never met him. As some of you may know he did a BFD library with Platinum Samples (I don't think he sampled it there though). Now I am not sure who owns it or if it is still running. Great place though. A lot of memories.

A little Squids story once in a while doesn't hurt anybody. ;) A little background on one of the places where Drum Masters kits were sampled.

Squids wrote:... more about this upcoming "Sequel" group buy bundle II!

The strength of this sequel is the variety and artist-flavored kits to add to what people got in the first Ultimate Studio Drums bundle. So, you'll have some kits from Jerry Marotta which are unique and good for "World Music" and Rock/Pop (well, Jerry played with Peter Gabriel so it has that sort of sound). Then there's Danny Gottlieb's DW kit (original drummer for Pat Metheny) and a few kits from Ed Greene who played on the album "Aja" by Steely Dan as well as The Nightfly by Donald Fagen. He used to be my next door neighbor when I had a house in Eagle Rock with Kevin Gilbert (an artist I used to play with from the band Toy Matinee - for those that know).

Then, speaking of KG, there's more Nick D'Virgilio of the progrock band Spock's Beard (and also former bandmate of mine). If you liked the Mapex Blasticks kit, this "Sequel" has that same kit but played with regular sticks. GREAT sounding kit! More John Blackwell kits in this and there's even Steve Gadd and Bill Bruford kits in it. Also a kit in the style of Ringo (an old Downbeat Keystone Badge 60's Oyster Pearl Ludwig set) and another cool Bonham-style kit - this time played with HANDS like the song Moby Dick.

There's definitely some cool things to compliment the other collection OR one could get it on its own (but they'd need the Infinite Player which they can get separately). The convolution impulses in this next one are even more diverse than the first one and double the amount (100 of them in this one). Also over 1,000 midi grooves included too... I think we'll be ready to go with it on Monday or Tuesday. I wanted to start it this week but we couldn't get it ready in time. This time I want to deliver the sounds as soon as the group buy hits the lowest price so people can start downloading earlier - or they can choose the DVD option.

another group buy ???? :cry: :cry: :bang: don't think i can afford......will the price structure be the same ??? can i put my epointz towards it ???

Similar price and cheaper than it normally is plus extra exclusive bonuses.

epointz cannot be used on Group Buys but they can be earned when joining and doing a referral.

Squids wrote:plus extra exclusive bonuses.
i know....you can't help yourself, huh ?? :D

After rearranging, Squids more or less wrote:... more about this upcoming "Sequel" group buy bundle II!

... some kits from Jerry Marotta which are unique and good for "World Music" and Rock/Pop
... then there's Danny Gottlieb's DW kit (original drummer for Pat Metheny)
... and a few kits from Ed Greene
... there's more Nick D'Virgilio Mapex kit, but played with regular sticks.
... more John Blackwell kits in this
... there's even Steve Gadd and Bill Bruford kits
... also a kit in the style of Ringo (an old Downbeat Keystone Badge 60's Oyster Pearl Ludwig set)
... and another cool Bonham-style kit - this time played with HANDS like the song Moby Dick.
Squids,

For the hard of thinking: how do these kits / patches relate to the kits / patches from the same drummers in the original Drum Masters? (Should that be "Drum Masters 1"?)
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:
After rearranging, Squids more or less wrote:... more about this upcoming "Sequel" group buy bundle II!

... some kits from Jerry Marotta which are unique and good for "World Music" and Rock/Pop
... then there's Danny Gottlieb's DW kit (original drummer for Pat Metheny)
... and a few kits from Ed Greene
... there's more Nick D'Virgilio Mapex kit, but played with regular sticks.
... more John Blackwell kits in this
... there's even Bill Bruford kits
... also a kit in the style of Ringo (an old Downbeat Keystone Badge 60's Oyster Pearl Ludwig set)
... and another cool Bonham-style kit - this time played with HANDS like the song Moby Dick.
Squids,

For the hard of thinking: how do these kits / patches relate to the kits / patches from the same drummers in the original Drum Masters? (Should that be "Drum Masters 1"?)
They are the updated Stereo kits from Drum Masters 1. Yes, if someone already owns Drum Masters 1 Silver, Gold or Platinum then this Sequel has some overlap. But, actually, for the price it might be worth it for the new material alone. The material not previously released includes:

Bill Bruford kit (we never actually released his kit samples, just audio grooves)

Bonham-style "Hands" Kit - never released and really cool/fun.

Stewart Copeland Signature Snare/Tama kit with Octobans
Dave Weckl Signature Yamaha Snare
Dennis Chambers Signature Pearl Snare

RingBeat (Ringo-style) STm kit (never released as stereo before)
Soul Kit (same thing - never released as stereo let alone STm)
Classic Rock & British Rock kits have also not been released before as stereo so it is nice to have those as STm - plus these style kits were never included with the regular Silver, Gold or Platinum Drum Masters 1 collections. But they were included as a la carte MT versions in a past Group Buy (or individual downloads on www.downloadablesoundz.com in the instrumens section).

