Automation Clips: help needed...

Official support for: image-line.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A question here re: automation clips and the fact i still cannot seem to get my head around them.
Let's say I am wanting to control the volume at the end of a channel. i go to automate or i can simply click create automation cli. now if i go to another part of the playlist but i want the automation clip to be altered in some way, length-wise say if i edit that automation clip there it will affect all copies of the clip... the only solution/workaround i see is to make an automation clip for the whole track. i though there might be a consolidate function that would merge all edits together... i hope this makes sense, as i say i am finding it trickier working with automation clips when it could be easier...thx

There is a function called "Make unique". If you click it you can modify your automation without affecting the original version. If you click the symbol i circled in the picture you get a drop down list.

This can also apply for patterns. You can make a pattern unique and modify it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

i should have mentioned, i know about the make unique feature, i just wondered if there was a way around that, i just end up with a huge list in the channel rack...
but this is probs the only way. i wish Fl had some similar functions to other daws when copy and paste and it's a new clip without refering to the original.. that may sound a bit nonsensical...

inkwarp wrote:i should have mentioned, i know about the make unique feature, i just wondered if there was a way around that, i just end up with a huge list in the channel rack...
but this is probs the only way. i wish Fl had some similar functions to other daws when copy and paste and it's a new clip without refering to the original.. that may sound a bit nonsensical...
I believe as soon as you copy a clip and you want it to be unique in some way the list of clips in the project will inevitable grow. Therefore I pay more attention to each clip and pattern in the arrangement window. It's not necessary to scroll thru the channel rack to open things like the piano roll. In FL Studio 20 there is a picker list, separating patterns, audio clips and automation clips. It can also make searching a bit easier.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

the reason i find this a PITA is that renaming and labelling in FL is a chore.
i know that 20 has the playlist but that is if you have 20, i do not. Even if you have the playlist you have to scroll through it, no?

there are always workarounds, i was just enquiring if there was a clear reason or even soulution.

Return to “Image Line”