Step by Step Instructions for Disting A-5 Linear/Exponential Algorithm using MS-20 from Eurorack

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Can someone provide step by step instructions for getting decent octave range (say 4-5 octaves) using V/Octave Keyboard with the Korg MS-20. Currently I can only get a usable 1 octave from the MS20 via the Disting. I've bashed my head against a wall for days and have given up plenty of times and would buy an 'English Tear' if I could find one so I have to persist with the Disting for now.

Has anyone used the A-5 algorith over a decent octave range (say 5 Octaves) with an MS-20 from a V/Octave source? I want to know if it's even possible.

Currently.

1. Set MS-20 VCO 1 Volume Max using Saw Wave, VCO 2 Volume Zero
2. Connect Gate Out from V/Octave Keyboard (Matrixbrute) to 'Trig IN' on MS-20 using V-Trig to S-Trig cable and tune Korg to output note C3 when triggered by gate with no pitch input to the MS-20.
4. Connect V/Oct Keyboard Pitch Output to Input X on the Disting
5. Connect Output A on Disting to 'VCO 1+2 CV IN' on MS-20
6. Adjust Z-Knob until tuning is as desired.
7... I can't get it to work properly and need help.

The manual says 1100Hz/V is what is used on a Yamaha... is it the same for a Korg MS-20? If so then I expect the correct setting should be around half way.

The manual also makes a point of this fact

The zero Volt point on the exponential scale used is C3 (approximately 130.81Hz).

I'm not sure what the relevance of this is? And if it's causing me to misunderstand the correct calibration procedure in terms of pre-tuning the oscillators to a set note.

I think I need very step by step instructions to get this to work if it's possible, so forgive me if I keep coming back asking for clarification.
Last edited by adamts13 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Connect Output Y on Disting to 'VCO 1+2 CV IN' on MS-20
Y is an input. The output corresponding to input X is A.

Sorry... I got those messed up when writing from memory. I was using input X and Output A and was getting a degree of tuning but not usable over more than an octave. If I had those mixed up I'm sure I would have had no success whatsoever. I'll correct my original post. Still none the wiser.

ok... so...

I think the quick and easy trick is...

1. Connect 'KBD CV OUT' of the MS20 to the "Y-Input" of the Disting... then Connect the "B-Output" of the Disting to a Voltage Meter.

2. Press the lowest key (C note) on the MS20 and adjust the Z Knob until it registers 2V on the Voltage Meter. Get it as exact as possible. Then pressing the 2nd, 3rd and 4th C Notes should register 3, 4 then 5 volts on the voltage meter.

EZPZ!

Return to “Expert Sleepers”