ES-8 ADAT Input popping

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello All

I am using an ES-8 in standalone mode with a saffire fire 40 and am getting popping on all inputs quite badly. I am using a relatively small set powered by a uZeus. I've tried using the software to set my es-8 clock to ADAT, etc no dice. I've checked / swapped adat cables - from monitoring the saffire the pops seem to happen on 2 channels at once sometimes

-- Could my power supply be bad? - Only have 1 other device on it (korgasmatron) so I doubt I'm drawing too much current

Thanks
Last edited by rocklobster343 on Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tried Switching the clock source of my Saffire Pro 40
to ADAT (the es-8) but no luck.

Started having a ton of weird drift voltages and oscillations on outputs despite not even outputting anything

The Saffire should be using its own internal clock, not the ADAT clock.

The ES-8 will automatically select ADAT clock if it has no USB connection (when powered up). As soon as you connect via USB, it's no longer in standalone mode.

What are the power specs of the uZeus and the Korgasmatron?

uZeus says it can output 2000mA; korgasmatron draws 98mA @+12V; 88mA@-12V

Never got this to stop; Ended up running my saffire (firewire) with the es-8 (USB) via ASIO4ALL
- couldn't figure a better aggregate device solution.

The whole setup starts popping and click after about 20 minutes ussually then it's 'fine' after a reset of the es-8 for another 20 until the same problem again.

When you were running the ES-8 standalone (without a USB connection and therefore without asio4all) were you using one or two ADAT cables for the connection?

Both ( and obviously no USB to use adat for standalone) at this point I feel it’s unlikely that it’s an ADAT problem since the issue is extremely similar through my ASIO4ALL aggregate setup - though when I was using adat I only noticed the popping when monitoring the es-8 inputs but when I had the es-8 via usb and saffire via FireWire I will start to hear popping through studio monitors (connected via the Safire)

Going to go back to trying with ADAT - not sure if it’d be any different now

Any ideas why I’m having these issues??? Seems like a clock related thing? Could my es-8 be damaged??? Could it’s clock be drifting / missing cycles / not properly locking??

Being that I’m having issues in both standalone and usb mode I suspect it’s the unit - of course it could be my Safire but the Safire never has problems on its own - only popping and clicking when in use with es-8 in either mode.

If I still have to use usb for the es-8 (instead of adat) does anyone have recs on aggregate devices on windows that don’t use asio4all (I’ve read it’s not a robust system)

I absolutely love my es-8 but I have to powercyxle it every 5-10 minutes :/ (luckily this doesn’t crash my daw but obviously it’s not real workaround)

I have a Saffire myself, and it is unusually fussy about locking to an ADAT clock. However, that shouldn't apply here if the ES-8 is taking its clock from the Saffire.

So to recap - whether using the ES-8 with USB or standalone, make sure you have an ADAT cable from the Saffire output to the ES-8 input. If you're using the USB connection, set the ES-8 to use the ADAT clock.

Always leave the Saffire on its internal clock.

Using the Adat input into the es-8 and making sure the clock is set to ADAT via usb seems to help - thanks for the support

Any additional advice on running the es-8 and Safire as some sort of aggregate device that doesn’t use asio4all would be appreciated as well - thanks!

That would involve moving to mac :)

Did you ever sort this out? I get constant clicks and pops over ADAT inputs (via Focusrite Clarett 8Pre). It also doesn't work in USB as it sends voltage surges over all outputs every few seconds in Ableton. At the very least the outputs work over ADAT.
Last edited by mercurius on Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

When you're using it standalone (via ADAT), how do you have the clocking set up?

Over USB, are you using it by itself or in an aggregate?

os wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:26 am When you're using it standalone (via ADAT), how do you have the clocking set up?

Over USB, are you using it by itself or in an aggregate?
Thanks for your reply. I didn't notice it until now. I have the clock source set to Internal on the Clarett 8Pre, at a 44.1kHz sample rate. Buffer is at 32 Samples. On the es-8, I have the clock source set to ADAT and the buffer also at 32. Still getting clicks/pops on all the inputs so I have been avoiding them so far, and just going straight into the Clarett. It would be really nice to have those extra inputs though, if I could ever sort this out.

When using USB, I'm using it by itself (since I'm on Windows 10), well - again, trying to use it, I never got it to be stable in USB mode.

Thanks again

Return to “Expert Sleepers”