Jitter issues with USAMO & Logic (Solved)

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I just set up USAMO in logic and was excited to have a jitter-free alternative to my Motu... but I was sorely disappointed.

This is what a 4x4 kick looks like going through the USAMO. The MOTU has up to 10 ticks of jitter, now I'm looking at 40.
Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 2.10.58 PM.png
Also the manual says you should be able to adjust the "offset" button to synchronize it with your click. That is not working for me. Latency is huge.. 120 ticks at 120 bpm (so, 1/32 note)

I've tried different buffer settings, played with the trim setting, played with a bunch of settings in the plugin and reverted to the defaults. Doesn't make a difference. All the I/O settings are correct as far as I can tell but I must be missing something here.

Please help if you can tell what's going on here, thanks in advance!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by pdougherty on Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What is the USAMO sending MIDI to? Is it sending clock, or notes?

It's sending notes, not clock. I'm doing the sequencing in Logic

To what is it sending notes?

I've heard it said that using Logic's I/O plug-in to send the audio to the USAMO can help, as it's designed to compensate for hardware latencies.

Jitterbug?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

It's sending them to a Vermona DRM drum machine, which doesn't have a sequencer

I'm using the External Instrument plugin with Midi out to USAMO

No, no, don't do that. The USAMO plug-in is itself an instrument. Just load it up on an instrument track.

The External Instrument thing will be introducing loads of jitter.

That's what it was! I didn't see anywhere that USAMO would take the place of "External Instrument" but there we go. Good stuff. Also latency is fine now and the "offset" knob is able to make small adjustments.

Thank you!

But.... just did some new tests and jitter is improved, but not sample accurate.

Here's the Vermona run through on the USAMO. Very good but still 4 ticks of jitter on a short test.
Vermona USAMO.png
For reference this is the MOTU.
Vermona Motu.png
And just to show this isn't specific to the Vermona I tested the USAMO with my voyager.
Voyager USAMO.png
I was hoping this was going to be bang-on. Is this as good as it's going to get?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Perhaps. Bear in mind that there is jitter in the Vermona or Voyager too, and there’s nothing the USAMO can do about that.

Interesting -- didn't think the instruments themselves could be contributing to jitter. Not much I can do about that either. This works for now. Thanks for your help

Return to “Expert Sleepers”