If you could have any Genesis sound...

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd wrote: Oh and the beautiful haunting synth sounds in Hairless heart
yes of course - and the huge Mellotron sound from it as well - first track that came to my mind
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jkleban wrote:Whoa...

I just thought of something.... if you are with Nick at the farm on a MISSION... I can't help but think of the word RE-UNION.

Jim
Again, just so imagination doesn't go TOO wild, we're not getting Gabriel back with Genesis or anything... I'd love to though and one could only hope that this happens. Although I have to say that their collaboration on the newer Carpet Crawlers is under-rated. I don't hear Genesis fans rave about it enough but I really LOVE that. I love hearing both Gabriel and Phil sing lead on the same track. That is awesome. That IS almost a reunion in a way...

But, anyway, I couldn't tell you if I WAS involved in something like that but I can tell you if I'm not and... I'm not. Not right now anyway. We're mostly doing sampling. But, the music project relates to two other bands that I like and what I am TRYING to do (that I don't know if it will happen or not because it is unlikely from the start) is something that I could get credit for fearless boldness at least. Either way at some point I will tell you all what I was up to whether we pull it off or not. You'll laugh at least.

Anyway, www.recordproduction.com will be video documenting a bunch of these cool sessions we're doing all over England this week... yes, in different studios but one of them WILL be The Farm. Of course! We've been planning this for a while now. It's finally happening and it is going to be a blast. That and also the other sessions though too. The lack of sleep though is incredible but we're pumped. There's always Red Bull.

We will report, show pics, videos at least as much as we can. It's meant to give you guys a rare inside look and not to brag or gloat. So if it is obnoxious let me know. Hopefully not. We're just sharing what we think is cool and this is what we do for a living... somehow we got this job! To "Sample Everything". Everything also means everything I think is cool basically.

Squids....

When you sample the doubleneck, please sample each note on the fretboard and make a sample program of each string.. so then a MULTI can be put together of all 6 strings (6 programs) for the 12 strings which can be triggered in real time by a MIDI guitar. That way, when chords are played on a MIDI guitar, all the notes will be played back using the correct note samples.

Example, playing an open E chord in the 7th position, would trigger two different (and correct) high E notes. The one on the open high E string and the E note on the 9th fret of the G string.

Midi guitars transmit on 6 different MIDI channels and then the MULTI could respond to each string by being set to different channels. Know what I mean?

So, send the videos, pictures, whatever and I for one do not think of your sharing of this stuff GLOATING or Showing Off or anything rather giving us a chance to at least experience a small part of your envious endeavor.

Jim

PS - I will BETA this for you too :-)
The keeper of the Shrine.
http://lldom.blogspot.com
The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI

jkleban wrote:...we sample everything...
...and grab everything you can by your ears and eyes too!
PGi

Wow. Hugh Padgham is amazing. What a cool guy. I've never met him before. The drum sound we got today, which took us ALL day and I didn't have time to upload anything yet (but could perhaps now that things have settled a little) is absolutely mind bogglingly amazing! Jim you are going to freak when your midi files play this Premier single head kit. I can tell you guys a little more about this since everyone is pretty darn cool and lax about it. Basically we're doing a Studio ProFiles title for the "Infinite Player" plug-in that will be announced TODAY.

There is already Drum Masters Silver and Gold Edition released this week that's already been done (and took a while) but since that time working on the editing and programming we've recorded the Ken Scott Collection with Billy Cobham, Terry Bozzio, Woody Woodmansey, Bob Siebenberg and Rod Morgenstein all with the original gear Ken would have recorded them with Mahavishnu Orchestra, Missing Persons, David Bowie, Supertramp and the Dixie Dregs (plus a few extra surprises). We've also recorded Neil Peart for a Studio ProFile title with Nick Raskulinecz who produced the last Rush album (and Foo Fighters... lots of pics on our myspace page of that). Plus, we've done some other sessions as well... and we're continuing to do them because as you can see we're dedicated to the task and we don't even know if you all will be BUYING this plug-in and the Studio ProFiles series multi-track stuff (we only hope otherwise we can't continue forever... I just have a theory basically that other people are going to go as nuts over this stuff as me).

Anyway, THESE Studio ProFiles sessions we're doing now are focusing on Hugh Padgham and Nick Davis (separately but it just so happens we're working with them both a day apart). Two different producer/engineers who have both worked with Genesis and I think have two different styles of recording someone like Phil which is very interesting.

Oh woops, a little crisis in the studio... have to run but I'll be back with more if you're interested.

I would like to have the sound of... (mod edit: Sorry, we really want to keep this thread somewhat productive and serious to the original question)

Edit ± no sense of humor allowed... ok i see, np. [mod edit: sense of humor allowed but in this case since we're trying to ask a question looking for legit answers in our company forum - not the general forum- we ask that it's not filled with joke answers just this time... but it isn't a big deal. Thanks]
Last edited by man-T on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drunken robot sounds from "The Waiting Room" 2:05-2:15. Tinkly synth sounds from "The Waiting Room" 0:52:00.

