Why is SimSynth VST such cutdown version of standalone?

Official support for: image-line.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No osc FM, filter features removed etc. Why did you do that? It would've been a great plugin.
“Somebody said to me, ‘But the Beatles were antimaterialistic.’ That’s a huge myth. John and I literally used to sit down and say, ‘Now, let’s write a swimming pool.’ ”

as far as i know the developer david billen will not touch the code again , they say also most part of the coolness of the simsynth layed on its good scores presets but you can achieve it in the step sequencer and add other filter on simsynth
Organising a protest march this Friday Schlesische Strasse 28 ,10997 Berlin, Germany

At the time, it made sense to cut it down a bit to make it more cpu friendly for realtime.

Now it doesn't matter at all, but I think it's too late to get Dave Billen to update it to include all the specs of SimSynth Live.

To me they just share the same name. The VST has no guts compared to the original.

SimSynth 2.7 was the -first- software synthesizer that actually made me decide to start selling off my hardware, this was back in 2001, IIRC. To this day still, no other softsynth I've heard yet matches the "Oberheim-authenticity" of SimSynth 2.7. (Though ImpOscar has come close at times.)

Unfortunately I have to agree that the SimSynth VST version is a watered-down travesty that doesn't deserve to bear it's predecessor's namesake. Hell I think the little TS-404 has more balls.

SimSynth 2.7 is a milestone and a legend in my book.

smart wrote:Now it doesn't matter at all, but I think it's too late to get Dave Billen to update it to include all the specs of SimSynth Live.
yes but why ? as far as i know sym synth standalaone is not an abondonware so he gets royalties and funds with it , as it sold on IL SHOP (i am a proud owner of the standalone now)
why don't he gives the codes so one can make a vst port as for zynadubdfx ?
an other question how the presets can be red by fl studio engine ?
i think this thread reappear every new year moon like a strange hallow , please we need some help , we must save private billen !!
Organising a protest march this Friday Schlesische Strasse 28 ,10997 Berlin, Germany

Could someone of the IL staff give an official verification?
“Somebody said to me, ‘But the Beatles were antimaterialistic.’ That’s a huge myth. John and I literally used to sit down and say, ‘Now, let’s write a swimming pool.’ ”

The SimSynth Live plugin is fairly old. At the time, most computers weren't powerful enough to run a plugin that had all the features of the standalone SimSynth. At least, that's what I think the reason was.

yes it was the reason before
but now when i asked why it is now not ported entirely to vst they say something like i don't think david billen will touch the code again or something like that
(david billen who created boobass too )
why i don't think it is too difficult to create a vst port isn't it ?

i am happy i had simsynth vst and fl version with XXL , but i would not bought it alone as the name is an usurpation (i had to buy the standalone to be happy )

Ok thanks reflex. Yeah it'd definitely be a good idea to bring the features back, if possible. gol?

As far as I know, David Billen has stopped programming audio software. And I don't think we have access to the actual sourcecode.

Furthermore there are a lot of softsynths out there that come close to SimSynth or surpass it (in my opinion), so any effort put into this would seem wasted to me. Or to put it differently, we have a lot of projects that take up all of our time, so we're not really looking for new ones at this time.

but what i don't understand is how fl studio is able to read simsynth presets
there must be a little of simsynth is in its architecture
there is a really small difference or is it because of the legacy effects ?

I don't know the details of how the simsynth presets work.

Case closed then.

Return to “Image Line”