Infinite Player Tips and Tricks #2

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Operation tips:
-- select an Instrument by clicking on the meters or on any parameter name (e.g. Output: or Voices: )
-- rearrange the Instrument by dragging the selected one up or down
-- hide / display the Instrument controls by clicking the "New" icon to the left
-- minimise the Instrument slot by clicking the [-] button to the right of the level meters
-- restore the Instrument slot by clicking the [+] button to the right of the level meters
-- remove an Instrument from the rack by clicking the [x] button to the right of the level meters
-- Ctrl+click (Cmd+click) a control to return it to its default value

Installation tips:
-- when you install a new IP product, make a ZIPped archive of the Instruments and Multis, just in case you accidentally overwrite any of them.
-- backup your default output configurations too:
  • for Kontakt Player 2, here they are in C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt Player 2\default,
  • for Kontakt 3.0.xx, here they are in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt 3\default,
  • for Kontakt 3.5.xx, here they are in C:\Documents and Settings\<<user name>>\Local Settings\Application Data\Native Instruments\Kontakt 3\default
-- after you have installed all you want, it might be an idea to shorten some of the folder path names for easier browsing; as an example:
from: \Instruments\Drum Masters Stereo\Stereo Drum Kits\Danny Gottlieb ST Drum Kit
to: \Instruments\Drum Masters Stereo\Kits\Danny Gottlieb

Moving the IP library:
(thanks to zedd)
DarkStar wrote:I would like to move my Infinite Player Library folder to a different disk:
-- what do I need to do?
-- can I just copy the folders and files?
-- how do I tell IP where the library is now?
-- will future library installs go into the new folders?

It's currently here:
D:\Sample Libraries\Sonic Reality\Infinite Player
zedd wrote:It is easy to do... I did that as well.

Just copy the whole IP library to a new location. The next time you open Infinite Player click on the Info button right beside the Multis pull down menu. At the bottom of all the tabs you will see an area where you can choose the "Library Installation Path"... Just select the new "Infinite Player" folder at the location you have copied it to.

Once you have done that, IP should be working with the data in your new location.

BUT... one more thing, you also have to tell the Infinite Library Installer about the new location, or it will install all of your new ZIPS to the old location. In order to do this, you need to interupt the path to the old library. You can delete it eventually, but if you want to save it for a bit, I would rename the folder and maybe put it in a new subfolder or on a different level. Then the next time you launch Infinite Library Installer it will ask you to locate the new Infinite Player folder.

And then you're all set! :-)
Last edited by DarkStar on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

zedd wrote:Just copy the whole IP library to a new location. The next time you open Infinite Player click on the Info button right beside the Multis pull down menu. At the bottom of all the tabs you will see an area where you can choose the "Library Installation Path"... Just select the new "Infinite Player" folder at the location you have copied it to.

Once you have done that, IP should be working with the data in your new location.

BUT... one more thing, you also have to tell the Infinite Library Installer about the new location, or it will install all of your new ZIPS to the old location. In order to do this, you need to interupt the path to the old library. You can delete it eventually, but if you want to save it for a bit, I would rename the folder and maybe put it in a new subfolder or on a different level. Then the next time you launch Infinite Library Installer it will ask you to locate the new Infinite Player folder.
I was thinking about my response to this, and think I may have added an unnecessary step.

After copying the library to a new location, if you jump straight to the last step, and just interupt the path to the old location (by moving the IP folder into a different subfolder or even by putting it in the trash), I suspect that both applications KontaktPlayer2 (IP) and Infinite Player Installer will probably ask you to find the new location of the library when you launch them... thus saving you the step of having to manually change any setting inside IP.
Somewhere in the background zedd

IP Stereo Kits: Configuring Multiple Outputs
These kits have several kit pieces (instruments), 10-13 in the ones I've looked at. Each piece has its own IP mixer channel and all are sent to the first pair of stereo outputs (st.1).

You might like to send them to separate outputs so that you can apply separate FX in your host and mix them separately. These are the steps:
-- start with an empty Infinite Player,
-- create the IP mixer channels that you want, you may find it easier to load the "Output Multi" as a starting-point,
-- configure (click [Conf.] in the IP mixer) them, enter the track name and select the output channels (the output names in the list will be those of the default configuration - don't worry); the outputs should go from "plugin out #1" to "plugin out #32",
-- save that Multi with a meaningful name, so you can reuse it later (click [Load/Save] >> Save multi, at the top of IP),
-- load the IP ST kit that you want, clicking [No] to merge in the new instruments, keeping the Mixer channels,

-- for each kit piece in the Rack:
a) route the Output to the desired IP mixer channel,
b) (if needed,) select the desired MIDI channel,
-- save this Multi, probalby in the same folder as the kit you loaded with a meaningful name, such as "NDV ST Grtsch Kit_13.nkm"

Finally to use all these ouptuts, connect them in your host:
in energyXT1:
-- right-click the KontaktPlayer2 name in the Mixer, select Outputs,
-- for each Audio Out, select Master Out 1,
-- additional mixer sections will be added to the Mixer.

