FR: Modulation Input (Velocity and Delay) for the Note Modifier / Event Delay module

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am trying to build a midi effect with MUX that takes a note and builds a chord with random velocity and slight note delay and sends it to my hardware synth.

While there is a random function for the event delay, sadly the velocity can't be randomized (or maybe I can't figure it out). Would be cool if there where two green mod inputs on the module so once could attach a random number generator, envelope or lfo to the delay value. this would also allow for building some crazy Steven Reich phasing composition tools.

<3

There is the Mux Modules > Event Generators > Parameter Value Randomizer.
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

I tried that! :) But the Parameter Value Randomizer doesn't work with the Note Modifier (doesn't let you select anything). It does work with the Event Delay, but Event Delay already has a Random function build in.

It would be very useful if one could not just have total random values but Envelopes, LFO based offset shapes.

Maybe what we need is a new Converter Module named "Modulation > Pitchbend/Midi" that takes a Modulation signal like a LFO and converts it to 14bit Pitch Bend Midi for higher resolution or regular 0-127 Midi. The output of this module could than connect to the Note Modifier just like Parameter Value Randomizer (although this doesn't work at the moment).

Once you have a Audiorate to Midi Converter you could of course also convert a LFO signal to Notes and do really crazy interesting experimental things :)

There a couple of other ways, one is using the Note To Modulation module inside a Polysynth and another using the Randomizer module connected to Amp module > Global Level
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Just realised you are making an effect without a sound source built in so these probably wont work the way you want

What's needed is either totally modular control of events or total modulator control of parameters. At the moment, there are a large number of places where a control on a module can't be modulated - sometimes it can only be set by hand, sometimes responding to an event but one that can't be created in the modular environment.

bibz1st wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:26 am Just realised you are making an effect without a sound source built in so these probably wont work the way you want
yes I'm building midi effects, so there is no sound source / element involved. hope a modulation input for velocity on the "note modifier" and a "modulation to note event converter" or midi cc to midi note converter" will be included in the future.

what does exist is the great "midi controller generator" module, which will take a modulation input, so you can already modulate all midi cc events, but midi cc doesn't include per note velocity, since it will always effect the whole midi channel and all notes in it. it's not a "per note" effect.

another cool thing to modulate per note velocity is that a lot of synths will let you map note velocity to different synth parameters, so you can create great and easy to set up organic morphing synth patches, especially when working with polyphonic parts, if you shift the velocity up and down with a lfo etc.

Return to “MUTOOLS”