Mulab 8 has allergy to VPS Avenger

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

From what I've seen, typically analog emulations (and some rare "standard" synths) are the VSTs that try to take advantage of multi-threading. U-he is the first "brand" that pops into my head. I'd say probably around 5% of major VSTs have some form of multi-threaded audio (I'm excluding GUI thread of course). I see it every here and there, but not common enough to be a common feature. Honestly, I didn't know that VPS Avenger used multi-threading. I demoed it in the past (when deciding between it and Falcon) and it ran fine for me.

I'm not the best person to ask about this. I'm spoiled with my current computer and I don't use emulations that require (in my opinion) excessive CPU. Seriously, with Synthmaster(One/2), Falcon, MUX, MSF, and MXXX, I'm capable of all my needs. All these plugins work well with both Mulab and Bitwig. None of them use extensive multi-threading if at all. Outside of SIMD operations (which are technically single-thread instructions, but have parallel processing effects) I don't know of any outspoken parallel/concurrency based optimizations in my VSTs.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

FWIW, Kontakt has mc (and memory mgmt, purge, cpu meter, etc) because it has a standalone version. If you try to enable mc with Kontakt as a VST you get a generic popup window warning about incompatibility problems if you have mc activated in both Kontakt and the host application. Out of curiosity, I tried turning it on/off and I get lower cpu usage with it off in Kontakt VST.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

FWIW, it seems that adjusting down "Num Audio Processor Threads" in Mulab makes things much better. Even Avenger runs with no problems. I tried 1 thread with higher CPU levels in the Mulab meter. 2 threads seem to be optimal for my comp.

I think this is the proper answer to my original question. I was able to get it by filtering through multiple opinions on this thread.
I thank everybody who spent time and energy to wrestle with this issue here.

How many cores does your CPU have?

It’s 3.1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 Early 2015.

Oh, then of course you should set the audio thread number to 2 as well.
That was also my mistake initially, I thought the number of audio threads is the same as the number of CPU threads.

How does the VPS Avenger BETA react in Mulab?

You could also check the Mulab Docs regarding Audio setup and CPU:http://www.mutools.com/info/M8/docs/mul ... setup.html
From the Docs wrote:Also note that when you set this value to the maximum, then it might be that the user interface (UI) will become less responsive when you're generating/processing a lot of audio because the CPU has almost no time anymore to handle the UI. The UI includes tasks like drawing to the screen, processing mouse-clicks and key presses, loading and saving projects and presets etc. So if you want to make sure that the UI is reacting quickly, then limit the 'Number Of Audio Processor Threads' to maximum - 1 so that always one real CPU is available to process the UI. So it's a balance you can choose for yourself: More audio power or more UI power.
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

Most people probably don't check the manual as long as they think something seems intuitive. So I suggest adding the following right there in the audio setup window where it asks for the number of audio threads:
(recommended: # of CPU cores -1)

It's already there.
Click the intuitive "More" button in the Audio Setup tool tip.
Last edited by Michael L on Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Where is that?

Hover your mouse over MULAB > Audio Setup.
You will see a tool tip
Under the tool tip is "More..."
Click on "More..."
There are many other tool tips accessed in the same way.
Some also have More
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Ah there. I had seen before that there was some text popping up, but it is way too small for me to read.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:05 pm How does the VPS Avenger BETA react in Mulab?
Here the beta is working just fine (famous last words :scared:).
I have to say,I found this thread very informative and now I have been able to improve vst handling much better with the info discussed. I can see how we have described issues in our own written form which can be confusing and frustrating trying to get the points over clearly. The threads + cores issues I misunderstood and now have corrected with good results. I personally think this tread will help a lot of Mulab users get the most out of Mulab and I'd like to thank Jo for his patience. :)

Return to “MUTOOLS”