Parisongs wrote:Drunken robot sounds from "The Waiting Room" 2:05-2:15. Tinkly synth sounds from "The Waiting Room" 0:52:00.
I have in front of me Tony Banks' Arp 2600 serial# 0001.

Squids wrote:I have in front of me Tony Banks' Arp 2600 serial# 0001.
WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!
PGi

nl3 wrote:
Squids wrote:I have in front of me Tony Banks' Arp 2600 serial# 0001.
WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!
PGi
A little Lambience. :D

Also, Hackett's infamous rare Shaftsbury Duo Fuzz finally... I can never find one of these! Supper's almost ready!

U R killing us. Ask to borrow that duo fuzz and get it over to IK for Amplitube.. HURRY.

Can't wait to see the videos and photos.

Jim
The keeper of the Shrine.
http://lldom.blogspot.com
The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI

I am drooling at the prospects of what is on the horizon (in addition to the Floyd-inspired thing you mentioned briefly earlier).... :D :D :D

I'm with everyone else when I say I'd love a multi-sampled kit of Phil's drum sound on the Lamb album. There's something so warm and intimate and powerful about that drum sound (not a ton of reverb on some of those tracks, but MAN what power! I can only imagine what that room looked like ).

I always loved the 12-string tone at the beginning of The Musical Box -- it's all 12-strings, right? But it almost sounds harpsichordian (new word there). Maybe a result of the 12-strings with soundhole pickups?

The lead synth sound playing the arpeggios during the verse of Back In NYC is also a must. I hear the synth more than the guitar -- Hackett's playing the same thing with a hint of slapback delay and maybe a little phaser, but Banks dominates during the verse. It's a great, pulsing sound.

What about that awesome droning sound at the beginning of I Know What I Like? It's like a piano slowed waaaaaayy down, but that's another great one. dum de dum de dum.....:lol:

Obviously every lead sound in the Cinema Show solo must be included...I know they're mostly Pro Soloist patches but it can be so hard to find good Pro Soloist samples! (Zero G included some on their Nostalgia instrument a while back but I can't say I was immediately impressed with them....then again, I can't play like Tony Banks. :( )

How about that deep synth or guitar sound (?) on the chorus of Trick of the Tail? Under the piano, there's some thick phasey part, I guess it's Hackett's guitar, but maybe I'm wrong? It really lends some bottom end to the chorus.

I could go on for days, probably. I'll be very excited to see what comes of this fun brainstorming session. 8)

jkleban wrote:U R killing us. Ask to borrow that duo fuzz and get it over to IK for Amplitube.. HURRY.

Can't wait to see the videos and photos.

Jim
You know, I thought about asking to do that. I might. However, this pedal seems to really be the same as a Univox SuperFuzz and I have one of those and DID send it to Italy (and they're sending it back now... hopefully). I would assume it is modeled by now but I have no idea. I am sort of off the "lending" vibe at the moment only because we've joined up with a real analog style studio in Miami with 2 inch Studer and good old stuff so... I'm kind of into the idea of making music these days somehow. Life's short! I can't just keep making samples and not use them to make music too so. My style is to have a live room with the real vintage gear AND samples, plug-ins etc for the best of both worlds. Then you can do practically anything. So, real pedals and software pedals co-exist in my world. I collect pedals, vintage keyboards and world instruments. I used to really collect them but now I have just a relatively mild collection because I don't have time to hunt them down plus they're a lot more now than they were in the early 90's when people thought they were out-dated and obsolete. As it turns out, they're now rare and hard to get for a decent price. No more $200 Minimoogs in the paper.

Speaking of Minimoog samples I did some amazing new samples of a friend's Model D. This one just sounds better than all the other Minis I've seen. Something about it really sings. I did some cool lead sounds on it... really just sampled it for myself but it will end up in a product or for download now that we have www.downloadablesoundz.com

Yeah, we'll do a Lamb, Selling England and Trick kit at some point. Not with Nick and Hugh though but maybe with David Hentchel for Trick. Otherwise we can just research the kits and approximate it as close as possible (at a certain point there also budget restraints... unless so many people support these kind of esoteric efforts by purchasing the product in which case it would self-fund the quest for the coolest sounds... while other sound companies go straight for the real money making another hip hop kit. We'll do that too but... my personal passion is for a lot of these type of sounds.).

Sampling a Coral Sitar here. Came up with a cool way separate the sympathetic string resonance so you can just add it back in as a layer. Oh and yeah Jim I am sampling every fret up and down. Takes forever but we might as well. It doesn't get any cooler for me than a Ricky double neck (especially the exact ones used on both Selling England and The Lamb... which sound different and one of them has flat wounds!). Hmmmm. What fuzz box did he use though on the bass on that record...a good question. Probably the Shaftsbury but maybe a Coloursound Supa Tone Bender or something.

Also, I wonder which models of acoustic 12 strings were used on say Cinema Show and Supper's Ready... I'd like to get a sound close to that myself (even though we have some nice 12 strings coming already for the Infinite Player).

See if Steve Hackett has his Synthi Hi-Fli

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”