If you could have any Genesis sound...

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are we going to have a moment of "and now for something completely different" and you're working on a book deal "The Secret Banks of Banks" where you'll get him to go through how many sounds were made (with DVD too, of course)? :)

EuropeanOnUranus wrote:
Squids wrote:That's a distorted Pianet he used on Musical Box. I don't think Tony ever used a clav. But those Pianet sounds from Nursery are good.
Ah thanks! (Similar profiles, and with all that overdrive was hard to tell.)

What's the opening of Carpet Crawlers played on? Is there any effect or doubletracking or does TB have like 5 hands?

By the way, Korg CX-3 organs can do the tone wheel slowing mentioned above. ("WheelBrk" parameter lets you assign a pedal to it.)
A pitch envelope can simulate it pretty well potentially. But, there may be something to the real tone wheel winding down.

Carpet Crawlers was played on an RMI Electra Piano. He does a cross-hand technique for the arpeggios and I don't think there's double tracking. There may be delay helping it though and that would sound like double tracking. However, I am not sure if there is. I'd have to listen carefully and think about it. There's obviously reverb though.

buscemi wrote:Are we going to have a moment of "and now for something completely different" and you're working on a book deal "The Secret Banks of Banks" where you'll get him to go through how many sounds were made (with DVD too, of course)? :)
No, but that would be fun. However, I am working on something that Genesis fans should like. I can't say exactly what just yet. But I should be able to discuss it more toward the end of next month.

Hackett's Ebow from any song. Problem with the Ebow is you can only play one note at a time. As a sampled sound, it would be great for chords.

http://www.mikedickson.org.uk/tron/ebow.mp3

Peter Gabriels voice from "Selling England" With a wordbuilder option, which doesn't sound fake :love: :drunk:

Waker wrote:Peter Gabriels voice from "Selling England" With a wordbuilder option, which doesn't sound fake :love: :drunk:
That will be ready in 2092.

Squids wrote:
Waker wrote:Peter Gabriels voice from "Selling England" With a wordbuilder option, which doesn't sound fake :love: :drunk:
And pre-orders on esoundz will begin... when?

Reverend Rhythm wrote:
Squids wrote:
And pre-orders on esoundz will begin... when?
2092. :D

You can email my great great grand Squids. ;)

I can't believe he only used a Pro Soloist on Lamb Lies Down, superb!
ESoundz - KindredSpirit

There are other synths on The Lamb. But mostly for the effects (Arp 2600 for example, maybe even an EMS Synthi since Eno was involved). There's also the Moog Taurus of course. But the main one is that ProSoloist. Secret Tony Weapon. ;)

Well it's just so vast...the Genesis catalogue is filled with amazing sounds and I was lucky enough to see them last year. I was blown away and quite pleased with the sounds Tony used. He had his trusty Korg Wavestation, a Roland A-90 controller and a Korg Oasys(which he hardly used...spent most of his soloing time on the Wavestation, which is actually a controller now triggering sounds from a Receptor). I think the sounds he used on "Home by the Sea" and "Second home by the Sea" were spellbinding.
I've always wanted an Arp Quadra or 2600!
Mac Pro Quad 2.66 GHz. 9GB RAM
Snow Leopard 10.6.8/Pro Tools 8.0.5/Digi 002R
Live 9.1
Predator, Subboombass

Thanks for the opportunity to provide input. I'm a late-era Genesis fan :)

Roland JD800/990 - Fading Lights - brass sound
Prophet - Dodo - intro chord sound
Sample - No Son of Mine - elephant guitar thing
Prophet - Man On the Corner - Layered sound in last half of intro
Synclavier - 2nd Home By the Sea - 'Falling pitch' ghost sound effect behind the guitar solo
Synclavier - Home By the Sea - Spooky pad sound in the section before 2nd Home drum pattern begin
Akai sample - Brazillian lead sound :)
Synclavier - In That Quiet Earth (Mama Tour) - both the verse and chorus lead sounds
Hammond - Follow You Follow Me - a definitive 'Tony chorused organ' sound
Yamaha CP-70 - How about a hi-def 1GB version of this instrument once and for all - 4+ velocity switched samples per key? :)
Last edited by mikefkeys on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hm... I never really thought of Genesis as a "sounds" band. In fact I can't even really think of any standout sounds. Now Peter Gabriel's solo stuff... Many gems there.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Oh, one other treasure would be a full 'Phil Collins' drum kit library. That concert tom sound is unique, not to mention plenty of china cymbal :) And of course, all of the old Roland and Emu SP drum machine sounds would round out that library nicely.

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”