There's a "Progressive Roto" kit with Low Roto toms never before released that is sweet as well as more Timbale kits (with Timbalitos too).

There's a Big Band Jazz kit that hasn't been released as stereo or MT before. This is different than the Ludwig Jazz kit.

There's some Drum Doctors snares recorded at previously mentioned "Mower" studio which compliment the NDV kits with other options... an RGC and RGS snare but also a nice Ludwig Black Beauty recorded there too. All previously unreleased.

In fact, only about 9 out of the 25+ Drum Masters kits of the sequel have previously released samples from version 1 with updated scripts. So, while the people that own those 9 which are these:

NDV STm Mapx Kit Stick
NDV Roto STm Kit
NDV Timbale STm Kit
Jerry Marotta STm Kit Yam
Jerry Marotta STm Kit Brush
Ed Greene STm Kit 1
Ed Greene STm Kit 2
Danny Gottlieb STm Kit
John Blackwell Yam STm Stick

can get a FREE update to the new Drum Masters version 2 patches (all stereo kits from Drum Masters 1 WILL have their free updates THIS month for sure... Multitrack updates are taking longer). Still, this Group Buy might be worth it for everything ELSE that hasn't been released before as stereo or STm which is this and more:

Bill Bruford STm Kit
Progressive Roto STm Kit
Hot Timbale STm Kit
RingBeat STm Kit
Retro Soul STm Kit
Classic Rock STm Kit
British Rock STm Kit
Bonzo Hand STm Kit
Big Band Jazz STm Kit
Coplnd Octabon STm Kit
Weck Yam STm Kit
Chamber STm Kit
Drum Doc RGS STm Kit 1
Drum Doc RGC STm Kit 2
Mower Black Beauty STm Kit

But what will REALLY make this special is that not only will the Sequel have another 25 Hybrid Kits that mix and match the above but if just 200 people are reached (1/4 of the level the first one got to) then everyone who bought Ultimate Studio Bundle 1 AND this Bundle 2 will get a stellar 50 more Hybrid kits that mix and match between BOTH bundles... and these are some of the best sounding kits ever because they really cherry pick amongst a diverse variety. Some of my personal favorite combinations of OWD and Drum Masters kit pieces... mixing and matching NDV Collins-style with Jerry Marotta Gabriel-style or Bonham with Ringo-style and a fusion of really good combinations as long as that reasonable goal is reached which I think can be accomplished if everyone gets into it.

On top of this there will be 50 more Convolution Studio Ambience Impulses but 25 more and 25 more depending on the number of people. In the end you could end up with over 200 different impulses which is quite a collection of ambience to play with. While we can't name the studios we have some from studios that are no longer around but classic records (and film soundtracks) have been recorded plus some really rare ambience from famous artist's private studios and more.

If that wasn't enough there will be over 1,000 IMAP and GM midi grooves this time also included and no waiting once the lowest price is reached! Download away at the end. It should be a LOT smoother this time.

I hope that sounds like fun!
Last edited by Squids on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Squids wrote:In fact, only about 9 out of the 25+ Drum Masters kits of the sequel have previously released samples from version 1 with updated scripts. So, while the people that own those 9...
I thought you mentioned a few days ago that there would be another offer for those of us who did already have Drum Masters? Given than we already have a third of this collection, it would be nice if our GB joining price that was 30% less expensive (which would be my first preference), or if we got a rebate in ePointz, or something... or maybe a few bonus kits that no one else gets... like those extra snares or hi-hat party packs.

That would be good. :-)
Somewhere in the background zedd

zedd wrote:
Squids wrote:In fact, only about 9 out of the 25+ Drum Masters kits of the sequel have previously released samples from version 1 with updated scripts. So, while the people that own those 9...
I thought you mentioned a few days ago that there would be another offer for those of us who did already have Drum Masters? Given than we already have a third of this collection, it would be nice if our GB joining price that was 30% less expensive (which would be my first preference), or if we got a rebate in ePointz, or something... or maybe a few bonus kits that no one else gets... like those extra snares or hi-hat party packs.

That would be good. :-)
We want to keep it simpler than the last group buy in terms of options and stipulations. But, with that said we'll come up with various ways to reward past Drum Masters 1 users who want to get this... even though it will be worth the price just for the additional previously unreleased material since it would cost more to get that at regular price. But still... we're all about rewarding past supporters every chance we get as long as it doesn't complicate things. I'll let you know what we come up with.

Squids wrote:But, with that said we'll come up with various ways to reward past Drum Masters 1 users who want to get this...
And I absolutely knew that you would. I only wrote what I wrote in order to expedite the details. ;-)

Eager as always!
Somewhere in the background zedd

Some fun trivial Squidstories - some of which you may have read before in various forms but there's always something new added... and always something that I've not shared before like working on a Milla Jovavich album... and dating the star of the movie SAW. There's a lot you guys don't know. But if you truly enjoy my off topic rants about living in LA then here you go: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-co ... ost5106136

Every once in a while... like when I am saving patches in the background in Kontakt... I'll go off and tell some crazy story. Sometimes I am in that kind of mood to remember that sort of stuff. It's shameless name dropping but since it is highly unusual I think some find it entertaining and it is always very unlikely combinations of things. Like working on a rap song in the studio with Mickey Rourke. How odd is that? Or giving Lawrence Fishburn advice on what to order at "Sushi On Sunset" (this marginal restaurant on Sunset Blvd that is open late and your last resort if you really want sushi in that town and it's after hours). Morpheus gets sushi advice from Squids! (I told him to take the Red Pill Roll... just kidding, this was before The Matrix). I've got stories! All true and unusual.