Big pic:
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8648/dsipstkitext.png

in Reaper 2:
-- in the FX chain window, select KontaktPlayer2,
- click [Options] and select "Build multichannel routing output for selected FX",
-- click [OK] on the pop-up configuration window,
-- 16 output tracks will be added to the Arrange view and to the Mixer.

Big pic:
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/5082/dsipstkit.png
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/7439 ... kitr2b.png
Last edited by DarkStar on Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Inspired by ...

... copied from the Tips & Tricks #1 thread, to consolidate things

IP Multitrack Kits: multi-channel routing

To make full use of the multi-channel character of the IP products you'll need to set up the routing in IP and in your host. Here is a step-by-step guide to setting this up (in Reaper 2).

a) Load Infinite Player (the full 32 output version) onto a track
b) Open IP, select and load the Sonic Reality Output Multi.nkm. This creates 20 tracks in the IP Mixer and names them suitably (KIK, HAT, RM1 etc). If you cannot see the IP mixer, click on [Output] at the top of IP. At this stage the first 16 tracks are routed to the first two outputs from IP. The last 4 tracks ("Auxiliary") are not.

Big pic:
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9572/dsip32outs01ph0.png

c) Note that this next step will replace the original default configuration file, so you may want to make a backup copy first - it's the file outputs_vst.cfg in C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt Player 2\default here.

d) Back in IP, click [Make Default] to save this configuration, close and re-open IP. This is just to get the output channel naming correct (i.e. configured as 16 stereo channels, rather than the original default mixture of stereo, surround and mono channels).

Now you can load an IP product and play it; the track outputs will go to the separate tracks in the IP Mixer but they will all be sent to a single stereo track in your host.

... So let's change that so that we can use 20 tracks in the host, where we can mix, pan, and add FX to our heart's content.

e) Take the Snare bottom track as an example. Click on [Conf.] You will see that the 2 channels for SNRB are routed to plugin out #1 and #2, click on each one and change them to #7 and #8.

Big pic:
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1228/dsip32outs02ie8.png

Repeat for each IP Mixer track.

f) In your host, change the number of audio channels for the track to 32 and route each pair to separate tracks in your host's Mixer. In Reaper, I used the feature to "Build mutltichannel routing for the selected FX" to do this for me. This step maps the 32 outputs from IP to the 32 channels on the track and routes each pair of channels to 16 other tracks (tracks 5 to 20 in the screenshot).

These three screenshots show:
-- the mapping from the 32 IP outputs to the track's 32 channels
-- the 16 outputs tracks for IP, the names are generated automatically (hence the step of closing and re-opening IP earlier)
-- some of the Sends created for the IP track, you will see that successive pairs of channel are Sent to each succeeding track

Big pic:
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4976/dsip32outs03di6.png

Big pic:
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8589/dsip32outs04sj9.png

Big pic:
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/7968 ... s05kt1.png

Here is the final result - playing a Bonzo Beats groove in IP, sending all the tracks to Reaper tracks and monitoring the levels in the Reaper Mixer.
Big pic:
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1927/dsip32outs06vn4.png

And here is a summary of the steps:
Big pic:
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8155/dsip32outs07xg5.png

Don't be put off by this - preparing this tutorial took about 2 hours, setting up the config took 10 minutes. And I've saved it as a Reaper track template so I don't have to do it ever again.
Inspired by ...

IP Multitrack Kits: Mixing within IP

The IP MT Kit Multis load all the kit pieces into separate IP Instruments; these instruments are automatically routed to the IP Mixer channels. In addition, the main drums (Kick, Snare, HiHat and Toms) are also routed to the Snare Bottom, Overhead, Room1, Room 2 and Misc 1 mixer channels.

Big pic:
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1043/dsipmtmix.png

So, for example, looking at Tom2 (in Position 3):
-- its audio is sent to SNRB, TOM3 (as it is in third Tom position), OH, RM1, RM2 and MISC1.
-- its main output is controlled using the TOM3 mixer fader,
-- its other outputs are controlled in the Instrument controls,
-- for the audio sent to SNRB, select [Direct] in the first drop-down list and adjust the Snare Bottom Volume (and Pan) knobs,
-- for the audio sent to RM1 and RM2, select [Room] in the first drop-down list and adjust the Room and Room 2 Volume knobs,
-- for the audio sent to OH, select [OH] in the first drop-down list and adjust the OH Volume knob,
-- the audio sent to Misc 1 cannot be controlled in isolation,

Cymbals do not have their own individual Mixer channel; rather the audio is sent to the Misc 1 mixer channel, and also to the OH, RM1 and RM2 channels.
-- changing the Misc 1 mixer fader will affect all the audio steams sent to that channel, not just the Cymbal,
-- for the audio sent to RM1 and RM2, select [Room] in the first drop-down list and adjust the Room and Room 2 Volume knobs,
-- for the audio sent to OH, select [OH] in the first drop-down list and adjust the OH Volume knob.
Inspired by ...

hey dark star,just figured id chime in here as well,hope thats ok

IP Custom Toms:

if you want to make a 5 tom kit a 6 tom kit,load the kit,go to the intruments folder for that kit & add tom1 p1(position 1).now tune that tom higher than the existing tom1 which is p2 (position 2).of course you could choose to mix the toms from different kits as well & in any order as they are all available in each position from the instruments folder.another thing you can do is if your playing these w/ IMAP is you can double up the toms of a three tom kit w/out retuning just to give you access to the toms with your left hand as well as right by adding the same toms only in positions 1,2 & 3.

