MULAB free version

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Someone told me MULAB 6 is now available for this free version here" (free with a four or five track limit and a vst limit). I even found a site online that had "download MULAB 6 free version here" hyperlink that took me to the MULAB site. I can't find it on the site. Anybody else heard this?

I'd like to get this for a friend to use I already have the paid full version.
If it sounds good it is good

It was probably one of those hacking sites :wink: On Youtube there are also lots of videos where they say free download of this or that commercial software. But I would not dare install something like that from a site other than the developer's.

Since the differences between version 6 and 7 or 8 are not thaaat big, I doubt he gives away v6 for free.
But I do think earlier versions had fewer demo restrictions than v8.
You can try it here:
http://www.mutools.com/mulab/legacy-versions/

Before Mulab 8 there was a free edition with a four track limit (and some others limits). However, M8 changed how the model works. There is no longer a free version (the legacy versions would be where you'd pick up an old free edition build) for newer Mulab version.

So with that legacy folder that e-crooner linked to, versions 2-7 (that I'm aware) can operate in free-mode which has several limitations, the most noted being the four-track limitation.

Hope this helps,
Dakkra
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

In my opinion releasing mulab 6 and older versions for free without limits would be a smart PR move, however, I do feel for those who still own a copy of an old version and suddenly their version becomes free for all, it just wouldn't be right to older customers who are still relying on old versions.

To be fair, MuLab isn't expensive. They might even get a discount to upgrade? Not sure how that works. So releasing older versions for free, say M5 or M6 wouldn't be a major issue to those who paid.

Even if there's no cheap upgrade, MuLab isn't so expensive that it's for the select few. Support Jo and upgrade or buy an up to date license :-)

It's been 3 and 2 years respectively so they've had their money's worth considering how cheap it is. So really they have no reason to complain. If, on the other hand, MuLab cost 300 euros then it would be understandable.

There's a lot of things lacking from MuLab, as the long wishlist shows, but look at what it CAN do! And if you use the 32bit version you still have all those lovely 32bit VST's at your disposal!

Maybe just make M5 32bit free? Perhaps all this is a waste of time? Jo may not think it's a good idea! Just an thought. I personally will always keep MuLab up to date as it always has fantastic new features.

What about a new MuLab 8 Free with these limits:
  • Max 4 or 5 tracks
  • No VSTs, no ReWire
  • Audio Sequences only have 2 lanes
  • Only MIDI channel 1 is supported
What do you think?

Seems fair to me for newcomers

mutools wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:36 pm What about a new MuLab 8 Free with these limits:
  • Max 4 or 5 tracks
  • No VSTs, no ReWire
  • Audio Sequences only have 2 lanes
  • Only MIDI channel 1 is supported
What do you think?
But that probably can't be the demo version as people want to test if VST's work in Mulab.

MuLab Free would indeed be a separate version than the demo version.

Frankly, I don't think it is worth the trouble. Mulab is very affordable. It is not like with Cubase etc., where you have 3 versions, the cheapest of which is already more expensive than Mulab.

e-crooner wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:47 pm Frankly, I don't think it is worth the trouble. Mulab is very affordable. It is not like with Cubase etc., where you have 3 versions, the cheapest of which is already more expensive than Mulab.
IMO I'm going to repeat this notion. Mulab is very affordable, especially considering it's feature set. I mean, the only other DAW's I know of that give you proper modular synthesis out of the box are Reason and Bitwig, which are both quite expensive in when compared to Mulab.

Not to mention, the competition in the free-DAW space leaves a poor taste in the mouth. Tracktion is buggy and while it has some neat features (chord tracks and their modular meta-area), it's cumbersome to use and typically refuses to work with my VST's. Cakewalk by Bandlab also is also buggy, but it's much more compliant with VST's. However, CbB is almost as "midi-editor and audio lanes" as it gets. It doesn't have much going for it. Podium Free is okay at it's best, but audio routing (specifically side-chaining) is cumbersome and the software is already out of date.

Others like LMMS and Soundbridge get their job done, but are super simple and lack anything (including name) that sets them apart.

So no, a free version doesn't make sense IMO. Mulab is already affordable, and I think the publicity of "yet another free midi-editor" would give Mulab the stigma of being cheap or low quality, considering it's competition.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

If the world is missing a good free music DAW, then isn't that a good reason to go for it?!
And wouldn't MuLab Free help in getting MuLab more known?
Just asking unbiased.

At first sight, I had the same feeling as Dakkra, but considering that the other "free DAWs" are only existing in free version, an entry level free Mulab could attract more users to finally get the full software. Instead of comparison with existing free DAWS, I think of what Ableton made with the free reduced Live version bundled with some hardware brands.
And for those who wants to try the VST side, there is still the actual demo version.

But I'm not skilled enough in merchandising and sale business...;)

I don't think that people will use even a free version if it doesn't support VST's.
Basically, either you remove so much that it becomes useless, or, if you leave enough important features in it, it is too similar to the paid version. Either way, it doesn't make much sense in my view.

skarabee wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:31 am I think of what Ableton made with the free reduced Live version bundled with some hardware brands.
Good example!

There is no free version of Live. You either buy Live Intro from Ableton, or you buy hardware and get Live Lite. Either way, it's value for money.

Bundling gets a product in the hands of your target customers. In my case, I got Live Lite when I bought a controller for my hardware and it was My First DAW :hug:

What kind of customer is the ideal new user of MuLab?
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Return to “MUTOOLS”