Expert Sleepers ES-8 Linux support

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I am considering an ES-8, but I am a linux user.
Has anyone experience using the ES-8 with linux. Does it work properly with jackd, alsa, ... ?

Thnx in advance for the feedback.

People have confirmed that it works. See e.g. https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=200310

Does anyone have a collection of optimizations (jack, kernel options, ...) for the ES-8 on linux.
Or might I have to write this myself? ;)
I know I spend quite some time optimizing my tascam usb audio device for bitwig/jack.

I ordered 1 and will configure it later this week.

My ES-8 has arrived and it works fine in linux.
Out of the box with low latency, although I allready did some tuning for usb audio for my previous audio interface.

I'm using jack with 64-byte buffers. I got it working with 32, but when using complex plugins in bitwig (phase-4) the audio system goes bananas. 64-bytes seems perfect.

.jackdrc :
/usr/bin/jackd -S -P96 -p128 -u -dalsa -dhw:ES8,0 -r48000 -p64 -n2

I'm not sure if the following has added value for better latency, because I allready tuned it like this for previous audio adapters.
/etc/security/limits.conf --> add the following :
@audio - memlock 1024000
@audio - nice -10
@audio - rtprio 99

I am using Mint linux 18.3 (build on ubuntu 16.4.3)
and kernel 4.8.0 (lowlatency)
# uname -a
Linux MonsterPC 4.8.0-58-lowlatency #63~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Mon Jun 26 19:54:15 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I haven't extensively tested it yet as I only installed 2 hours ago, but it seems to work perfectly.
I was able to couple bitwig with the es-8 and even integrate VCV through jack.

I compiled VCV 0.6.0 with the unsupported option to support jack and pulseaudio. The jack support is still a bit buggy, but it works... The main issue is that VCV doesnt correctly couple jack devices/applications, but bitwig luckily does that for you ;)

If other ppl are strugling or have questions about my setup/tunings/... just ask here...

Informatively :
I also got the Silent Way VST plugins to work in linux using Airwave, Playonlinux & Wine.

Summary of what you need to do (and I used this to get many other windows vst plugins to work on linux) :
- Install airwave, playonlinux & wine
- Make sure you also install the 32bit version of wine and it's libraries
- Download the plugins you need and always choose the 32-bit windows version (32-bit wine works best)
- Open the playonlinux application and create a new custom 32-bit virtual drive (you could name it VST)
- I used wine version 3.7 32-bit
- Customize the virtual drive and set it to emulate windows XP
- Add the following components : Microsoft Core Fonts, FontsSmoothRGB, RegisterFonts
- Copy the Airwave binaries (.exe .so .exe.so files) to a subdirectory in the playonlinux drive_c path you just created
- Open the airwave application and configure it to point the binaries to the path where you just copied the Airwave executables. Point the wine prefix to your playonlinux virtual drive and the wine loaders to the wine 3.7 executable in the appropriate .Playonlinux subdir.
- Configure log level to quiet...

Did you try to run it together with another interface? Since this should be possible in Jack? (altough I have Jack2, not sure how it works with it)

Return to “Expert Sleepers”