ES-8 USB Issue???

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Os, I thought I had an operating system error, driver error, or bad cable, but I've narrowed my problem down to the ES-8 (I think).

On Windows 10 with Bitwig 2.3.4 I've been running ASIO4ALL tied to UA Apollo Twin with the ES-8. For a year I've had no problem. Then overnight with nothing having changed from yesterday I couldn't get sound out of my rig. At first I thought it was an installation issue of some sort or other and so I reinstalled Bitwig, ASIO4ALL, even Java. But as the issue was narrowing down what I found was that if I switched from ASIO4ALL to WASAPI everything works fine.

Then I unplugged the ES-8 and Bitwig started responding correctly, meaning; The playhead in Bitwig won't engage and play a sample with the USB cable plugged into the ES-8 nor will the PUSH be noticed, but as soon as I unplug the ES-8 and reboot Bitwig the PUSH and playhead work again.

So I'm trying to figure out why if a USB cable is plugged into my ES-8 and my PC is Bitwig choking?

Adding: I did take the ES-8 out of the case to make sure power cable is connected correctly. I smelled the unit to make sure there were no popped caps or other damage. Tried a different USB cable and 4 different USB ports.

Is the ES-8's USB LED (the upper one) coming on?

Do you have another computer or iPad etc. to try it with?

Have you tried reinstalling the ES-8 driver? Or reverting to the old one (3.40.0)?

What an incredibly frustrating exercise. Tried my Surface Book but I couldn't get the ES-8 and the Wasapi drivers to bind with ASIO4ALL.

Tried the old drivers, no luck.

In Bitwig I changed the audio device to Expert Sleepers USB Audio Device AWAY from the ASIO4ALL device and my PUSH comes back to life, I can engage PLAY, but as soon as I choose ASIO4ALL I lose audio in/out and the PUSH.

So on further examination it would appear the culprit is ASIO4ALL or more likely something Microsoft bungled, add to this show stopper that ASIO4ALL doesn't have any contact info on his/her page.

Things are auto-magically now working.

I downgraded ASIO4ALL to version 2.13 but that didn't work. I tried clicking on Hardware Buffer and things worked.

I upgraded back to version 2.14 and it took over the setting for Hardware Buffer and it worked. So I disabled Hardware Buffer back to the setting I had before this nonsense started and it works too.

Until I rebooted when it didn't work again. So I re-enabled the Hardware Buffer in ASIO4ALL and the sound popped back on and the PUSH started working again.

Almost 8 hours of noodling to get to this point where I don't really know why any of this happened.

I wrote to Michael Tippach of ASIO4ALL regarding the details to see if he had any input as to why or how this might have happened.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”