es-8 with ADA8200 vs es-6

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hiya,

I'm trying to work out whether I should go the ADA8200 or ES-6 with my ES-8. I'm mostly interested in having more inputs for audio to basically multitrack my modular synth. I have the digital i/o on my soundcard (Motu 828x) for either option but I was wondering how is the ADA8200 connected to the ES-8?
Do I for instance have to connect my various modular audio outputs to the the ADA8200 via separate cables for each input and then digitally to the ES-8? If I'm only wanting more inputs, I may as well bypass connecting it to the ES-8?

If I go the ES-6 option with the ES-8, I would have 4 + 6 inputs between the 2 modules correct? And would I have to connect the optical and usb from the ES-8 to utilise all 10 inputs to the computer for this setup?

I'm definitely leaning towards the ES-8/ES-6 combo due to the ease of patching if I am correct with all of the above. Any info would be great!

Thanks.
aritchie.com

How are you using the ES-8 & MOTU together at the moment? Via ADAT or as an Aggregate?

Currently as an aggregate as I only recently upgraded from the Motu Ultralite without lightpipe to the Motu 828x so I haven't tried the lightpipe yet.
aritchie.com

OK. Then the ES-6 connected to the ES-8 will probably be the best solution, as you can patch from the modular straight into the ES-6 without worrying about 3.5mm to 1/4" cables.

I have an ADA8200 for the same reason you want...to record multi track modular.
It works fine, except modular level are so high that the ADA is always outputting signal... there is no mute and gain at minimum still passes signal. For me this is ok, I gain stage in my old EMU-1212m. I also use a mixer and have split the signals to use both simultaneously.

The other thing... there is no relation between the ADA's in and outs. By that I mean, the analog inputs just go to the lightpipe output.. and the lightpipe input directly to the analog outs (I have seen ppl asking if the analog ins can be passed to the analog outs, ie using the unit as an 8chnl analog mic pre).
As os suggests, in your case, I'd go the ES6/ES8 route. So you won't have all the cabling needed for the ADA.

@os... I have a couple of distings 4s and I am curious if you are open to suggestions for new algorithms ?
I have need for a particular type of trigger/gate counter/accumulator.

Thanks os

toonertik wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:35 am I have an ADA8200 for the same reason you want...to record multi track modular.
It works fine, except modular level are so high that the ADA is always outputting signal... there is no mute and gain at minimum still passes signal. For me this is ok, I gain stage in my old EMU-1212m. I also use a mixer and have split the signals to use both simultaneously.

The other thing... there is no relation between the ADA's in and outs. By that I mean, the analog inputs just go to the lightpipe output.. and the lightpipe input directly to the analog outs (I have seen ppl asking if the analog ins can be passed to the analog outs, ie using the unit as an 8chnl analog mic pre).
As os suggests, in your case, I'd go the ES6/ES8 route. So you won't have all the cabling needed for the ADA.

@os... I have a couple of distings 4s and I am curious if you are open to suggestions for new algorithms ?
Thanks for all that. Super helpful. ES-6 it is.
aritchie.com

rdomain wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:19 pm
toonertik wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:35 am I have an ADA8200 for the same reason you want...to record multi track modular.

Thanks for all that. Super helpful. ES-6 it is.
:tu:

Return to “Expert Sleepers”