Start/End point info

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Could we please have a parts Start/End points displayed when it is selected.
Muzys used to do this and it was extremely useful.
Specifically, I have come back to a project and wish to copy/paste a part but it's awkward trying to figure out where the Start point is in order to keep the rhythm the same.
Thanks

EDIT: I suppose the most intuitive location for it would be in the mid section where a parts Audio Stream or Sequence info is displayed.

Doesn't anyone else find this useful info to have to hand?

Hi,

I came up with a trick a month ago that could be useful to you. You know you can make your own shortcuts in MuLab? I clicked up looping in the list of available commands, and there was a possible command for setting the loop start and loop end. I chose the letter L to do it...

So now I simply select a part and press L. That means I get the exactly correct loop start and end points on the fly. At the same time, MuLab goes in Loop mode (perhaps because I chose L as my shortcut)? It's really super handy and saves A LOT of time for me.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Hi Sparky, Thanks for taking the time to post your solution :tu:
However, it's not a solution to my problem. When you drag a Sequence, there is no information to show exactly WHERE it is being dropped.

To illustrate, I created some patterns on my MC-909, imported them as samples into MuLab, but then have to copy, paste and drag them around to the same points on the timeline. If, as many parts tend to, they start dead on a specific bar/measure, they snap to the current grid. I mostly keep this at 1 bar for easy relocation of sequences. But when a part falls on say a 1/16th or 1/8th in, you can't tell unless you zoom in all the time. After which, you need to zoom out again to get a better view. So I need to keep zooming in and out. But this is half the issue and not the main problem.

The problem I posted is that when these sequences fall off grid, you can find out where an existing one lies but have no idea where the starting point of one that is being dragged lies. There is no info on this. Muzys showed this info hence the request to have it added. It's basically guesswork when you drop it.

When editing detailed graphics in Paint.NET as an example, there is a lot of info about what you're doing:
1. Position of Crosshair.
2. Position of Top-left of the Selected area being dragged.
3. Size of the selected area's dimensions.
4. Size of the selected area squared.
5. Overall dimensions.

Very useful and very comprehensive. MuLab only tells you where the cursor is, that's it.
My argument is that there simply isn't enough onscreen info in MuLab about what you are doing. Surely something like where a sequence is being placed is important info? In Muzys, you could line up the sequence roughly, then look at the coordinates of the start point and place exactly where it needs to be. No zooming to prolong what should be a simple process.

When you click on a part, its start and end positions should be displayed to make it easier.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to explain in detail.

I expect this hasn't passed you by Jo, I know you're pretty vigilant :)
But could I get a quick reply on your thoughts on this? Do you like it or not?
Sorry for the distraction at this crucial time, what with M9 coming up!

Hi
(sorry sl23 for off topic)
SparkySpark wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:50 am So now I simply select a part and press L. That means I get the exactly correct loop start and end points on the fly. At the same time, MuLab goes in Loop mode (perhaps because I chose L as my shortcut)?
SparkySpark, you mentioned that by pressing one key two shortcuts are executed for you? I was trying to assign more than one action to the button but always the first one is executed (BTW - that would be powerful feature to build shortcut chains).

I created four shortcuts that would be perfect to have them as one:
Solo
Loop Selected Parts
Set Play Position At Mouse Cursor (having shortcut for Set Play Position At Selected Part Start would be marvelous)
Switch To Part Editor

Now I can really fast select Part, Solo it, Loop that Part, Set Position and go to edit mode for that part.

Now back to the topic.

sl23 is it something like this below are you describing? When you drag sample you don't know what exact position it will be put when working with long samples and long parts, I assume?
drag.gif
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Something like that, yes.
When zoomed out with around say 16-32 bars showing in the composer, you have no idea where any part being moved is about to be placed. You can judge it, but then have to zoom in to correct or confirm your positioning of that sequence or selection of sequences.

One really useful thing in Muzys was that it showed exactly where the start point of your selection of sequences was to be placed. Removing the tedium of constant zooming in and out.

What I would like, is an extra positioning indicator located somewhere on that bottom left of your gif. Where the "Time", "Key", "Vel, and "Length" indicators are.

pseudonym_303 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:28 pm SparkySpark, you mentioned that by pressing one key two shortcuts are executed for you? I was trying to assign more than one action to the button but always the first one is executed (BTW - that would be powerful feature to build shortcut chains).
Well, I'm not certain whether one or two things are done (the L key might trigger loop on/off, I don't know since it's now assigned my way in my setup), but you're right:
1. Loop start and end points are set to the selected part(s)
2. Loop button is on.

I must say your idea about purposely assigning shortcut chains is supercool. :tu:

I guess that conceptually, this is what a macro does in MS Office, but it is handy and innovative nonetheless.

(sorry sl23 for still off topic :hihi: )
Go MuLab!

That's ok Sparky, I guess we'll have to wait and see...
I just thought this was quite an important issue, but appears not :(

Still, M9 soon hopefully so something good coming :)

sl23 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:34 pm What I would like, is an extra positioning indicator located somewhere on that bottom left of your gif. Where the "Time", "Key", "Vel, and "Length" indicators are.
Take a look at the "Time" when I am moving sample after dropping it. That is true there is no indicator when you drag the sample from library and want to place it in the track, but if you drop sample and then move it, Time is presenting where is the start of the sample.

@SparkySpark I noticed switching on loop mode is happening automatically when loop start and end are set on the selected part. Thanks.

Cheers

pseudonym_303 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:45 pm
sl23 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:34 pm What I would like, is an extra positioning indicator located somewhere on that bottom left of your gif. Where the "Time", "Key", "Vel, and "Length" indicators are.
@SparkySpark I noticed switching on loop mode is happening automatically when loop start and end are set on the selected part. Thanks.

Cheers
Ah - makes sense. Still, you had a really cool idea (for any type of software with user assignable shortcuts). :clap:
Go MuLab!

Sorry, Jo, may I get some quick feedback on this please, I find it a hassle moving parts this way, which I do a lot, without knowing where the start point is.

I understand the issue. Will do my best to add an improvement. Can't yet say when though.

No that's fine, I appreciate your position. Just knowing it's something you agree with is good enough. Thanks :tu:

Return to “MUTOOLS”