Difference between event & modulation signals

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all !
I must precise what I'd like to know in the title.

For instance, I can modulate the filter cutoff with modulation signal coming from an envelope. But I also can modulate the same filter parameter by using a parameter event generator set on filter cutoff. The second solution allows me to see the filter cutoff knob moving.

But will the result be the same ? I mean, is the frequency rate of event and modulation signals the same ? Are they both accurate the same ?
In comparaison with audio signal in which there are sample rate and bit resolution, I'd like to know if event and modulation signals have the same sample rate and bit resolution.

Thank you for the information ! :)
Musica ! here

Events are discrete, modulation signals are continuous.
When you want to smoothly modulate eg a filter cutoff, best to use a modulation signal.

Thanks for that fast answer !
So... Discret, continuous, that means that modulation signal has a better bit resolution, right ?

Anyway, ther are different and that's what I wanted to be sure.

Maybe, in order to see the modulated value and see exactly its min and max values, I can use an event parameter generator, then, once I've setup the range modulation as I wish, I can delete the event parameter generator and plug the modulation signal wire in the module modulation input ?
Musica ! here

Discrete means "it happens" and it's over and done with. It's like receiving a letter.

Continuous means "it's there" and it keeps being there. It's like watching television.

The letter might contain far more information and take up less time to process than what you're watching on television.

pljones wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:17 pm Discrete means "it happens" and it's over and done with. It's like receiving a letter.

Continuous means "it's there" and it keeps being there. It's like watching television.

The letter might contain far more information and take up less time to process than what you're watching on television.
Well... That add more confusion to me... :D Anyway, as Mutools said, if I want to smoothly modulate a parameter, modulation signal is the best... Mmmm... Is it ?
Musica ! here

Well I think if Jo says it is then it must be, he made it so should know best :hihi:
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

pljones wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:17 pm Discrete means "it happens" and it's over and done with. It's like receiving a letter.

Great analogy, thanks :)

:)
Musica ! here

Return to “MUTOOLS”