MuLib : MuLab & MUX Modular Community Library

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MuLib is a common library on the internet for MuLab projects, MUX presets, MuClips, etc...
As more and more users are sharing files for MuLab and MUX Modular and as not all of them can be immediately stored in the packaged factory library, there is a need for a common library where the MuLab & MUX Modular community can share files that are useful to other users.
That's MuLib 8)

MuLib is located here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

The _Inbox sub-folder is where users can upload new files to be shared.
Please only upload files that are really useful to other MuLab / MUX Modular users.
Please also note that by uploading files into MuLib you agree that anyone can use these files or create and share variations of it.
If you create a variation of an existing MuLib file and you would go public with it, please do respect the original creator and credit him/her where appropriate.

Also note that when you upload files that use samples in the factory library (the one packaged with MuLab / MUX Modular) that's all fine of course, no copyright issues.
But when uploading files that use other samples, then make sure these samples are copyright-free.

To upload files into the _Inbox you'll need a permission.
That's to avoid that anyone on the globe could upload anything, even junk files.
To get permission to upload into _Inbox, just ask one of the MuLib managers:

AndreasD
bibz1st
dakkra
pljones
Taifunk
urvieh

Only the MuLib managers can move the files from the _Inbox into the effective MuLib sub-folders, and give permission to upload into _Inbox. The reason why only a select group of users can edit MuLib is to ensure that MuLib keeps a neat organisation. When everyone would be able to edit MuLib, chance is too high it could result in chaos. And that's not what we want.

Please always stay gentle and respectful towards the MuLib managers, they're only doing this as voluntary support. They have no obligations at all. Thanks!

Info for the MuLib managers:

About MuLib's folder structure:
The top sub-folder structure should separate the different file types ie. MuLab projects, MUX presets, MuClips, ...
Then within these folders there should be categoric sub-folders like "Bass", "Vintage", "Trance Leads", "Organs", ...
Besides the categoric sub-folders you can also choose to group all files of the same creator eg "AndreasD" but please do this within each file type folder, not at MuLib's top level.
Grouping files per creator is not a must, it's just an option.
Goals of all is that it should be easy for users to find what they're looing for :)

Thanks to everyone contributing to MuLib!

Enjoy Making Music!

thats real, realy cool jo. and it will be so easy to find additional presets! :-)

Great work. Thanks. :tu:
One thing that causes way to many clicks is that the named folders are wholly unnecessary.
I'm talking about the User named folders within a sub-group.
It is useful that some may want to download a specific users presets, but this is a poor way of organising them.

Is there a way to upload files according to Synth/FX type and have links to these within a separate folder for a specific User's presets?
Just to help find them either way.

I was just going to make a post and request this very idea Monday but got busy. There are SO many good instruments & FX being made that there's no way to search through old posts to find them. Woot! :D
"Music is directly tied to the technology of a culture."
"Modular gear is the craft beer of music."

:tu: cool :clap:
Orion, Bitwig, Tracktion, Mixbus :party: :tu: :clap:
Win 10, intel i7, ram 20 steinberg UR22mkII :wink:

So how do we upload to MuLib? Or do we rely on the Managers to do that for us?
How are we supposed to know who these managers are?

mutools wrote:To upload files into the _Inbox you'll need a permission.
That's to avoid that anyone on the globe could upload anything, even junk files.
To get permission to upload into _Inbox, just ask.

mutools wrote: Only a select group of users can move the files from the _Inbox into the effective MuLib sub-folders, and give mermission to upload into _Inbox. They're the MuLib managers.
The reason why only a select group of users can edit MuLib is to guarantee that MuLib keeps a neat organisation. When everyone would be able to edit MuLib, chance is too high it could result in chaos. And that's not what we want.
Ah! I was reading this and got it wrong. :oops:
Thanks pljones :tu:

Shouldn't existing users automatically be given permission?
Or would this be less secure?
I see little difference between purchasing a license then requesting permission rather than being given permission upon purchase.

The MuLib Managers should be called Rarians, as in Mu LibRarians.

Also, if every upload had Creator Info, they would not need user folders,
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I try to keep my local user library sorted by contributor currently, so I quite like the idea of MuLib being like that too. It's mostly because I know who to credit -- so yes, if everything has Creator Info, that need is met for me, though it's a tiny bit more effort to find than simply looking in the user library hierarchy... :)

However, it does also help in avoiding name clashes -- i.e. who gets to have (wild example!) "MaxCompressor" as a patch name if there are multiple submissions wanting it - the first person, the "best" patch, some other criteria? I'd rather have sub-folders for creators than patch names with the creator name in, myself.

Really nice! The library we were dreaming of for ages!

Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

If someone is looking for a particular type of effect, and three users have each made one (with cryptic names) how can they find all of them?
If I modify your preset, where does it go?
Some preset libraries have the designer's initials after the preset name. Naming conventions can also help.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

google drive does provide custom fields or metadata. to get access of this feature it has to be a custom file-upload where users are able to add additional Information for the files.

https://developers.google.com/drive/v3/web/properties

how it could be done with google app script:
https://ctrlq.org/code/19747-google-forms-upload-files

Michael L wrote:If someone is looking for a particular type of effect, and three users have each made one (with cryptic names) how can they find all of them?
If I modify your preset, where does it go?
Personally, I see naming by creator as sub-ordinate to naming by type, rather than "along side" - again, that's how I do it; reverbs might contain a folder for runaudio, as an example, with one or more entries. If I modify one of the presets just by tweaking knobs, it gets saved alongside the original; if I modify it by repatching the MUX, I save it as a new MUX - I wouldn't want the original author being blamed for my mess :).

One thing I don't like about Google Drive is you can't just expand all the folders to see what's there - you have to drill down into each one. That does make extra levels less helpful.

Michael L wrote: Also, if every upload had Creator Info, they would not need user folders,
Well, yeah isn't that the point of having it in the first place? :shrug:

Return to “MUTOOLS”