Discrete outs in the Cubase mixer AFTER converting from IMAP to GM
[By BERFAB ]

I have been having trouble getting discrete outs in my Cubase mixer AFTER I convert from IMAP to GM. It seems to work fine in IMAP, but once I hit the GM key, everything defaults to stereo.

The problem: how to set up separate track outs in the Cubase mixer for each separate kit piece. (this is in addition to the multi-track outs that are already in Kontakt or the Kontakt 2 player). Why do this? Well, it provides additional FX routing options for starters, as well as direct panning and volume control directly from the mixer.

The process:
  1. Open Kontakt Player or Kontakt 3 in the instrument rack (not as an instrument track, but in the actual rack - devices/instruments from the dropdown). When prompted, create a corresponding MIDI track.
  2. Pick out the multi-track kit of your choice. Click on the kit's corresponding 'mulitrack output' to prepare the settings in the Kontakt player.
  3. Go back and click on the actual multi for the kit of your choice. When prompted, choose to 'merge' this kit with the 'multitrack output' setting you have chosen for step one.
  4. The kit will open in the default IMAP mode. With Kontakt/Kontakt Player open, bring up the outputs controls. The faders should all now be in front of you. Just above them is a button that says 'remap'. Click that button.
  5. Go back to the Cubase instrument rack. Right clicking the symbol in the left column closest to the Kontakt rack space will reveal a dozen or so track channels that can be activated with a mouse click. Click on any or all of these that you think you'll want - i.e. KICK, Snare, HAT, etc.
    vClose the instrument rack, and from the 'devices' dropdown, open up the Cubase Mixer. All the individual tracks you just selected should now be in front of you.
When you play each piece, the corresponding track in the Cubase mixer should activate. You can now edit directly from this mixer.

Once you have done this, you can then toggle back and forth from GM to IMAP format just by hitting B0, either on your keyboard if you have a full 88, or on the piano roll in Cubase.

Don't forget to save your work once you set this up. :smack:
Inspired by ...

I stopped trying to use IP a while back after finding the output assignments much too confusing. But now that I see these tips I will give it another try. Though I am still running into problems with IMAP/GM kits. If I start with a GM kit I find that it changes to IMAP kit. I cannot understand why.

Thanks Darkstar!

Cheers,
Gordon

I vote Darkstar for both King of England, and
Chancellor of Native Instruments! 8)

Here is a picture showing the different drum kit piece routing in the IP2 Stereo and Multi-Track kits:

Big pic:
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/9206 ... uting3.png

-- in the ST kits, you can control the the level of each kit piece separately,
-- in the MT kits, you can control the levels of each kit piece into several mixer channels and you can control each mixer channel too,
-- these 2 examples are for comparison only,
-- I have created my own Multi template (no instruments) for the kits, with the Mixer channel names shown.
Last edited by DarkStar on Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Inspired by ...

If you are running short of memory
  • switch IP2 (or Kontakt 3.5 (or Kontakt4) to run in "purged" mode (it's in [Options] >> Load/Import),
  • this loads the .nki files but without the samples,
  • play through your MIDI clips once (this enables Kontakt to identify which samples are used),
  • then click the Arrow next to "Purge" on each Instrument and select "Update sample pool" to load the samples that are used,
  • there is an "Update sample pool" for all instruments at once, on the main toolbar too.
Inspired by ...

Accessing User Guides in Kontakt 3.5 (and 4?)

Have you noticed the ... \Infinite Player\Documentation folder on your disk?.

Put your Kontakt and Drum Masters manuals and the iMap pic in there. Then you can access them quickly from the button in the Kontakt Browser, Libraries tab:

Inspired by ...

USD kits / GM mode: silent Crash 1.

You may find that the Crash 1 kit piece in your USD kits does not sound in GM mode. If so, you will see that it is not mapped to any key. To enable Crash 1 just change the Articulation from "Inside" to "Edge" and you will see the key mapping change to C#2 (49).

Also, the Crash 2 and Splash kit pieces may have swapped mapping positions. In GM, Crash 2 is on A2 (57) and Splash on G2 (55). Change the mapping mode to Custom and you can alter the mappings accordingly (using [MIDI Learn] is easiest).

Once you have changed your kit piece (Instrument) or kit (Multi) Save it back into the folder, with a slightly different name if you wish to keep the original.
Inspired by ...

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”