Clip length issues?

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have noticed repeatedly that when I record something and stop recording, the new clip sometimes ends way before the point where I stopped recording. I first noticed when mixing down a clip which I am sure had a slow fade out, but the wav ended abruptly.

Also, when recording something and stopping the recording while still keeping the keys on the Midi controller pressed, the new clip is again too short, but sounds infinitely when played back.

Have you got snap to grid enabled in the composer?

Frankly, I don't know.

e-crooner wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:54 pmFrankly, I don't know.
MULAB>Info>MuLab Docs
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I don't think it has anything to do with that.

Try it.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I can't because I don't know what you are talking about. I searched the Help for 'snap', the three results I found didn't help at all.

This is what you're looking for.

More specifically, the part on the bottom right.

If the indicator is lit, the grid is active. You want it off, so make sure it isn't lit.

Ah that. Well, doesn't seem to make any difference. When I turn grids off, the issue described continues just the same.

In Reaper, the lines of the clip end when I release the keys on my controller, but the clip itself only ends where and when I click the record-stop button.

e-crooner wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:56 pm Ah that. Well, doesn't seem to make any difference. When I turn grids off, the issue described continues just the same.

In Reaper, the lines of the clip end when I release the keys on my controller, but the clip itself only ends where and when I click the record-stop button.
Sorry I can't help further. :dog:

That doesn't really make sense! If you wanted to record a pause or silence in a sequence, using that method, it would be impossible . Once you stop playing, the recording would stop.

No, the recording does not stop by itself. I think you might not have understood what I am talking about.
I have attached an image: The orange cursor is where and when I clicked to stop the recording. But the clip ends way before that, namely where and when I release the keys of my keyboard.
In Reaper, however, it ends right there where the cursor stops, which makes sense because of possible tails.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ah I see, yes I did misunderstand you.
That does make sense actually. I haven't come across that as I mostly use samples from my hardware in MuLab. I did record a couple of midi sequences but didn't notice these issues.

You made a good point about that though.

e-crooner wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:40 pm No, the recording does not stop by itself. I think you might not have understood what I am talking about.
I have attached an image: The orange cursor is where and when I clicked to stop the recording. But the clip ends way before that, namely where and when I release the keys of my keyboard.
In Reaper, however, it ends right there where the cursor stops, which makes sense because of possible tails.
Tails in MIDI are handled by the instrument's envelopes, and thus not the clip, yes? If so, clip ending doesn't matter. If this were audio then it'd make sense to end at pause to preserve tails. But generate tails don't depend on clip length.

And if you're referring to bouncing, then increase the lenght of the clip and then bounce
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

It should simply do what I tell it to do. It should end the clip when I stop the recording because I hear when the tails are over. It facilitates repeating and arranging clips for instance because I see from the length of clips when tails are really over.

Sure, I understand the visual cue. However, take for example more the work I do where I usually build loops. I don't want my MIDI clips to have giant tails. I want them to consolidate so I can drag the end to loop them with ease. For many of us, MIDI clips are just sequences, not visual audio. If I have a giant shimmering reverb tail on an arppegio, I don't want a 34 measure long tail on that clip. I want the arp sequence, and just the arp sequence.

This one I think boils down to use case. Mulab definitely leans more towards a sequencer than a recorder. Reaper is the opposite. I personally don't like working MIDI in Reaper. It feels clunky and old. Sequencing (either via keyboard or via mouse) feels tedious. But yes, Mulab is fairly simple when to comes to recording and generally behaves as though you're building sequences, not audio clips.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Return to “MUTOOLS”