MUX Plug-In 8.2.21 beta

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

RichardSemper wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:43 pm MUX DISPLAY ISSUE:

- Open Mux patch on front panel > CTRL+Click Show Modular Area > in Modular Area window, click Show Front Panel
In mulab this works great, but Mux in another DAW displays an empty window aswell as the front panel.
(note that the opened Front Panel does not contain the DAW's top control bar)

- Open Mux patch > Click Show Modular Area > CTRL+Click Show Front Panel > on Front Panel click Show Modular Area.
Again this diplays an empty window aswell as the modular area.

I think that's technically correct behavior. Because if you ask MUX to switch to the front panel/modular area within the same window, then MUX ensures there is no double window and thus closes the other one, resulting in a partially blank host window. But i understand it's not "expected" behavior and so i've finetuned that in the next M8.2.21. Thanks for reporting this!

RichardSemper wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:46 pm A Couple of other things from muxing around for a few session:

BROWSER (opens from the Options Menu)
Preview and Auto-Play not working at all.
What exactly doesn't work?
Previewing samples works fine here.
COLOR PICKER (From the Options Menu or Right-Click context menu):
Would be nice if (say in Front Panel Edit mode) you could drag a colour to the component itself, this would be more intuitive.
Often front panel components have multiple colors eg. a background color and a text color. So which of them should take the dropped color?
Envelopes when applied to mux modules eg Amplifier work great, but when applied to vst parameters the fastest attack is very slow.
Please elaborate, preferably with a concrete example, a little project demonstrating this.

mutools wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:20 pm
RichardSemper wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:46 pm BROWSER (opens from the Options Menu)
Preview and Auto-Play not working at all.
What exactly doesn't work?
Previewing samples works fine here.
Sorry, checked again - sample preview works fine, also muclips play.
In mulab the preview also works for mux presets, but does not in mux browser in another DAW, it does preload any samples which the preset uses, but the preview does not work.
RichardSemper wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:46 pm COLOR PICKER (From the Options Menu or Right-Click context menu):
Would be nice if (say in Front Panel Edit mode) you could drag a colour to the component itself, this would be more intuitive.
Often front panel components have multiple colors eg. a background color and a text color. So which of them should take the dropped color?
Ideally it would depend on which part of the component the mouse is released, but as a start - say the background color?
RichardSemper wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:46 pm Envelopes when applied to mux modules eg Amplifier work great, but when applied to vst parameters the fastest attack is very slow.
Please elaborate, preferably with a concrete example, a little project demonstrating this.
I will send something tomorrow.

M8.2.21 is available in http://www.mutools.com/mux/beta/

This update avoids (host) window confusion when doing certain switch-combinations from a MUX front panel to modular area using the same and/or an extra floating window.

How to update:
Windows: Replace the current MUX DLL and ID files by the new versions. (4 files in total)
MacOS: Replace the MUX .VST file by the new version (assumes you already have installed the complete MUX 8 zip)

RichardSemper wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:46 pm Envelopes when applied to mux modules eg Amplifier work great, but when applied to vst parameters the fastest attack is very slow.
Here is a mux patch to demonstrate the envelope issue I described

I used the DD SigGen.dll VST - basically just a signal generator - available for free from:
http://deadducksoftware.blogspot.com/p/ ... undle.html

or you can replace it in the modular area, with another vst of choice, then set the 'parameter event generator' module to an appropriate parameter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't see anything wrong. I think the slow attack you notice is done by the vst itself to avoid zipper noise. Note that the Parameter Event Generator in MUX also avoids zipper noise and hence sudden parameter changes are not exactly done in 0.0 ms, but it uses a much faster attack time than what i see from DD SigGen. If you want brickwall amplifier attacks (0.0 ms), use an Amplifier module in MUX.

Thanks for checking it out.

I see what you are saying, and sort of expected it. There are bound to be some limitations of using vst's within a mux as opposed to using mux native modules, and this would be one of those. The envelopes work perfectly with mux modules, as the test shows.

To be clear: this is not about wanting a tighter amp attack particularly, but about understanding the interaction between envelope module and vst parameters in general, especially things like filters, ring mod etc. (comes from playing with so many free but limited vst's and using the mux to enhance their capabilities) And this behaviour is evident on most other vsts i tested so far. [Update: TAL Noize Maker acts just like a mux module]
I chose the Dead Duck SigGen to demonstrate purely because it is a simple as it gets, and the amp level is easiest to display.

Also I believe someone posted previously complaining about mux envelopes generally, and I wondered about it because on the whole I have found them to be very responsive and versatile. Perhaps what I have tried to demonstrate has a bearing on their experience.

I have yet to see another software which integrates with VSTs as seamlessly and reliably as does mux and mulab. :tu:
Last edited by RichardSemper on Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mutools wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:45 pm M8.2.21 is available in http://www.mutools.com/mux/beta/

This update avoids (host) window confusion when doing certain switch-combinations from a MUX front panel to modular area using the same and/or an extra floating window.
Much tidier, thanks :tu:

Is there a way to make the Audio Sequence Player create Transient Markers when I drag and drop files into it? I found the Setting in the Preferences and it does not change regardless, but I do not know if this setting refers also to the Audio Sequence Player.

Yes that preference also affects dropping an audio file on the Sequence Player. As that preference is On by default dropping an audio file on a Sequence Player module should create transient markers. I double-checked it here and it works fine with MUX 8.2.21. Note that if you drop an audio file that already has markers in it then these markers are preserved and no extra markers are created. If it doesn't work as expected on your system please elaborate.

I will try to explain what I was doing. Since I am pretty new to Mux/MuLabs, chances are I am doing something weird.

I am running MUX 8.2.21 (64bit) in Reaper. In the Audio Sequence One preset I opened the drum pattern and tried to drag different .wav files in. When I double click the sample it opens in Audio Lab without markers, but I can add them manually.

Return to “MUTOOLS”