If you could have any Genesis sound...

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

blatanville wrote:mostly, I think they're clever layering and production, but analyzing them is beyond me I fear.
Yeah. Hence my feeling of stupidity: many of those sounds I just can't have without a lot added after the fact. Fortunately for me Squids knows about these things and can filter out my unrealistic randomness.

The incredibly emotive piano on The Lamia.

The heavy 12 string/keyboard main motif in Squonk & Los Endos.

Just about any of the keyboards from Riding The Scree.

More patches (or an emulation) of the Arp Pro-Soloist that Tony used.

(I realize that these can probably be made using existing stuff, but it would be nice to have them easily at hand.)
Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real. - Niels Bohr

Every sound from Firth of Fifth. Being serious here. Flute, guitars, and others mentioned already, maybe a "song pack" of sounds would be in order?

I would have to agree with the Paul Vicory list and the everyones comments on "Firth of Fifth".

I really do keep going back to the early 70's Genesis sounds. Here are some random thoughts:

There are the multiple 12 String guitars on "The Musical Box" and "The Cinema Show".

The various volume pedal guitar sounds.

Of course there is the "Watcher of the Skies" mellotron.

I like the Wikipedia entry on Tony Banks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Banks_(musician) The Instrument list at the bottom is kind of like a shopping list for recreating Bank's "bank" of sounds from a given period.

But it isn't just the instrument, it is the final sound. So it is the proper patch on the Hammond T-102 going through an MXR Phase 100 and Boss CE-1 with the proper settings.

So we are talking about a "tank" full of guitar and vintage synth sounds routed through a "multitude" of Amplifier and Effects boxes. Gee Squids, how could that ever be done?
:)

mellotronaut wrote:
duncanparsons wrote: >and the bit where he forgot to come in during the intro of Supper's ready at the Rainbow in 1973 (the Jerusalem Boogie bit :))
:hihi:
I used to have a dodgy bootleg of that concert, with a bit of 'The lamb' live on it. It was a precious commodity back in the day. But now with the Archive box sets, and wider access to rare items, I don't have nearly so much kudos!
Meffy wrote:This isn't Genesis per se*, but that sharp, clear, crystalline guitar (12-string?) in Anthony Philips' "The Geese and the Ghost." Right at 8:07 it's at its most fur-raisingly glittery. Less than three. Also right at 10:51 when everything kicks in. Glorious stuff that.

[edit: I'd also like a photo of the "Send Barns Orchestra and Barge Rabble conducted by Jeremy Gilbert" but that's another matter for another discussion. Also, I think maybe I'm hearing TWO twelve-string guitars, one played by Philips and one by Mike Rutherford. Whatever it is, I love it.]

I used to be in regular written contact with Ant. very nice chap. I kept trying to persuade him that he needed a drummer & I was that man; he was always very pleasant about it, and always said no!

I went to his front door (in a row of terraced houses in Clapham, London), but didn't have the nerve to knock... I posted a note through the door. He wrote and thanked me for not disturbing him 'unheralded'.

My favourites of his would be 'Wise after the Event' (or 'Sapiens post Eventum') and PPs 1,2 and 8. I used to have all but PP6 and PP7 on LP. I now have pretty much the lot on CD or mp3. Love it, totally love it. [In the 'Masquerade' monthly comp in early 2006, I pretended to be him, submitting 'Antasia' by 'Private Parts'. No one guessed it was supposed to be Ant, and no one guessed it was me.. :roll:]

Paul Victory mentioned the guitar solo on 'Moonlit Knight' - how could I have missed that one!

DSP

[Edit]
Actually, Antasia can be found in Markleford's listings here
Private Parts: Antasia

Cool beans.

I can't beileve no one has said this so far...

For me, not a big Genesis fan really, but I always was amazed by the production on Phill's VOICE, specifically the chorus. I don't hear chorus like that on on anyone except maybe Janes Adiction. I really have been dieing to get that effect!!!

(ps first post to sonic reality)

soma wrote:I can't beileve no one has said this so far...

For me, not a big Genesis fan really, but I always was amazed by the production on Phill's VOICE, specifically the chorus. I don't hear chorus like that on on anyone except maybe Janes Adiction. I really have been dieing to get that effect!!!

(ps first post to sonic reality)
I'd rather have Peter Gabriel's actual voice :) But I like the thinking outside the box with the vocal processing - maybe Squids could throw a bone with a couple of presets across a few products like T-Racks, CSR, and whatever for the chorus (I believe the only IK/SR product that would offer chorus would be AT2 and that would be overkill to load up for vox IMO).

Oh and an X-Gear bundle of patches would be nifty - I like the guitar sound from Calling All Stations, kind of makes me wonder if Rutherford had listened to "Achtung Baby" (edit: realized I got the timeline backwards)
Last edited by buscemi on Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think Rutherford was listening to New Years Day when he came up with some of the hooks in Home By The Sea. ;)

Good stuff guys. Keep it coming. You're gonna like the surprise which I will reveal toward the end of the next month. Or I might even do a live blog in the middle of the month or something special. Yeah. This is going to be fun. You'll see what I am up to. This and some Floyd related things that are equally as fun and interesting.

StudioPhonik Prelude Part II: Genesis Edition? :)

All the keyboard synth sounds on "Selling England by the Pound" and "Lamb Lies down Down on Broadway". The guitar sounds I can do myself :wink:
Bobn
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Squids wrote:I think Rutherford was listening... This and some Floyd related things that are equally as fun and interesting.
Gilmore's guitar on Amplitude would definitely rule 8)
Bobn
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Well, there you have it Squids....
...all of the above please

- and make it snappy :)

Treeper wrote:Well, there you have it Squids....
...all of the above please

- and make it snappy :)
I love all of those sounds and the whimsical, adventurous, dramatic, powerful and yet delicately beautiful music of Genesis from the "Trespass" to "Duke".

The only problem in recreating those tones are people like me. For instance, with the recent remixes of the Genesis catalog, some of the tones got changed - I'm sure because some of the original equipment/mixing technique got lost in the sands of time(!).

Some of the tones on "A Trick of the Tail", for example, sound quite different on the remixes. Different, but not necessarily in a good way to my ears, because I'm so locked in to the original sound, having listened to Genesis from that period for so many years.

I think we would be a tough musical demographic to satisfy.

I'm not in a Genesis-cover band nor do I have any inclination to recreate the sound of Genesis of any era in my own music, but I do like the idea of drawing on certain "pet sounds" to the purpose of creating something new and musically valid, music that might conjure up some of that 70's Genesis magic.

The more specific the sounds the better if you know. Saying "all of the sounds on the Lamb"... yeah I know. That would be nice. And Peter's voice and the sound of this and that mix... I am obviously not talking about remixing Genesis for you guys. I'm talking about SOUNDS! Maybe it's programming patches or maybe I am sampling drums and other instruments in the style of Genesis. When I say "You can imagine" it shouldn't be that hard. Plus, I think I had said before one of the things I was up to. Well, it's gotten even cooler and soon enough you guys will know a few things we're doing lately. Fun stuff!

So, any particular INSTRUMENTS that the band used that you'd like to have samples of for example? Arp ProSoloist? Mike's Double Neck Ricky? The sound effects in Waiting Room? Specifics if you can. This is your chance.

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”