Minor Menu improvements

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Probably to much work for Jo. But I if explanations popped up when the cursor was over the heading (like tool tips) it would help clarify things, and if it could be turned off by the user at a later date (when they knew what they were doing and it got annoying) .

Michael L wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:04 am Split Markered > Split and Mark
What about Split Marked

heks wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:15 pm Probably to much work for Jo. But I if explanations popped up when the cursor was over the heading (like tool tips) it would help clarify things, and if it could be turned off by the user at a later date (when they knew what they were doing and it got annoying) .
Coincidentally i had a similar idea. I agree it would be a good thing if there would be integrated help info about context menus. Not a quick thing to do as there are many many context functions. Will give the idea some evaluation time.

mutools wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:46 am
Michael L wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:04 am Split Markered > Split and Mark
What about Split Marked
'Marked' is in the past tense, so 'Split Marked' indicates a split after it was marked. I chose Split and Mark because that function includes two actions: Split the audio and Add a Marker
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

mutools wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:51 am I agree it would be a good thing if there would be integrated help info about context menus. Not a quick thing to do as there are many many context functions.
It might be faster and more helpful to add an Info link from each menu to its Docs page, so users can learn how functions in a menu are integrated.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Definitely a good idea! I like it :)

Michael L wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:17 am
mutools wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:51 am I agree it would be a good thing if there would be integrated help info about context menus. Not a quick thing to do as there are many many context functions.
It might be faster and more helpful to add an Info link from each menu to its Docs page, so users can learn how functions in a menu are integrated.
I prefer to use integrated info for these reasons:
  • That's much more time-efficient to manage for me
  • Showing integrated text is much more instant than having to open an online html page
  • There are no complications wrt a possible version difference between used MuLab version and online docs.
  • Not all context functions will have a description and so opening an empty html page will not be nice
  • It's just about showing a brief description of a context function, maybe a single or couple of lines, so showing an html page may be overkill

I prefer it that way but thought it would be better for you to just add the links. Online help is ok, if you have access!

Inline/in-program docs (for me anyway) help the most. That way I can get a rough definition/idea of what I'm doing straight from the software. Doesn't need to be a long or a complex description, just enough for me to get the idea. MeldaProduction and Bitwig both have in-program documentation and it's bliss to use. I don't have to hop around online to find something. It's "just there".
    My Setup.
    Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

I kind of prefer this to be like on a statusbar or something. Actually, how about the bottom of the Browser window? A few lines there wouldn't make much difference to the browser, and seems a good place to put it. Maybe undock it too if wanted? The last hovered menu item should display the text, wherever you decide best to place it, until you hover over another menu item, rather than disappear.

Anything is better than a Tooltip!

What's wrong with showing a brief context menu description in a tooltip?

In fact that's how i'm already protoyping it atm.

Another advantage of doing it integrated is that in some cases the description can be even more specific, for example specific for Windows or MacOS.

I find them annoying, but if that's your plan, go for it ;)

I like the new tool tip layout because it is unobtrusive and adjacent to its function, has the same font size as the menu so is easy to scan, and is wide enough to have a full sentence on one line! A nice design.
    I went through them, and have a question about the amount of information. For example, do the Split functions need to explain the difference between Index and Marker?
    Another question is the choice of terminology. For example, the tip for "Set Audio Start Here" is, The point at which you triggered this function will be set as the start position for the sample event. "Trigger" has multiple meanings in the M8 Docs: I can trigger an envelope, a midi note, a function, etc. Will that be unclear?
    The M8 Docs describe that same "Set Audio Start Here" function differently, The point you right-clicked will be set as the start position for that sample event.
    OTOH, the importance for me is that function deletes the audio in the event before that point.
    So I wonder, how can you choose the correct amount of info, and which definition is best for new users? Perhaps tool tips can be a collaborative project like MuLib?? :hug:
    H E L P
    Y O U R
    F L O W

The 'one line' approach to tooltips is the worst kind of tooltip imho! I can't stand having to read across a screen when gtp so much easier to read a small column of text! That's why newspapers do it!

But the part about collaboration makes sense as it affects us all. So long as you all agree with my ideas, I'm happy with collaborating! :tu: :lol: :lol:

Return to “MUTOOLS”