Using Beta 4 piano roll in Reaper?

Official support for: image-line.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So. After fooling around trying to figure it all out for far too long, I've managed to set up TE's MidiLoop to allow me to use the FLStudio v12.51 piano roll in place of Reaper's native one.

It's awesome and I love it so far!

My question is -- Is the piano roll in Beta 4 a noticeable improvement, and is it stable enough for me to use it in place of the one in v12.51? I'm assuming that the MIDI capabilities aren't broken, so I can still use it with MidiLoop.

If it's good -- and different -- I'll standardize on it in anticipation of FL20's rollout.

Thanks!

from what i can see there is hardly any change to the piano roll.
but i am finding that FL itself seems a little slower than i am used to.
i am a little confused though. Do you ever use FL as a plugin or as rewire?
you wouldn't have to rely on loopB. ( i do use loopB but only when i want to record midi inside FL iteslf)..

Thanks for the reply, inkwarp! I'm still experimenting and learning. From multiple posts around the net, people say that Rewire is more prone to latency, and flakier than just doing a MIDI loop connection.

I hadn't loaded FL for a long time. I'm going to see how FL20 looks, as the beta thread indicates that they're getting closer to it being able to function as a more typical DAW than it does now. I really like Reaper's incredible flexibility and low resource use. It 'clicks' for me. Except for the piano roll...

All I really want to do is learn how to compose, import, and edit MIDI gracefully in the piano roll, then trigger it to play tracks in Reaper. I've got Reaper set up with a receiving track that distributes MIDI to up to four synth tracks, so I can layer and balance and experiment. I'll then export the completed MIDI from FL's piano roll into Reaper. I've never done much MIDI previously, so I'm more than willing to believe that I've gotten something wrong or am not doing it as effectively as possible. I'm really disliking Reaper's piano roll -- and struggling to use it on a 4K monitor -- so I've been trying to find a good alternative for the past few weeks. This method is, so far, exactly what I've been hoping for. And the vector resizing in FL is delightful for my eyes.

If the new piano roll isn't significantly different, I'll just relax and go with what I've got working now. I may fool around with Rewire, just to see how much extra functionality it might offer me, if it works well. But my brain has gotten pretty burnt just getting to this point. :P

i use reaper a great deal and i agree the piano roll/midi editor is a pain. personally i find it clunky and awkward. my solution? just to work on midi on FL and then export. it's easier for me this way. it also means that the midi is available to any other daws. i will occassionally fire up as a rewire ( i have no problems with this personally). and again on occassions run it as a plugin. but really, using the midi file method i have no problems ( i do have to save presets i guess if i am using a particular vsti but again, this is an advantage ultimately because you can load this into any daw and away you go.)
so, it is a matter of preference i guess. this is what works for me these days having played around with different worklows, this is the smoothest and reliable...

Return to “Image Line”