Mapex Blast Kit sample from my next album :)
http://www.nalbantov.com/masters/DimiNe ... ex_Kit.mp3

Squids wrote:
DarkStar wrote:Squids,

For the hard of thinking: how do these Sequel kits / patches relate to the kits / patches from the same drummers in the original Drum Masters? (Should that be "Drum Masters 1"?)
They are the updated Stereo kits from Drum Masters 1. Yes, if someone already owns Drum Masters 1 Silver, Gold or Platinum then this Sequel has some overlap. But, actually, for the price it might be worth it for the new material alone. The material not previously released includes:

Bill Bruford kit (we never actually released his kit samples, just audio grooves)

Bonham-style "Hands" Kit - never released and really cool/fun.

Stewart Copeland Signature Snare/Tama kit with Octobans
Dave Weckl Signature Yamaha Snare
Dennis Chambers Signature Pearl Snare

RingBeat (Ringo-style) STm kit (never released as stereo before)
Soul Kit (same thing - never released as stereo let alone STm)
Classic Rock & British Rock kits have also not been released before as stereo so it is nice to have those as STm - plus these style kits were never included with the regular Silver, Gold or Platinum Drum Masters 1 collections. But they were included as a la carte MT versions in a past Group Buy (or individual downloads on www.downloadablesoundz.com in the instrumens section).

There's a "Progressive Roto" kit with Low Roto toms never before released that is sweet as well as more Timbale kits (with Timbalitos too).

There's a Big Band Jazz kit that hasn't been released as stereo or MT before. This is different than the Ludwig Jazz kit.

There's some Drum Doctors snares recorded at previously mentioned "Mower" studio which compliment the NDV kits with other options... an RGC and RGS snare but also a nice Ludwig Black Beauty recorded there too. All previously unreleased.

In fact, only about 9 out of the 25+ Drum Masters kits of the sequel have previously released samples from version 1 with updated scripts. So, while the people that own those 9 which are these:

NDV STm Mapx Kit Stick
NDV Roto STm Kit
NDV Timbale STm Kit
Jerry Marotta STm Kit Yam
Jerry Marotta STm Kit Brush
Ed Greene STm Kit 1
Ed Greene STm Kit 2
Danny Gottlieb STm Kit
John Blackwell Yam STm Stick

can get a FREE update to the new Drum Masters version 2 patches (all stereo kits from Drum Masters 1 WILL have their free updates THIS month for sure... Multitrack updates are taking longer). Still, this Group Buy might be worth it for everything ELSE that hasn't been released before as stereo or STm which is this and more:

Bill Bruford STm Kit
Progressive Roto STm Kit
Hot Timbale STm Kit
RingBeat STm Kit
Retro Soul STm Kit
Classic Rock STm Kit
British Rock STm Kit
Bonzo Hand STm Kit
Big Band Jazz STm Kit
Coplnd Octabon STm Kit
Weck Yam STm Kit
Chamber STm Kit
Drum Doc RGS STm Kit 1
Drum Doc RGC STm Kit 2
Mower Black Beauty STm Kit

But what will REALLY make this special is that not only will the Sequel have another 25 Hybrid Kits that mix and match the above but if just 200 people are reached (1/4 of the level the first one got to) then everyone who bought Ultimate Studio Bundle 1 AND this Bundle 2 will get a stellar 50 more Hybrid kits that mix and match between BOTH bundles... and these are some of the best sounding kits ever because they really cherry pick amongst a diverse variety. Some of my personal favorite combinations of OWD and Drum Masters kit pieces... mixing and matching NDV Collins-style with Jerry Marotta Gabriel-style or Bonham with Ringo-style and a fusion of really good combinations as long as that reasonable goal is reached which I think can be accomplished if everyone gets into it.

On top of this there will be 50 more Convolution Studio Ambience Impulses but 25 more and 25 more depending on the number of people. In the end you could end up with over 200 different impulses which is quite a collection of ambience to play with. While we can't name the studios we have some from studios that are no longer around but classic records (and film soundtracks) have been recorded plus some really rare ambience from famous artist's private studios and more.

If that wasn't enough there will be over 1,000 IMAP and GM midi grooves this time also included and no waiting once the lowest price is reached! Download away at the end. It should be a LOT smoother this time.

I hope that sounds like fun!
Phew! Thank you Squids. It sure does sound like fun and well worth getting by DM1 owners. There's a load of new drums there, and convolution impulses and hybrids up the wazoo.

Better go and buy another external disk :)
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”