Sequence Edit Workflow Improvement

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've mostly used loops from hardware for my tracks with MuLab, but am starting to delve into the MIDI side of using just internal Synths. My first attempt hit a little workflow hiccup imho.

When in the Edit 'window' you can only edit the currently selected sequence. To move to the previous, next or later sequences on that track is a little awkward. You have to go to the Compose 'window' and select the sequence and click Edit again to edit that specific sequence.

I would like to suggest a little enhancement idea I thought of.

Basically, I would like to see the entire Track that the sequence inhabits at the bottom of the Edit 'window'. This would be scrollable and would enhance the ability to edit each sequence on a track. Rather than go back and forth to Compose then Edit.

It would be sort of like the 'MiniMap' feature in a text editor. Displaying the full track so you could scroll to a specific part instantly.

Is this something worth considering?

:hyper:

Another possible solution would be to have the Edit and compose windows shown together in a horizontal 'split-screen' scenario just like the original Mario Kart game on the SNES. But with an adjustable divider to increase decrease height.

Does anyone else have issues with this or am I missing something? I couldn't see a different way to select different parts on a track in the docs, hence the request. Perhaps there are higher priorities at the moment, so understand if this isn't wanted.

Also, is there a way to lengthen a sequence whilst in the edit window?
Currently, if I'm working within a sequence and decide I want it longer, I have to again leave the edit window and go to Compose and back to Edit, it's a little cumbersome.

Instead it would be far easier and quicker if it were possible to change a sequence length directly.

So having my idea above of showing the entire track in a sort of 'mini map' way, a sequence could be edited easily without extra steps.

I think these ideas would enhance productivity greatly!
Last edited by sl23 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think its a good idea about the 'minimap' Podium has a similar thing, maybe other daws do too
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Thanks bibz :tu: Glad you think so too

Another thing to pile onto the workflow improvements of clip editing: When selecting a different track by clicking on the track lane header, have the docked editor switch to the nearest clip to the play head on that track.

Of course ghost notes/layered editing is also another plus.

There's definitely a lot that can be improved with workflow across the board. Should focus on one thing at a time though, the current work on the inline docs and visuals wrt to vector graphics should get finished before changing gears. That way they don't get half baked.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Yes, I wasn't expecting immediate results. But, I would love to see a mini map implementation. Tbh, the inline docs is a useful tool, but personally, I believe there are more important things that could be done.

As with the colour system, Inline docs is something that can be updated during 'quieter periods' of development. Just my opinion though ;)

Return to “MUTOOLS”