Mac Bio,, Denormals, continuing saga, EDIT, i've given up, go to hell imageline.

Official support for: image-line.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently bought Toxic Biohazard, PoiZone and Morphine and all three have major graphic re-draw problems using AU in Live 7.0.9 on my Quad G5 along with other major issues.

Activate a plug-in so it's UI is active. Click outside the host window to the desktop. Go back to Live and the plug-in window is white with no UI. Hover the mouse over the plug-in window and parts of the UI start to draw back in when the mouse goes over the top. Happens every time in all plug-ins. I tried with the VST plug-in and this doesn't happen.

I have to also agree with ttoz. These plugs in OSX are EXTREMELY buggy. I've got the CPU spike problem too, although it doesn't happen every time. I've also got huge hanging notes that sort of get stuck in a buggy loop and drain my CPU. I have to force quit Live 7.0.9 to get out of it.

I bought these last week but I'm only getting round to using them and realising how buggy they are. I'm in two minds whether to request a full refund as they're pretty unusable as they stand (and yes I've tried the new beta versions - Biohazard is actually worse than the original download for crashing my system).
Last edited by C.Bennett on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ok, i would like to apologize about one thing, i forgot all about Paul's suggestion.. that worked. my sincere apologies.

vst and denormals seem ok in live, i guess that means the au is heading in the same direction.

now one last question, am i tripping, or are some of the toxic III presets not there?

We are now working to resolve these issues. These problems will be resolved during, I guess, a week or 10 days.
Author and support for ToxicIII, Morphine and PoiZone VSTi's.

Maxx, just letting you know, i installed Logic Pro literally just now on my laptop, to compare to my imac, and the same problems with biohazard persist, i know you are aware of the crash, but i am talking about denormals now, it's still denormalling really bad in logic.. easy to reproduce, any bass patch will really show you cause the bass patches use such little cpu, play a note or two, cpu usage is maybe 5%, after note has stopped, 2 secs later, cpu shoots to 70% and then back down. classic denormal.

so i can confirm it's the same on my imac and laptop with logic 8, using both the saffire and built in audio.

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately I've had to shelve all three purchases as they're killing my workflow in Live. Last night I had a few instances of Biohazard and PoiZone in a track before the whole thing just went mental and I had to force quit. It doesn't happen with Live or any other plug-ins until I add an instance of anything vaguely related to an Image-Line synth.

I love the sound from these synths but at the moment they're just completely unusable for me. I'll give Maxx and the Image-Line team a chance to get to the bottom of things over the next few weeks but if the next round of updates don't fix the bugs I'm going to have to politely request a refund.

Cheers,
Colin

I'm currently finishing the fixes.

Just some insider info: all the problems of Mac versions of the plugins happen at old PowerPC macs. Nowdays, of Core2Duo/Quad macs and Leopard OS (after 4th system patch released) it's pretty difficult to track and resolve the problems of 5 and more years old computers. When we started over Mac versions of the plugins I was against making Universal Binaries, and suggested to release only Intel versions, because I expected these troubles. It's almost impossible to find the old hardware now (it was a long time eBay adventure when IL got PPC mac for me, also I was waiting about a month after that for OSX 10.3, which you cannot get in stores now), there are no many beta testers, etc.

What I'm going to tell now is absolutely my personal IMHO, telling it not as the developer but as just a software user, not declaing the future support of PPC versions, etc: why don't you guys simply get a modern machine? :roll:

Despite of that my IMHO, the PPC versions will be updated in nearest time.
Author and support for ToxicIII, Morphine and PoiZone VSTi's.

PowerPC machines stopped being sold about 2 years ago so I'm not quite sure why you're taking the obsolete stance. I also class my Quad G5 with 8GB ram as a pretty modern machine. It still whips the ass off the current generation of Intel Macs (below the Mac Pro line) and I also feel that the £4,200,00 I invested in it in October 2005 would see me good for a long time. The only macs that are faster than my machine are the newest Mac Pro line.

There's a hell of a lot of PowerPC mac users out there, myself included. I continue to use my G5 Quad because it runs everything perfectly. All of my current plug-ins as well as legacy stuff run great and free from the Rosetta translation layer for Intel Macs.

The ONLY thing I seem to have a problem with is my recent $234 purchase for Toxic Biohazard, Poizone & Morphine. If there were issues with the PPC architecture and ability to properly test it you should have made this clear before purchase and I would have taken my money elsewhere. I'm obviously looking forward to the updates and hope they fix the issues but I don't think it's constructive to start blaming the problem on people's 'out of date' hardware when it seems to be down to Image- Line's inability to code proper universal binaries that work the way they're meant to.

Maxx Claster wrote: why don't you guys simply get a modern machine? :roll:
:roll: right back at you.

I'm on a 3 day old Intel MacPro with 8GB ram, an 8 week old INTEL imac with 4gb ram, and an 8 week old intel macbook pro with 4gb ram.

All three are running leopard 10.5.4

How much more current would you like me to be? To get some unreleased mac from the future?

You said "guy(S)" so that was equally directed to me as it was to Colin.

Oh and Maxx, since thre are about 200 or so other plugins that re universal binary that work perfectly, i am SURE that's the problem. Just keep telling yourself that, rather than accepting the fact that it's bugs from YOUR side.

:roll:

I have uploaded new beta versions of Maxx' plugins to our Public Betas forum:
http://forum.image-line.com/viewforum.php?f=1919

I'm at the end of my tether with Image-Line. Your customer support is abysmal and I've asked for a refund twice now! The first request was met with "our developer has updated the plug-ins"... no they hadn't. I replied saying they were the same beta versions as the past month. I asked for another refund and it was met again with "our developer is updating the plug-ins and a fix will be posted tonight"... a few days later and FINALLY you've uploaded new beta versions which have gone FROM BAD to WORSE!!!!

I've tried installing them three times. Once just an upgrade over the existing install. Second time was a removal and re-install and third was an install through Pacifist. Morphine and PoiZone don't even launch with these updates.

I'll be replying to my ticket accordingly and if I don't get a REFUND in my next support request I'm not only going to get in touch with my credit card company, I'm going to forward this whole case study (a print out of this thread as well as my support requests) to trading standards. This is BEYOND A JOKE!!!!

Sincerely,
A very angry customer!

What type of mac do you have, what version of OSX do you use, and what version of Live do you use?

reflex wrote:What type of mac do you have, what version of OSX do you use, and what version of Live do you use?
I've already mentioned this at the top of this page: G5 Quad on Ableton Live (now 7.0.10) running on Tiger 10.4.11. It's been almost a month since I purchased this broken mess (9th August) and I've had enough! I'm not willing to waste any more of my time pissing about with this. I expect a quick response and resolution to my support ticket!

Thankfully I finally got a sensible reply to my ticket and a long-overdue refund!

hi I.m having a problem with toxic. keeps crashing logic when i close logic.
tried the new 1.02 version. but it still says 1.01. i'm using an imac intel 1.83ghz,
2g ram.
can you let me know if the plug in will be sorted.
i can't use it at all. But it sounds Great just eating to much cpu.
thanks
Dirtbci

Return to “Image Line”