Es-5 / ESX-MD Getting Nowhere

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought an ES-3 and Silent Way and I loved it. In fact, they revolutionized my use of modular. Emboldened, I bought an ES-5 and an ESX-MD but I cannot make sense of them at all in the software.

I seem to be connected correctly. I follow the very limited documentation and lights flash, seemingly at random, but I’m at a dead end. Presumably I’m doing something wrong but there doesn’t seem to be any additional documentation to help. The ES videos show a system working smoothly, but offers no information how to set it up.

Is there some support resource that I'm missing? I can't believe that I have to go trawling forums for such a basic / set-up level.

What are you trying to send out of the ES-5/ESX-8MD? MIDI? Or triggers/gates?

Set up of the modules & plug-ins is described in their respective user manuals.

Thank you for responding. I am trying to send midi messages out from the ESX-8MD - clock and individual notes. I am running Logic, with an ES3. ES5 and and ESX-MD. With respect, there is nothing about this in the ESX-MD “manual”, which only talks about the hardware connection.

It seems to me that I am properly connected because I can send midi clock to the ESX and control the output from the ES-5 controller. So if I run Logic I can sync a drum machine using midi clock through the ESX - all good (and rock solid, as promised). However when I play a midi note on the very same channel I can’t get any midi to output. I can see midi going into the ES5 controller. A light come on on the output of the ESX. But nothing comes out of the ESX.

I tried 44.1 and 48k, though the midi clock works fine on either.

Am I routing something wrong? But then why does the light come on on the ESX output? Any help gratefully received.

Can I see the plug-in settings?

Thanks. Here is my Logic channel and here is my ES-5 controller. I've kind of guessed at this set-up and it seems to work.

So, to the ES5 controller. Coming out of 6/2 is midi clock. I’ve got an old Roland drum machine attached from 6/2 on the ESX-8MD and it’s rocking along fine.

You can see that I’m sending midi note info at the top where is it show 128 value. In this setting on the ES5, a red light comes on at ESX 6/3 (or whatever) whenever I press a key, or in time with a sequence. I’ve tried sending note info out of 6/2 or 6/3 or other outposts at the bottom, but no note info is transmitted.

If I turn up output 6 bottom left, all the ESX lights flash on and off (why is that btw?).

I'm also curious as to why the note info is coming in on number 4 at the top.

Thanks again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You don't want to use the Input To Gates section. That's for generating analogue gates from MIDI.

If you're sending MIDI, the only relevant section is the 'MIDI Out' block.

Thanks, I know that, I was just mentioning to show I was connected right. I am asking about midi,

So - why am I able to generate midi clock routed through the ESX, but can't get a midi note to register? I play the keyboard. I can see the value register at the top as in the screen grab. If the gates are turned off then nothing shows at the ESX output.

But if i run the sequence, light comes on at ESX output 2 and clock works just fine.

A MIDI note on/off is too brief to light up the LED enough to see. Clocks, being much more frequent, are visible.

OK, interesting.(Though I'm not sure why that should be because the ES-3 LED lights up when i give it a midi note).

But my question is still - why is midi note information not being transmitted? If it was, I would be able to trigger sound by playing the notes on the keyboard. But that doesn't work.

I've tried it through three different outputs, with three different machines (Access virus, mmoog mother, Roland R70) all receive clock but no midi note from a sequence.

Can you plug the MIDI back into the computer and watch it with MIDI Monitor (https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/) or similar, and see what's actually being generated?

Yes. As before.

If I run a sequence from Logic, midi monitor shows receiving clock nicely from the ESX. If I play a note I can see it going out (and into the ES-3 / 5) but the ESX transmits nothing. If I plug in a MOTU midi port, the lights flash up when I give it clock, but nothing comes through when I play notes.

I absolutely promise you that midi note information is not being generated from the ESX. But clock is.

Just noticed in your screenshot above you have a Voice Controller in the track. What's that doing?

If that's your 'instrument' in the track, will Logic be sending the MIDI notes there instead of to the ES-5 plug-in?

OK, thanks for noticing. I've been trying combinations to try to get this operational. What was suggested in the documentation didn't work and some online videos had that set-up. At least that way I could see midi note information going into the ES-5.

Here's another set-up with just the ES-5 controller. Same deal. Clock works but no midi note. Only this time when I play a note, I can't see any input at all on the ES-5 controller (and nothing registers on the ES-5 itself).

Also when the sequence is at rest, the ESX seems to be throwing out a bunch of odd information, which does seem to contain note information.

I don't know if that's better or worse, but functionally it's no different. W hat do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OK, wait. I think I've figured it out. I think you were right about the voice controller interfering with the midi. I need to go now but I have a hopeful sign. Thankyou - for the moment!

Return to “Expert Sleepers”