Connecting Vsti in Mulab with ORB Composer

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can i connect Vsti in Mulab with ORB composer?
For that i need to make a setup..
(How is this be done in Cubase ..i know this.)
Orb has 16 midi channel input in MUlab and one midi port?

I put a rack into Mulab and assign a Vsti to a slot in the rack and connect this with a instrument in ORB
Also the playing (start/stop) and recording in MUlab at the same time Orb is running ? is synced with eachother the timing.

Hi janhardo,

I havent done this in Mulab but should work. I have done in waveform (which is not officially supported by Orb Composer too) and that works, and as the principals (just put VST one after another in one rack, no matter if midi, instrument or effect) are the same should work fine in Mulab.

I have connected a virtual midi cable to Mulab before but sadly dont remeber exactly how its done and it was in Mulab 6 so maybe changed to Mulab 8. But should not be that difficult, I remember there was a point in the menue where you can just define the midi input and output slots, if this is done you will have to only choose this as input for your rack.

Do you think you will need this with the actual OCs which hosts VST-Instruments now ? Just a question, I usually with the new version avoid this and compose only in Orb Composer and then import the finished midi track in the daw and setup the VST then again. More work but more clear and easy worfklow. And if I had not been so lazy of course templates can save a lot of time for next time.

Under "Mulab -> MIDI Setup" you define all the MIDI Input (and output) Ports. You can have up to sixteen. The inputs all get merged to a single event stream.

If it helps under certain situations, you can then take that stream and target each channel at a particular module, remapping the channel if you desire (or let it default). This is "Project -> Edit MIDI Input Channel Targets".

If you leave the "Focused Module" setting and have "Project -> Automatic MIDI Input Focus" enabled, then those channels will get sent to the focused module.

If you leave the "Focused Channel" setting for "Target Channel", then the channel used will be that of the target, for example being taken from the track MIDI channel.

There's also a module you can use inside the Project Modular area or in a MUX to split the incoming events by channel and then route them freely.

Hi Tatanka,
You are right ..offers Mulab connected with ORB a better composing environment?
Is there a (dis)advantage to find for using Mulab and ORB together connected?

Hi PLJones,.. i hope i can find that Mulab and ORB are together better, if so yes, i could follow your setup.
Should be handy if there is a example template ..

I think it is not possible to connect MUlab with ORB composer like with Cubase.

You say you know how it's done in Cubase but you haven't said here. Can you explain here how it works, please? Then it might be possible to provide more information on how to do the same thing.
Last edited by pljones on Mon May 13, 2019 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

offers Mulab connected with ORB a better composing environment?
Is there a (dis)advantage to find for using Mulab and ORB together connected?
Hi janhardo, of course that depends on personal taste mostly and which and how big projects you are doing. But i like to have parts of the workflow as clear as possible. OCs at the beginning had lot of problems (for example not loading Kontakt) but actually it works allright for me. So its just easier to load the VSTi directly in OC, compose my song, then export it to midi, close OC, load it in the DAW and make all the final stuff in there.

For me the task to handle two applications at once is enough to avoid it. BUT: I have an old PC, only one (small) monitor, if you have a good actual PC and two monitors that might look totally different, so its really something personal to decide.

pljones wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:02 pm You say you know how it's done in Cubase but you haven't said here. Can you explain here how it works, please? Then it might be possible to provide more information on how to do the same thing.
I included here a link : for connecting Cubase and other DAWS, perhaps usable for MUlab if it has this functionality of his bigger DAW brothers?
Look at this setup examples and if you think it can be done the same in MUlab ?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17n13Qz ... sp=sharing

Note: i think it is better to use ORB composer without connected to a DAW, because i do have a Vst MUX and as the developers of ORB stated more stable without connected to a DAW, with his tediuous sounds setup.
Connecting Orb composer to Mulab should be for extra effects tracks ?
Last edited by janhardo on Mon May 13, 2019 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

To have a own dedicated computer for music should be the best solution
A ssd for windows 10 and a sdd's for music ..
Luckily i can build my own computer.

For the input side, the guide for - for example - Reaper can be used, with the difference that, as I said, you get a single MIDI stream, not split by port. That doesn't stop you assigning each input to a different VST (or VSTi), for example, by using the channel:
Each instrument in Orb Composer sends its Midi Notes Data to the DAW on both an orb port and a midi channel.
For the output side (MIDI sync), MULAB sends MIDI clock - Continue, Tick, Stop and Position messages -- I'm assuming this is what the Orb Out wants from the following:
This port sends the clock, play/pause/continue instructions to Orb Composer.
Note that you can send MIDI out to a specific port configured under Mulab->MIDI Set up. You can send the sequencer clock directly to this port - right click the tempo indicator and select "Choose MIDI Clock Output Module".

Yes, i choose MIDI Clock Output Module in Mulab and it points to the modular area.
What else i must do to make a setup for ORB in Mulab ?

Read the manual? That's where I found all that out from.

Thanks, i must study the MUlab manual then where i can read how this Midi Clock Output Module is explained and how to setup in the modular area.
Ideal is that all modules are explained with some applied examples
Hopefully there is a introduction to find in the MUlab manual of the modular area.

Can't find it in the manual ..is there a alphabetical oversight of the modules in Mux inside MUlab?
It is that ORB is connected to MUlab, it is not Mulab is connected to a Midi gear? (ORB ? )

Return to “MUTOOLS”