How to import an ogg sample without slicing into sample events?

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi! I've been using mulab for years now and mostly imported samples as pitched samples, but now that M8 has time stretching I find it more convenient to import audio files directly as an audio sequence and stretch them to my liking, but it keeps slicing them automatically even when it's not desired (also causes glitches in the audio). So question is how do I import an ogg file (with the ability to stretch it) without slicing it? I tried merging adjacent sample events but it doesn't always work.
Thanks in advance!

When dragging the file in, uncheck the box that asks to create transient markers. Then the audio sequence won't get split.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

dakkra wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:17 pm When dragging the file in, uncheck the box that asks to create transient markers. Then the audio sequence won't get split.
I don't get the prompt, it just provides me with 3 options (Audio sequence, pitched sample, sliced multi sample) and when choosing "audio sequence" it creates an audio sequence with slices. Maybe there is an option in settings somewhere, but Mulabs UI doesn't make it easy to find.

See the preferences "Auto Create Transient Markers" and "Auto Snap New Audio Sequence Length".

mutools wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:55 pm See the preferences "Auto Create Transient Markers" and "Auto Snap New Audio Sequence Length".
Thanks, that solved the issue, although partially. Now I'm experiencing playback issues, the sample just doesn't sound the same compared to when it's played inside the sample browser. After I stretched it down to match the tempo It has some occasional volume drops for some reason. It sounds a lot like a wobble. Sliced one doesn have the same issue, but it glitches between sample events, so either way I can't use imported samples right now. Any suggestions?

Pls email me the sample you're having trouble with.

mutools wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:18 pm Pls email me the sample you're having trouble with.
What is your email then? Here is a short demonstration of what I'm experiencing: https://streamable.com/q6uql

First of all please read about the basics of MuLab's audio sequences and time stretching:
http://www.mutools.com/info/M8/docs/mul ... ences.html
http://www.mutools.com/info/M8/docs/mul ... ching.html

Stretching drum loops without using transient markers is not the way to go.

Apart from the above i'm still interested in receiving that audio loop so i can double-check some things.

mutools wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:51 pm First of all please read about the basics of MuLab's audio sequences and time stretching:
http://www.mutools.com/info/M8/docs/mul ... ences.html
http://www.mutools.com/info/M8/docs/mul ... ching.html

Stretching drum loops without using transient markers is not the way to go.

Apart from the above i'm still interested in receiving that audio loop so i can double-check some things.
Feel free to point out what I'm doing wrong, as far as I'm aware time stretching works as expected in Stagelight (or now known as Zenbeats) and I have no issues stretching these samples there. I've send the sample to infodesk as I don't know where else to send it.

Did you check out the doc pages i linked to?

mutools wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:06 pm Did you check out the doc pages i linked to?
Yes, apparently I had to switch stretch mode to Granular and it sounds a lot better in this instance. So I guess problem almost solved (except that the sample can not be looped as it breaks when sample event plays again, check the video when sequence repeats itself). I can manually duplicate the sequence but it will be a lot of work for larger projects, so figuring out how to loop a sequence of one sample event without glitches would finally make me happy :)

For drum samples, spectral stretching will sound best in most cases. But to sound good it needs transient markers. It's recommended to import drum samples you wanna stretch with creating transient markers, cfr the doc pages. Note that, also cfr the doc pages, time stretching is a quite complicated thing and results depend on the audio content. In this specific case there is a constant base tone in that drum sample and that makes it more complicated than a pure drum loop. Speaking generally there are several things you can try to optimize a certain stretch. Optimizing a stretch sometimes need manual tweaking of transient markers and/or the stretch parameters. Please see these doc pages. This specific sample is a difficult one though. Not each and every sample is perfectly stretchable.

Oh ok, I didn't have to think about different stretch methods inStagelight as every sample was stretching perfectly over there. However I'm still unable to loop the ones that I import without transient markers. I don't know if it's a bug or intended, but to me it appears to be more of a bug.

I have checked this case and don't see a bug.

The fact that, in your video, the last part of the loop plays must faster is because you have made the part shorter than an integer loop and so the last audio event is played from bar 7 to bar 9, and as Auto Stretch is on this will play the entire drum loop in 2 bars, and as you chose not to use transient markers, all this together indeed leeds to the sound you get. Not a bug. Please reread the docs about how the audio sequences and time stretching works.

MuLab's time stretching may not suit each and every time stretch case. Sometimes MuLab's time stretching will sound much better than traditional time stretching it's much more flexible (!), sometimes it will be less suited. It depends on the audio material and on what you want to do with it.

Please make sure to watch the videos about MuLab's audio sequences and time stretching and to read the docs so that you understand it's strengths and weaknesses.

mutools wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:39 pm I have checked this case and don't see a bug.

The fact that, in your video, the last part of the loop plays must faster is because you have made the part shorter than an integer loop and so the last audio event is played from bar 7 to bar 9, and as Auto Stretch is on this will play the entire drum loop in 2 bars, and as you chose not to use transient markers, all this together indeed leeds to the sound you get. Not a bug. Please reread the docs about how the audio sequences and time stretching works.

MuLab's time stretching may not suit each and every time stretch case. Sometimes MuLab's time stretching will sound much better than traditional time stretching it's much more flexible (!), sometimes it will be less suited. It depends on the audio material and on what you want to do with it.

Please make sure to watch the videos about MuLab's audio sequences and time stretching and to read the docs so that you understand it's strengths and weaknesses.
In my opinion this shouldn't happen. It seems more like a missing feature to me rather than a strength. Stretching down a part in timeline doesn't change the waveform visualization, so one would expect it to play at the same speed as defined inside the audio sequence editor. What if I want my loop to stop after 2.5 iterations, then maybe later in the song I want the same sequence to last for 3.5 iterations, there is no intuitive or easy way of doing that now it seems (except for maybe changing gain with automation)

Return to “MUTOOLS”